Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Sankari

Sankari Member

2. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

rofl... a coffee cup can kill you :)

3. Zee

Zee Member

Yes - specifically, Engineers, and the backing off of gravity affects in all the wrong ways.

Really early in, we had, for lack of a better word, "Engineered" weapons. Focused, long range, cool, overcharged etc all existed, but they were effectively pre-balanced, so that they did not really give you a big advantage over a regular A-grade weapon of the same type, what it did was help you find tune your combat style. Cooler running for stealth builds, long range for snipers, etc, all at cost.

Engineers has produced shield improvements to and firepower improvements (let alone everything else) that makes the difference between A grade and E grade seem trivial. As a newbie, you won't stand a chance until many hundreds of hours of grinding, and then you're rewarded with hour long shield tanking battles...

Power creep is more like power FSD jumps.

The flight model itself is actually fun, and the nerfing of yaw does kinda do what it is meant to, though I still think they over did it, and would have been better off using a pilot black out type system to prevent turreting.

The devs are also historically useless at balancing anything, take a stupidly overpowered weapon to the point of uselessness, and never bothering to get back to it, rather than a nudge at a time approach.

Z...

4. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Have you even watched that video or did you just go off the title? Those guys conclude that they don't think it's a scam, just that Roberts isn't up to the task of getting it finished.

In a Ponzi/Pyramid scheme investors are paid returns using money from later investors. Given that buying a video game isn't an investment and nobody buying Star Citizen expects to earn money from doing so, it's clearly not a Ponzi scheme.

Just because some people regret backing the game and want out doesn't make it a scam. I regret buying DayZ. A game which was never really finished despite an eternity in public alpha. Should I consider that to be a scam just because I don't like where it ended up?

5. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

It's not a scam, I just can't give you what you've paid for!

6. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

And I'm using the money you already gave me, for new things!

macktheknife likes this.
  7. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

We've all seen self-funded games fall over from alphas in the past, once the interest and funding dries up - no publishers will touch it and the whole thing falls over in a heap, Nothing on this scale though, it would be spectacular.

I'm quite surprised they haven't prioritised the release of the single player game (first episode) over the MMO game development, the idea was the continued episodes helped fund the MMO game. Roberts' stubbornness to make each game perfect and equal in tech and assets before launch, will be his undoing.

macktheknife likes this.
  8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The first episode was changed completely from what was originally planned. The original plan was essentially stock cryengine with heavily scripted gameplay/cinematics. I don't think anyone really knows what it would have been like, but my guess is something like the Battlefield 3 campaign.

At some point Chris Roberts changed this to include planets and everything else the MMO has planned and expanded the game a lot.

I would say he probably made the right business decision for various reasons

1. I doubt the original idea of the game would have sold that many additional copies and wouldn't have created enough funding to financially support the MMO for the extremely long time its going to be in development.

2. The original idea wasn't good enough to split from the MMO, they are currently selling it for $45 USD (65 AUD). Originally you could buy both games for 30 USD and less in the kickstarter.'

3. Releasing the original idea would have deflated the hype massively for anything in the future, especially the MMO.

Chris Roberts is essentially putting it all on red and hoping for the best.

9. sparz14

sparz14 Member

huh? That's his idea... Get SQ42 out and then use those funds to continue working on SC. Both SC and SQ42 use the same assets. Any work on one is directly or indirectly working on the other in some form. You do understand that certain ships are being developed before others because these will be in SQ42... Same with all of the tech

10. Nian

Nian Member

I always thought the best way to fund the game would be to do a Warthunder / World of Planes like F2P moba. Use the current fighter assets, get a tech tree going....

11. Sankari

Sankari Member

No, he's convincing other people to put it all on red and hope for the best. It's their money at stake, not his. No matter what happens to this project, he'll walk away with a nice pile of dollarydoos.

c4dderly and FoxMaN like this.
  12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Not at all, if anything his stakes are even higher.

If Star Citizen fails he won't have any recurring income, and no customer or company will want to deal with him in any future endeavors.

At the very least he would be aiming for a full release and an average game that isn't particularly bad or good, anything else and he's screwed.

13. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Ummm.... Are you unable to understand why he had to kick-start in the first place? He has been a red flag for many years

BAK and Fortigurn like this.
  14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

He has some reputation from Freelancer, but nothing particularly negative.

My feeling at least reading the comments during the kickstarter was that the money literally being thrown at him would solve any potential problems he might be prone to like in his past.

Either way he's completely screwed if Star Citizen fails.

15. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Wow, you do you man. Props to you for still believing

16. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Props? It is borderline insanity at this point.

qwertylesh and FoxMaN like this.
  17. BAK

BAK Member

18. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Yeah but if I say that he will go on another rant how everything is fine

[​IMG]

19. miicah

miicah Member

hmmmm, doesn't sound familiar at all does it?

20. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

And it shipped after they booted him from the project haha