Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

2. sparz14

sparz14 Member

What's funny? 5 years in the field..... Senior is more around aptitude and performance rather than years of experience. I know plenty of Seniors in their mid-late 20s

3. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

All we wanted was Wing Commander 5 mixed with Mass Effect. SC is not a scam as they are definitely developing something, it was all happy go lucky for backers (despite the project burning $3M+ USD a month in costs) - until CR and his "VP Of Marketing" actress wife recently bought their personal $4.7M USD mansion, as a wake up call for many. No "poor but passionate developers doing hard hours to try and get a game completed so they can all get the big bucks" here.

This project has well moved beyond how to plan and develop a game as promised using their record breaking budget already provided, to now prioritising ways to obtain extra money from their backers to maintain these costs for years and years that afford the directors and considerable staff continual income until it is finished. Actual sales of the games after their eventually published, don't even seem to be on their mind. You can't rush excellence, just keep funding it.

With no end in sight, as more and more backers become disillusioned and stop paying, something will have to give and either things will change drastically or the whole thing might just fall over.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    miicah, NismoR31, Bold Eagle and 3 others like this.
  4. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Yeah I see nothing wrong with that in particular, I am in software developer and one of our company directors is in his early 30s, and he worked his way to that position from graduate developer

5. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Yep, we keep saying this. There is literally no need for this endless monetization. Roberts said a couple of years back that they had all the money they needed to complete the game. But no, they must continue to clutch for as much cash as they can.

Bold Eagle, XanaTos and Sankari like this.
  6. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Projects go up on Kickstarter with no return until the project is 100% complete and no one bats an eye. Have a project where the company gives *something* in return whilst you wait and everyone thinks the sky is falling.

Shit, i've paid $100 for a PC game to play it for 20 hours and dump it in the cupboard to never see it again (Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, CS:GO - none of these lived up to their predecessors IMO
    ). I know i've gotten more than a couple hundred hours of entertainment out of "the shitty tech demo" star citizen and im fine with it

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  7. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

And that's fine, the problem is people/CIG saying it's something it's not and coercing other people to throw their money in as well without clearly stating the projects flaws. It's disingenuous and makes people call it a scam :rolleyes:

Sankari and Fortigurn like this.
  8. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

You haven't actually addressed the objections people are raising. Additionally, your Kickstarter analogy is false since Kickstarter projects don't keep returning to their backers and asking them for more and more money for nearly a decade after their original goal was reached.

Sphinx2000 and Sankari like this.
  9. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Because ultimately it's a business. If people want to keep throwing money at them why the fuck would they say no? I don't agree with all their monetization (stupid high prices and cash grabs like the land claims) but I don't fault them for not killing the goose that's laying the golden eggs.

Maybe there would be less aggro against the game if they didn't go so hard with it, but some seem to want to see it fail right from the initial kickstarter success so who knows?

10. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Because a business is going to state their own flaws and expect people to invest? I don't know what kind of CEO you've been, but that's not going to work. Every business is going to sell themselves in any way they can. What you're expecting is some fairyland scenario that doesn't exist, anywhere

11. miicah

miicah Member

But people DO get a (working) product.

Do you think people would be understandably pissed of if Musk had never delivered any Teslas?

Sankari likes this.
  12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

The fact that RSI has released "Alpha" demos is a non-issue for me, because that was part of the initial pledge was that as a subscriber to the project you would get "exclusive access" to "Alpha" releases, this was fantastic because I could track the progress, the issue is the "progress" or lack of. Software requires you to get to a Minimum Viable Product before adding new features, be real nice if someone with that much experience would focus on a MVP release that was playable to some degree, but represented 90% with out the cosmetic polish! Watch any game dev video of a franchise release and it starts with game mechanics using crude graphics to make to work then they polish the turd till it vajazzles and sparkles like a cubic zirconia.

After 7+ years all I have is disappointment in the progress.

NismoR31, Bold Eagle, FoxMaN and 3 others like this.
  13. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

So companies misleading consumers is now okay as long as it's CIG. Got it.

Consumers misleading other consumers is now okay as long as it's for a CIG product. Got it.

c4dderly, Fortigurn and Sankari like this.
  14. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Umm no you are wrong, there are specific laws that even software companies must adhere to, especially in Australia.

Zenimax (Fallout 76) just witnessed this first hand.

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/zenimax-to-refund-consumers-for-the-fallout-76-game

Under Australian law you cannot mislead consumers.

FoxMaN, Fortigurn and Sankari like this.
  15. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Citizen 2049 looking impressive.... more evidence that there is alot going on regarding improved/new tech.

16. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Only caught the opener, a bit of the planet tech V4 presentation, bit of the economy presentation and the closing. It's all looking pretty good.

All planets updated to v4 for 3.8. Possibly an end to regular wipes as well. Microtech and New Babbage look great as did the weather. Pyro system next year. 4.0 is probably when we'll get that.

Sounds like the new combined arms game mode will be good. They haven't uploaded the other presentations yet so I haven't seen it myself.

sparz14 likes this.
  17. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

So I've watched the opening presentation and what I assume is about half of the closing presentation, some thoughts/questions:
    • VOIP servers dead, I seriously wonder if they test this stuff before the demo's, it looks to still be broken in the closing presentation
    • Where's Sandi? Bailed with the cash? I'm used to seeing her at the start bumbling or crying
    • Why the hell is Chris just yelling directions to the producers whilst on stage? God damn he is a muppet "PLAYER 1 ON THE MIDDLE SCREEN"
    • The initial entry into the ice planet looks horrible, not sure if its YT compression but god damn
    • We have a new breed of super space trees capable of surviving -123c
    • Chris has said the dirty P word... procedural... I want my 100 hand crafted artisinal planets
    • When is new babbage? 3.9? is that mid/end next year?!
    • 7/12 goals met last year, how far off are the other 5? Also I cant believe 2 of the 7 were "buying ships" and "renting ships" :lol:
    • Why are people genuinely excited to not be losing aUEC/progression every release? They should've added this years ago if they wanted people to ACTUALLY test their product, which I'm pretty sure they dont. It costs them too much in hardware and the game is too broken. Its easier just to sell dreams and JPGs

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    miicah and Sankari like this.
  18. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Wait are these wormholes mini game loading screens?
    "We streamed out x and streamed in y" - Chris

19. bart5986

bart5986 Member

It seems like they essentially gave away the real release date for Star Citizen?

I only skimmed the video but noticed something very interesting

Server meshing is "most likely not going to be finished by the end of next year", which basically means it won't be completed until 2021, which I'm guessing means late 2021 for final release.

I guess its nice to hear that its at least being worked on finally since in my opinion its the only feature that matters.

You can tell from the footage that its essentially streaming in the assets while you fly through the wormhole.

This is present in most modern games which you notice from the buildings and people popping in when you fly into cities in GTA, PUBG etc. This is unavoidable as you can't load the entire universe into your ram and video memory.

Its not a loading screen in the traditional sense of loading screens that most games have.

20. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

3.7.2 just went live.

There's a week long free fly this week tied in to the in game ship expo. We'll be able to try (almost?) every flight ready ship with different manufacturers ships available each day.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//17351-Anniversary-Promotion-Free-Fly-Details

Microtech and New Babbage will be in 3.8 which is end of December. It won't have the full interior though. That will come in 3.9 which is 3 months later, along with Microtech's moons.

It'll be interesting to see if people can stop in the wormholes and see other players going through. Not that there's much room or time to attack people. That would make it more of a transitional map than a loading screen map.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019