Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Whats new in 3.7.2? Need to know if I should choke my internet for the update to laugh some more.

Oh so it's a loading screen but not, so you can still defend it being seamless. Got it.

Sankari likes this.
  2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm not sure why you are struggling to understand. Why is it a problem if there are two types of loading screens that exist in video games? Can you not handle it that concept?

Since you are still struggling so badly, here is another way to look at it.

A traditional loading screen can't be skipped or removed or the person would be looking at a black screen.

This type of "loading screen" if you want it call it that can easily be removed, with the downside that you would watch the assets around you get rendered at the speed of your computer as you are essentially teleporting into a completely new gamespace instead of flying there, which allows your computer to load it as you get closer without noticing.

I would guess that a big reason why the wormhole was implemented besides for aesthetic reasons is that people without a very high end computer would be unable to see enemies, buildings and other things for a short time which would be dangerous for them and their ship. This is exactly what happens in some existing video games which causes problems and death.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  3. nope

nope Member

no memes is this EVER coming out ?

4. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Zero mention of Squadron 42.

5. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Talk to me the 10th time youve gone through a wormhole and tell me you wouldnt prefer a loading screen. Its just another stupid mechanic in a broken game.

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Thats actually a fair comment, we won't know that until we play it but I imagine a lot of people with high end computers would prefer it to be over once it has finished streaming all the new assets in.

7. nope

nope Member

Star Citizen, Squadron 42 Episode 1 is currently listed on it’s roadmap for having a feature complete BETA Q3 2020 and we are expecting a good amount of news from the Upcoming CitizenCon on the 23rd of November about the Single Player Campaign of Star Citizen we do have a lot of updates

8. sparz14

sparz14 Member

very interesting from 6:18:00.... or 6:42:00 if you just like pretty pictures....

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  9. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Here's the v4 planet tech presentation. Nice to see they've got elevation and climate affecting things like snow. The terrain is looking pretty realistic. We just need rivers now :)

Skip to 44:00 if you want to see what the current moons/planets look like in 3.8.

Here's Tony Z's background simulation talk. I've only seen the 2nd half where he shows the dynamic economy tool and how it will work for the game.

The new game mode which is a bit like Battlefield/Planetside but it's only 20v20 at the moment. Hopefully SSOCS will allow them to increase the player count. For PU as well. Sean also mentions they're improving the horrendous netcode.

You could say that of any aspect of any game that you have to repeat. I think it's much more of a loading screen than other forms of travel in the game though. Each system is a map and will probably be on a different server. So it's probably giving time to sync from one server to another, not just streaming in the new map for the player as happens when you QT.

3.7.2 added more for the ship show at ArcCorp which starts tonight and some bug fixes. The Pisces is in game now as well.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...-citizen-alpha-3-7-2-live-3658647-patch-notes

10. Sankari

Sankari Member

'So before we look ahead to next month's accounts, just remind me how we spent the last $15 million of November's budget.'

'Most of it went on a loading screen.'

'Hahah! Bloody fantastic. Well done everyone, you've earned a 2 hour lunch. See you back here at 3pm for early drinks.'

11. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Let me just clear this up, I don't have an issue with loading screens. My issue is being told how it's going to be seamless and it's not.

12. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Given CR said something along the lines of 'if you dont control your ship successfully through the wormhole, you can fall out'. Why do you think this is a loading screen? Have you even watched any of the stream?

13. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

He also said it would space you into nothing and damage your ship. So if you fall out we cancel the load and give your ship damage. That's like loading into a game of Dota but playing Tetris during the load and if I fail it reboots my computer.

14. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

The in game footage "demo" from 4-8 minute mark looked like a janky and jerky mess. :(
    Is this really official?

Sankari likes this.
  15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Thats a very good point.

Star Citizen has no maps, everything is streamed in as you fly.

My understanding is there is one grand server and with server meshing everything happens in the background without any real handoff to another server.

Chris Roberts wasn't particularly detailed in the CitizenCon 2949 video but did indicate that if too many players are in one area, more servers are opened to handle the load, but this doesn't separate the players like you would expect in Elder Scrolls Online for example.

16. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

You don't stop playing the game for the jump. That's how it's a seamless transition.

The pilot has to continue using inputs to get through and passengers on the ship would still be able to walk around chatting/interacting through the whole process. Players deep in a large ship with no windows would be oblivious to the whole process apart from audio clues, just as they are with current QT jumps.

17. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

You're clearly unable to see the point I'm trying to make.

Enjoy your colon exploration mini game while the actual game is loading, I'm sure it will be about as quick to load as it is now.

18. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

I can move around the ship in the Warframe loading screen, does this mean its not a loading screen too coz its taking my input?

FoxMaN likes this.
  19. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

I didn't say it's not a loading screen. I said it's a seamless transition because you don't stop playing the game while it loads. Bart said it's not a loading screen in the traditional sense meaning that the game doesn't stop while you stare at a static image with a progress bar and a gameplay tip while the next map is loaded. Surely that's not difficult to understand.

If Warframe works the same way then it's also not a traditional static loading screen. If everyone on your ship continues without interruption as you go from one location to the next then it's also a seamless transition from one map to the next, because you weren't stopped from actively playing at any point in the process.

Being an mmo with multicrew ships that could have dozens or more players onboard, I think having everyone stop and stare at a static screen while they wait for the player with the slowest computer to load the next area would suck more than one player having to navigate the colonoscopy while everyone else onboard continues uninterrupted. Might be why Warframe doesn't do it that way either.

20. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Cool so elite dangerous is seamless too cos me and anyone else on the ship can interact with the ship in witchspace