Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

So, like every other MMO or multiplayer only game which doesn't allow people to host their own servers. You pay for the entertainment of playing and with 30+ hours in the current build alone I'd say I got something in return for my money.

Maybe next time I go to the movies I should demand a copy of the dvd so I don't leave without an asset. What asset should I expect to get if I pay to watch a sporting event?

bart5986, bassyblue and Nethiuz like this.
  2. v81

v81 Member

I don't get all the fuss.
    Everything SC and SQ42 is going according to plan, we should be excited.
    Just disregard the fact the plan changes frequently and at random, and the plan primarily consists of candy to attract more $$$ rather than real content.

3. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

It's crazy they still haven't put our SQ42 yet.

4. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Don't ignore the facts, at the end of 2018 CI posted their financials for 2017 stating a decline in income from previous years, yet an increase in expenditure and they only had $14.2 million USD leftover in the bank - despite raising $227+ million over the last 6 years. Then they announced an $46 million single (emergency IMO) investment by selling 10% of the company off. Any pledges made are now non-refundable after 30 days. These are all bad figures, especially when the game has years and years to go.

The figures they post for 2018 at the end of this year will be very interesting to read.

Fortigurn likes this.
  5. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Great so you've given us an example where money is safe from a company going bankrupt.

What about most of the game and software industry being based on a service that you don't own?

I'm not saying we should give in and accept it, but that same money people might spend on a Star Citizen ship is also spent on countless "service" things outside star citizen or even gaming that can disappear tomorrow.

Consider World of Warcraft...

$15 a month and you get nothing in return but the ability to play the game. If you play for years and years like many people, thats $540 every 3 years.

The whole idea stupid anyway.

Duke Nukem Forever was a short singleplayer campaign with no real future of income and they still got purchased from another company.

Star Citizen has insane modern technology that I guarantee you that any company would love to get their hands on.

If something was to happen there would be offers coming from every single company for it, although I imagine some of those offers would be forcing Chris Roberts to step down to an adviser :lol:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Nethiuz likes this.
  6. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

So I'm interested to know how you know what position they're in now considering they're about to break their yearly income record?

7. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Here's the deal... again. Personally I'm not against people putting their disposable income into the game, if you believe in the lies so be it. The problem lies in the marketing and "sales" that CIG have, limited time offers of a digital asset is seriously as scummy as it gets, and fucking LTI isn't much better, its such a garbage veiled "get it while it lasts" cash grab attempt, yet some idiot here was going on about his 10 year LTI, it was lifetime this time last year right? Better get your 10 year LTI quick, it'll be 5 years in 2 months! It makes me seriously sick.

There are some people I've seen heavily invested in this, not just financially but emotionally, it's honestly disgusting to think what might happen to some of these people if this shit falls apart, and every other week CIG send out another email to fleece them some more.

Then there's people like you telling everyone else how it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. My biggest objective is to make sure, wherever I can, to let people know there are plenty of people who aren't disillusioned by the state of this project like the fanatics are.

I mean, I've spent probably close to $2000 on sim racing shit this year between hardware and content, and not once was I coerced by some faithful to part with my money to buy a DD wheel/full motion rig etc. Most said to start small and see if you like it, some said it was complete bullshit and not to bother. I then did the research myself and worked out what I wanted to do, by myself, without some shill shoving their agenda down my throat.

Fortigurn, miicah and Sankari like this.
  8. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

See, the problem here is people shit completely on the game and CIG no matter what they do and when people come out to defend it, hell, even talk about it or what they did in game, we get called cultists and we’re shills.

Look in a mirror.

Nethiuz likes this.
  9. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Maybe you should look into why so many people shit on the game, I've seen this happen a few times in recent years and it's always been for a reason. I didn't see people working this hard to defend EA and battlefront 2

Sankari likes this.
  10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You are making a lot of assumptions about things that you have no actual experience with. And with the amount of press this game has, do you really think your attempt at being a white knight actually does anything? It Doesn't. Jump in a time machine and go back to when your opinion might have done something.

At this point "in your world", you've walked into the Christian Church and you are having a big tantrum to everyone inside about how its a huge scam.

You just assume everyone spend their life savings and will fall apart if everything doesn't work out, but you've just made all this up in your head to justify yourself.

Nothing is set in stone yet and some of us just want to talk about the game rather then every week someone coming in and going "HURR DURR IS VAPOURWARE NOT OUT YET?" or "I TRIED THIS ALPHA AND IT HAS BUGS, THIS IS SHIT" :rolleyes:

We actually get some genuine negative comments in here which is fine, its a shame 80% of it is just trolling/idiots who haven't even played the game or looked at the current stage of the game.

Nethiuz likes this.
  11. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

And yet, people were shitting on SC all because of a campaign by DS and goon squad and it became the popular way to talk about it. Well before BF2.

You seem to think I don’t know my history regarding Sc, CIG and the like.

Nethiuz likes this.
  12. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

13. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

The 2017 financials didn't paint a rosy picture IMO. It looked like they could potentially blow their savings in 2-3 years. 2015 and 2017 had net losses of 5.8M and 5M and income was down on the previous 2 years. But in 2018 they appear to have earned at least 3M more than 2017 and 2019 is higher still.

I didn't think they money would keep rolling in like it has and also thought the 46M could have been a bit of a panic move, but they seem pretty stable now. We'll have to see what their expenses have been like, but they were steady from 2015-2017. You never know when people could decide enough is enough though.

Not too different to the response I see when people asking about buying Star Citizen while watching streamers etc. Try it first in a free fly or a starter package. No need to spend more as you'll be able to get better ships in game. Only buy it if you can deal with it's alpha state and be aware of it's protracted development history etc etc.

The only ones I see shoving an agenda down peoples throats are people like you who think you need to save people because you've joined the scam bandwagon.

bart5986 and bassyblue like this.
  14. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

i'll spend $300 on a night in the city, get munted not remember it and that was 8 hours of fun.
    Star Citizen has been a better ROI for me for sure.

bassyblue likes this.
  15. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

It remains to be seen, but for 2018 figures I would warrant a guess that it will still show a decline in sales over previous years and they are still losing $5-10 million a year.
    As more and more backers become disillusioned or disinterested with the prolonged delays, it will become harder and harder to maintain previous income levels.

That being said, the $46 million 10% stake that they said was "for marketing of SQ42" will instead be distributed to pay expenses across all companies, which should grant them 2-3 more years of treading water to hopefully get their product out in time without having to significantly reduce overheads, which would delay products even more. We shall see.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

This isn't a problem though in my opinion, assuming they are able to finish the game.

Based on the current build its already obvious that the multiplayer part of the game would make plenty of money on release, there are simply way too many untapped players who have not yet purchased the game.

The quality of the game will affect how big the game will be and how much after release updates the game gets.

The point is that they only have to last until release, after that their expenses will drop dramatically, either that or the expenses will shift to Chris Robert's next project :lol:

17. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

We have this but it only has figures for the UK office.
    https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/annual-companies-house-report

Increased revenue but increased costs giving ~$1MUSD loss. But we don't know what the revenue split between the US and UK/DE branches is. Full figures including the US are supposed to be coming at the end of the year.

Also this statement which confirms the 46M wasn't just for marketing
    "This investment was to provide added security and additional funds to allow it to push the games to fruition and market them to a wider audience."

The funding tracker spreadsheet is still being updated. It doesn't include subscriptions etc, which may have dropped due to people not liking the reduction in video content.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/

2017: $34,912,412
    2018: $37,759,020
    2019: $39,145,154 @ Dec 3.

Nethiuz and Sphinx2000 like this.
  18. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Going to break $42 million this year, easy.

Nethiuz likes this.
  19. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

so the only people who think star citizen is money well spent are people who waste $300 on a night they can't remember

FerrisXB9R and Fortigurn like this.
  20. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Bought Elite Dangerous the other day while it was on sale <$11. No idea how people can compare these games. Elite feels like such a chore. I'd rather play Star Citizens 'tech demo'

Nethiuz likes this.