Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

And yet, it’s clarified in multiple places. You just choose to ignore them. The “real quick” bit is a quick Kickstarter description with no detail.
    Yeah. It wasn’t an mmo originally. And?

Freelancer didn’t have a PU, it had multiplayer servers. Not the way they’ve described the PU in star citizen.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  2. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I always thought it to be an online game (yeah with an offline perspective i guess), so i could play with a group of friends!
    Not MMO as such but it did progress into that, wait it hasn't but supposedly with meshing it will? Who knows.
    I just want my Corsair :p

3. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

So it's not what you backed.. obviously :rolleyes:
    Would you consider GTA5 and RDR2 MMO's? They both have single player with persistent multiplayer elements. I'm not ignoring things, especially the part where they specifically say it's not an MMO.

Private servers still a thing? What about modding? After all they combine to form the core of the experience you backed...

So far it's funding a continual bait and switch alpha.

4. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Fun fact: SC was originally designed for player run multiplayer servers, similar to Freelancer, Rust, etc, and you would be able to run your own server settings, etc.
    Not the back-end resource monster it is today, and it still is limited to 50 players per server. Even if they get server meshing design from last decade working, the amount of infrastructure required to run 1000's of concurrent players won't be cheap.

5. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I agree and i don't mind player dedicated servers, as long as it can handle a decent amount of people and i can search a list of servers to join if i don't want to run one. Could find some cool RP ones or something!
    I have zero knowledge of meshing or the engine used etc, but Planetside 2 can run 2,000 players a server, ground vehicles, infantry, space ships etc all in one location, it's not as large a map but the point is if SSOCS works it would be a real feat having everyone in the one location! If an old game can do it, can SC? I am sure SC is infinitely more complex to run but eh.

6. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Part of the reason they switched to Lumberyard IIRC.

7. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

So when I’m talking about squadron 42, you start talking about star citizen. You switch between them. I said squadron 42 is what I backed and you start talking about the star citizen elements.

I’m more than happy with how the development and feature scope has turned out.

8. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

You're the one switching between them.. I clearly stated SQ42 is part of the game you backed and said the rest had changed.. :rolleyes: You're also forgetting that SQ42 was a story driven campaign WITHIN SC, not a separate game.

9. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Yeah. It was a single player campaign with multiplayer PU provided by an online service. The online co-op was the axed drop-in/out in squadron 42. Not the PU.
    As far as the campaign and PU were concerned, they were separate entities. Like resident evil 3 and the new multiplayer mode they’re pushing with it.

10. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Cloud Imperium posted their 2018 (not 2019) financials a few days ago: https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cloud-imperium-financials-for-2018
    In Summary: Total Income: $48.934 million, Total Expenses: $56.167 million (!!), so net loss of: $7.233 million. Cash on hand without investment: $6.995 million.

Man, the Calder investment absolutely saved them, huh? They had less than another year's potential cumulative loss on hand at the end of 2018.
    I have a feeling that 2019 will show that subscriptions have all but evaporated, after they dropped a lot of the regular subscriber content.

Fortigurn likes this.
  11. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Probably a good thing that this year is surpassing last in funding by a lot then.

Nethiuz likes this.
  12. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Care to provide evidence for that statement? Kickstarter era evidence that is.

13. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Hold on. Are you trying to say that the single player and the persistent universe are the same thing here?
    Let’s be clear.

• Squadron 42 - A Wing Commander style single player mode, playable OFFLINE if you want.
    I don’t know about you but that sounds like a campaign mode

“Upon completion of your tour you’ll re-enter the persistent Star Citizen universe with some credits in your pocket and Citizenship to help you make your way.”

And then it dumps you back into the PU afterwards. Hmm. What part am I reading wrong or not explaining to you well?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  14. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

15. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Source?

NM, found it. Now it looks like you're leaving stuff out on purpose.

"If you distinguish yourself in combat, you might be invited to join the legendary 42nd Squadron."

Could just as easily say it's an instanced campaign within SC that results in items and perks within the PU... Hardly separate entities, certainly not separate games.

That SQ42 teaser is extremely disappointing. Cinematic asset showreel. Even includes at least one scene from last years trailer that somehow looks worse.

At least this one from 7 years ago showed some combat...

Fortigurn and Sankari like this.
  16. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

So when you play half-life, do you walk out from the main story straight into deathmath or do you exit to the menu and load into it?
    You might remember me saying that it’s a “campaign set in the star citizen universe” but I guess you still don’t get what I’m saying.

Yeah we get it. Nothing impresses you. Gaming must be boring as hell to you.

You can already see combat in the alpha. This was a *visual* showreel of stuff from S42.

17. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

You're only seeing a tiny glimpse based on a game that has continually missed deadlines and changed goals and scope that is still nowhere close to being finished. I was impressed by some of the things I saw in 2012 and 2015. Now I just want the damn game. If you want to make a judgement on what does or doesn't impress me from that it's up to you. If rehashed teaser trailers with little to no content impress you then that's great, could also be part of the problem. Witcher 3 impressed me greatly, so did KCD. RDR2 was jaw droppingly impressive to the point that I bought a console specifically to play it.

"The singleplayer sort of military campaign side sits inside this whole universe in a holistic fashion" - Chris Roberts from the pitch video.

Fortigurn and Sankari like this.
  18. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

If you’re impressed with RDR2 but ignore the time it took to make it then you have a pretty terrible view on things.

Nethiuz likes this.
  19. Sankari

Sankari Member

Does it really matter how long it took them to make RDR2? The point is that it's a fully completed game that was released to market.

Unlike SC.

DangerMaus and hlokk like this.
  20. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

It kinda does, actually.

Nethiuz likes this.