Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

So your claim is that he was saying "Let me show you what I've been working on - I've been working on a Kickstarter video!"? That's the most pathetic attempt at revisionism I've seen you make yet. Once again you're simply making things up without providing any evidence whatsoever. It's also even more transparently clear that you haven't read the Kickstarter project page.

Here's what he said.

1. That he had been working on a game (not a Kickstarter video or a "scripted Cryengine demonstration"), for a year.
    2. That he had been working on it with a team (not just himself).
    3. That they had a prototype.
    4. That he could have taken his prototype to a publisher to get it greenlit.

Not only is that a lot more than simply a Kickstarter video, it's an explicit claim that he had a prototype which was greenlight ready.

zbone likes this.
  2. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

His “team” was around 7 people including legal and marketing.

3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

No it was a prototype, as he mentioned, which he used for the video and to show people what he envisioned.

The prototype was not built with any additional technologies besides what CryEngine has out of the box. Everyone factually knew that CryEngine was not capable at that point in time of the majority of what the kickstarter for Star Citizen was claiming.

We know all of this from the hangar and early releases of the game.

If Chris Roberts thought he was going to meet the kickstarter date deadlines and use his "prototype" for the final game, it was before any real work at started on the game and any company with knowledgeable staff had been formed.

Chris Roberts never made any claim that he had already created technologies his game needed, we found out he didn't have these made once development started, there is nothing but hoping to use some assets to use from the kickstarter prototype, but they didn't squadren 42 mapped out at that point so they would have just assumed the models would be used somewhere in the future. I don't know the count, but I know a lot of models were recreated or changed anyway.

I don't think there is anything wrong with building a prototype just for the kickstarter. Its basically an artistic impression with the bonus that assets might be able to be used in the real game.

Most kickstarter games are built with engines that can already do what they want, and the scope is much smaller.

Exactly. He used the kickstarter money to form Robert Space Industries so he could create the game.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  4. neRok

neRok Member

Lol. I like this bit;

"This case has been marked by a pattern of CIG saying one thing in its public statements and another in this litigation. For example, at the outset of this case, CIG had publicly claimed it had switched to using the Lumberyard Engine for both Star Citizen and Squadron 42, but was forced to confirm during this litigation that no such switch had taken place."

hlokk likes this.
  5. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Still haven’t seen where they were forced to do that.
    I have seen where the Crytek lawyers purposely misquoted to make it seem like that, though:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...k_crytek_gmbhs_memorandum_in_support/fd5o40w/

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  6. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

So why is eurogamer who has consistently been the only publication I can remember that hasn't dunked on star citizen for being delayed/broken/bad now stirring the pot?

https://www.eurogamer.net/games/star-citizen

Don't commit sudoku eurogamer! If you leave the only publication SC fans will be able to read is that German one!

7. hlokk

hlokk Member

Chris is not capable at any point in time of the majority of what he is claiming.

Has that even changed :lol:

If only the Kickstarter money was all he needed to create the game (y’know, as he promised.

Fortigurn likes this.
  8. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

You said he was working on a video, I pointed out he said he was working on a prototype, and now you reply "No it was a prototype". You're literally hijacking what I wrote and representing it as your own idea.

Totally irrelevant to the point I have made.

And once again ignoring the point I have made.

And once again ignoring the point I have made.

It was not represented as merely a video or an "artistic impression". It was represented as a prototype of a game that he had been working on with a small time for a year. He said it was something he could take to a publisher to get greenlit.

This is the point; he never says anything that you say. Every time you're faced with his actual words, you throw them out and replace them with something you've just made up.

Sphinx2000, FoxMaN and XanaTos like this.
  9. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

At this stage it's looking like SQ42 is going to exist as a paid DLC campaign module inside the always-online MMO PU instead of a seperate game as originally developed as promised.
    This will help them legally and increase delay for release, but they will probably market this as a good thing for crossover reasons - but many backers were only interested in the Wing Commander/SP game that was proposed in the kickstarter

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You seem to misunderstand.

You can call it whatever you want, the point is that whatever Chris Roberts worked on prior to the kickstarter was simply for the kickstarter.

I already said that, and I said it again.

Yes, its called creating something quick in an engine to show the publisher what you want to create, without actually building any of the building blocks required for the game to work.

An example would be scripting an enemy to take cover in a certain place when you throw a grenade in an already decided place, instead of programming AI to take cover based on where you throw the grenade.

A scripted gameplay sequence is nothing compared to a real game, its all in the assets and animations.

It doesn't really matter if its separate or together though, SQ42 uses the MMO engine code anyway.

It could definitely slow down development though depending on how organised they are, I guess potentially it could speed up development in the same way (unlikely :lol:)

11. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Nowhere does it state this at all?
    The article is just Crytek being bitches.

SQ42 will be a standalone and released well before PU they are betting on it to make the rest of the $$. Because Crowd Funding is slowing down!

12. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Hope the sq42 sales cover the lawsuit then

13. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

We can only hope, although Crytek have no leg to stand on!

14. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

If you think crytek are looking to throw money into litigation with no leg to stand on then boy do I have a great jpeg to sell you...

Coma White and hlokk like this.
  15. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Considering their own game agreement lists "space citizen" and squadron 42 as separate games, what leg do you believe they have to stand on?

Nethiuz likes this.
  16. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Who knows what roberts was calling it when he asked for his sizzle reel 10 years ago to drop onto kickstarter.

If you honestly think Crytek are trying to sue CIG with no intention of winning then you're a fool, but you're also overly invested in SC so its not surprising.

17. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

You don't actually know how invested I am. I do, however, know more about the case than you do. You don't seem to get that one of their main arguments is they only gave him the right to make one game and to never be allowed to change engine, in contravention to the usual use of explicit rights terminology.
    Since their own agreement lists two separate games, regardless of what they are called, what do you expect them to do with that?

It's more likely that they just want to be a thorn in CIG's side for longer and for a settlement.

18. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

You should look more in depth into things than just sprouting your confirmation bias on a dodgy article.

I still don't claim SC or CIG to be a shining gem, they have lied, they are late with everything but at least i look at all the evidence.

19. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

My knowledge of the lawsuit predates that article.

I've not said crytek will win or lose. I've said that if you think they are going to sue without the possibility in their mind that they'll win then you are a fool. No one gets themselves into this to lose.

That should be enough discomfort as a backer, the real information will come out in discovery.

Nethiuz likes this.
  20. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

But as I have pointed out, that is not what he said. That's just something you've made up. This is what you always do, make up stuff about what you claim he really said, or even worse make up stuff about what you claim he really meant, even when he didn't say it at all.

Again, he didn't say this. He said he had been working on a game for a year with a small team, already had a prototype, and could go to a publisher to get it greenlit.