Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Faceware already laid out the process of their involvement and none of it involved source code from CIG or crytek. They made an api. Cig implemented it into their version of the engine and the. Requested tweaks and features.

Crytek have not listed any episodes or lines of code, yet, that broke copyright so I doubt any have been taken down.
    Do the episodes have actual cryengine source code in it or star engine code that’s been written by CIG and how do you know the difference?

2. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

I mean I could waste my time going through 70+ videos to find something (thats if they havent deleted it) but if it's just calling a function it's pointless, I can name my functions the same as those I've seen in the CIG code and it doesn't mean I'm copying someone elses code. If Crytek put it on the suit I'm assuming someone there checked the videos and saw it, maybe they didn't.

Faceware says they implemented an API and you believe it, Crytek chucked this copyright into the lawsuit so I guess they saw something. I'm willing to admit they may not have, it's very black and white for you however.

It's been chucked out anyway hasn't it? Like back in 2017?

3. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Just watched this, it looks good but the gameplay doesn't seem that compelling, those mining animations are pretty poor. If the game can actually get completed and all the bugs get smashed it could be a good game, but I just don't have the faith anymore after all this time.

I guess just saying I think the animations look bad and that it's been too long will just get me links to GTA5 development or something like that but whatever

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I don't see the point in complaining that you don't like how unfinished/rough something looks in a pre alpha game.

I was part of the kingdom come alpha and that was absolute garbage, it looked like a bunch of amateurs tried to make a game in CryEngine, it barely worked.

Yet somehow, on release, despite it being buggy, it was one of the best games I've played.

5. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

As far as I was aware the faceware claim was chucked. I’d have to double check. What I said regarding them was what I remember from their statement. I don’t see how people automatically jump to people needing source code for an engine when you’re developing an api that could potentially be used in multiple engines. I also don’t know how they came up with their initial claim.

6. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Well honesty is the way, maybe you will get what you want.
    Best of luck to both of us.

qwertylesh likes this.
  7. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Are we considered to be back in pre-alpha now?
    The Universe Alpha 2.0 was released back in 2015 by the way. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen#Universe

Perhaps we should just call it another never ending Early Access game, like those indie dev ones..

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Sorry you are right, its SQ42 they are calling pre alpha, Star CItizen is in Alpha.

Either way I call it what it is, no where near finished.

I would say its not an early access game as all early access games so far have at least included all engine technologies promised to buyers. Once we have an MMO universe that can actually support an MMO amount of players, maybe we can call it the start of early access.

Honestly at this point, based on the many other bare bones games that have been released, Star Citizen is almost a fully functioning game, but without the engine to allow us to play properly. Thats only comparing to the many "sandbox" repetitive content games that exist, so its low standards.

Chris Roberts gave 2021 as the date he's expecting server meshing to be finished, so its a long wait.

The only game that comes to mind that doesn't, is No Man's Sky, and that was released as a finished game, it was only after release they eventually added features they promised like multiplayer.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  9. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

That is not what he said.

And as I've pointed out, what you are saying is not what he said.

Again, this is what you are claiming he did (without evidence), but not what he said he did. He didn't say it was just a scripted sequence, he said he had a fully working demo. You claimed he was just showing concept art and a trailer, but he specifically said he was not showing concept art and a cinematic trailer, he specifically said he was showing "an extensive demo of actual game play". Not only do you never provide any evidence for your claims about what he said and meant, you don't even know what he actually said in the first place. It's like you never even read the Kickstarter page.

You keep trying to avoid the fact that he said he had been working on the game for a year, which is precisely why his claimed completion date for the entire game was not "Maybe a decade from now, I dunno", but "November 2014".

DangerMaus likes this.
  10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Based on everything people, and most likely you have said about Chris Roberts, now you are telling me that we should believe every word he says?

I see Chris Roberts as a person who knows exactly what a good game is and always tries to follow through on his vision.

I don't think he is particularly good at managing projects (which we already knew) and I do think he has a the tendency to oversell his capabilities (which we already knew)

How many people invested in the kickstarter under the assumption that Chris Roberts was not that? I thought it was pretty obvious based on his history and there was plenty of discussion about this at the time.

A couple of people working on a game for a year means absolutely nothing for a AAA quality game.

That 1 year would have been spent making assets, thinking of ideas, scrapping bad ideas, putting together the kickstarter video and much more, including just simply learning how to use CryEngine and its large learning curve.

I don't know how fast you think people work but 1 year is not very long considering there was no company or team at that point.

I would rewatch the kickstarter video and look at how much effort went into it, its very clear they didn't just build a game and go "why don't we just play the game and record it and show them" the video has had a lot of effort put into it.

11. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

No that is nothing like what I am saying. We know Roberts is unreliable, which is why it's so absurd that Star Citizen cultists keep treating him as reliable. I am saying we cannot trust your claims about what RSI and Roberts have said, or your claims about what RSI and Roberts mean by what they say.

Of course. But that's a different subject; you're not addressing the point I made. The point I made is that you keep making unsubstantiated claims about what RSI and Roberts have said, and you keep making blatantly false and unsubstantiated claims about what RSI and Roberts mean by what they have said.

This is the issue I'm identifying.

RSI: Is Star Citizen an MMO? No!
    SC cultist: What they mean is yes.

Roberts: For a year, I've been working on a game.
    SC cultist: He means that for a year, he has been working on a Kicsktarter video, not a game.

Roberts: This is not just concept art.
    SC cultist: He means this is just concept art.

Roberts: This is not just a cinematic trailer.
    SC Cultist: He means this is just a cinematic trailer.

Roberts: This is an extensive demo of actual game play.
    SC cultist: He means this is just a scripted video which doesn't show actual game play.

Roberts: We already have a game prototype which we could have taken to a publisher to get greenlit.
    SC cultist: He means they just have a game concept which they could discuss with a publisher about maybe turning into a game one day.

Roberts: We have enough money to complete the game, with all the added features, even if everyone stops giving us more money.
    SC cultist: He means they don't have enough money to complete the game, which is why they have to keep asking people give them more money.

12. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

I like the way you dropped the “we have enough money to complete the game” bit but didn’t add the caveats that we’re included that you always ignore.

13. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I addressed that the last time you raised it. The "caveats" do not affect in any way the point being made. Roberts said explicitly that they had enough money to make the game even without any additional funding. There is no way to spin this into non-existence. He didn't say "We might have enough money one day", or "We don't have enough money now, but we will soon". He said "I'm not worried, because even if no money came in, we would have sufficient funds to complete Squadron 42. The revenue from this could in turn be used for the completion of Star Citizen".

DangerMaus, whatdoesthisdo and FoxMaN like this.
  14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Yeah so:

1. You don't trust an opinion that doesn't match yours

2. You don't substantiate your opinion, but want opinions opposing yours substantiated.

3. What Chris Roberts says is fact when it suits your opinion, but a joke when it comes to anything that doesn't suit your opinion.

4. Your opinion is normal and valid, any differing opinion is obviously a "cultist"

5. You keep going around and around in circles bringing up the same issues without any progress like an ex boyfriend who was dumped and doesn't know how to move on in his life.

There isn't anything left for you to discuss with anyone since you clearly aren't willing to have a valid discussion with differing opinions.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  15. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

No. What nonsense. You haven't even attempted to address anything I wrote.

XanaTos likes this.
  16. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

The caveats do apply. They didn’t slow star citizen production to a crawl until squadron 42 was released. That’s literally part of what was clarified...

There really is no point even trying to talk to you.

17. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Please quote the "clarification" Roberts made in which he said he really meant they didn't have enough money to complete S42 and could not use money from S42 to find the remainder of SC.

FerrisXB9R and DangerMaus like this.
  18. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Are you trolling? It seems like you're trolling.

Serious question time: Did they slow down/stop production on star citizen to finish Squadron 42?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  19. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Can you quote it or not. Seems like you're the one trolling.

FerrisXB9R and Smegenstein like this.
  20. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Reading just this page of this thread makes me so glad I never wasted my money on this game when the kickstarter came out like 8 years ago. When it's released I'll buy it - if it doesn't get shot down by the reviews

tunksy and DangerMaus like this.