Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

So after all that dodging, you finally end up agreeing with exactly what I sad when I first raised this point. You kept objecting and making vague allusions to some caveats you claimed I never mentioned. Now you not only acknowledge I was right, and that I did mention those caveats, you end up saying exactly what I said.

1. They have enough money to finish S42, by delaying SC first.
    2. They have chosen not to, because they wanted people to give them more money which they don't even need to complete the game.

That was my entire point all along. Incredibly, you see this as a virtue. The point I made is that there is no need for them to keep demanding money from people. They don't need it. This is literally a Kickstarter campaign which never stops asking for money, even when they keep saying they don't even need it. This is unethical. They should use the money they have to complete the game which is already years overdue, instead of telling people "Give us hundreds of dollars for jpgs which might be in-game assets one day".

Meanwhile, clueless fanbois keep telling us the reason why the game isn't finished yet is that they need more money.

2. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Pardon? Where in the hell have you ever mentioned delaying sc first?

Keeping the money coming in to WORK ON STAR CITIZEN AT THE SAME TIME.

3. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

8 years and some change this thread has been going. Just thought I would do my quarterly check-in to see if all the die hard defenders are still here.

See you in another 3 months when this still hasn't gone anywhere. Lol.

BlueRaven, Spyder6052, Bort and 4 others like this.
  4. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Every time I quoted Roberts directly saying they could finish S42 first and then use that money to complete SC. I have quoted this several times.

I have also linked to articles discussing this statement.

That is precisely what I am objecting to. They do not need to keep the money coming in right now. They can stop work on SC, finish S42, and use revenue from that to complete SC. That is the ethical decision. They need to stop telling people that they need more money. In contrast, you think they should keep asking people to give them money.

XanaTos likes this.
  5. sparz14

sparz14 Member

What's the problem? How is accepting money to create a product 'unethical'? People can do whatever they want with their money. Hell, I work in software development for a gambling company... I prefer my odds sitting with CIG than with a horse n jockey. If more 'donations' means they can keep 500+ employed, then I'm happy. Why on earth would they stop work on SC, lose all that knowledge and expertise, just to pick it up later? That would cost them so much more in wasted time and money. Context switching is expensive and inefficient. Devs can't just jump onto something and start coding right away, even if it is a similar codebase. You clearly have no idea about software development.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  6. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

The inevitable "you know nothing about software development" has been uttered again... Clearly missing the argument being made.

Fortigurn likes this.
  7. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Only just found this..

[​IMG]

8. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Foundry 42 is made up of 3 small offices in the UK and Germany working on Squadron 42.

Have you tried coordinating multiple teams in multiple locations to work on a single product? It's especially difficult in software development. Why add more hassles? Yes it's easy to say 'make xxx people work on SQ42'... but the actual logistics is a little more difficult. The way they are doing it is using the same assets between two universes

9. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

I too work in software development, sounds like you need some better project managers ;)

FoxMaN likes this.
  10. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Loads of roadmap items have suddenly been removed and delayed (again) to who knows when... Black-lines galore!
    6 months of 3.9 and 4.0 are looking pretty empty now. CIG proving that they still can't project manage jack..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    macktheknife likes this.
  11. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

12. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

They've been next-gen for 3 gens now.

13. sparz14

sparz14 Member

And they still are.... show us any game that comes close

14. Bort

Bort Member

Back in the day I said I'd hold off my PC upgrade until Star Citizen comes out. Then I got sick of waiting and bought a GTX 970. It's now time to replace that.

Fortigurn and macktheknife like this.
  15. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

CIG has got to save something for their DLC or expansions or reason for next round of crowdfunding...
    Impressive tech in that Digital Foundry Video... just wondering when this game will hit beta....

16. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

SC has some potentially impressive tech, especially the fact that it's all rolled into one project. The issue is they've been riding it for years and still don't really have much to show for it including the continuing lack of core tech that will make or break the game.

Infinity: Battlescape is impressing me more than SC considering the dev team and budget. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce they've restarted work on Infinity before SC is even in beta.

17. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

3.8.2 within the week.
    There goes $700 USD, i will need me a Carrack.

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

What do you mean by restarted? This is the first time I'm hearing about the game.

It looks like a decent game, no where near on the same scale as Star Citizen in features, tech or players, but the scope is a lot more practical in the short term and doesn't seem to be relying on a million lego blocks falling into place just to function.

It says potentially more then a thousand per server, I wonder if thats the total limit or they have split the universe up so its a thousand per city/planet etc.

Did you really spend $700 USD on the Carrack? Why? :Paranoid:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Nethiuz likes this.
  19. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Not entirely, melting down the Corsair and Banu Merchantman because they don't exist yet and i can always buyback!
    Will keep the Mole as it's in game and earns me some dosh!

20. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

It has a history longer than SC. Started out as a pet project for planetary scale stuff with seamless transition to orbit. They mainly focused on the engine and didn't really have a strong focus on what to do with it at the time.

That got shelved and the tech was used to pitch a simplified PVP MMO that kickstarted in 2015 IIRC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_(upcoming_video_game)

FYI the player count for a server is much much higher than SC. The solar system isn't split into instances or player capped areas afaik.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Fortigurn and bart5986 like this.