1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

Survival games are so 5 years ago. Good to see the game keeping up with the times.

Sankari and Nethiuz like this.
  2. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

Makes it sound even better.

Why you need to try and help people who can't help them self sometimes.

Sankari and Fortigurn like this.
  3. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Which they have been doing very badly.

You mean the company with a game which has is now 10 times over its original budget, seven years late, still not even in beta, and is still selling only jpgs of assets which still aren't in game? The fact that you think the amount of money RSI has received is an indication of its business success, demonstrates how little you understand about business, not to mention game development. RSI has received a pitiful amount of money. It only looks impressive because it's a big number which has been collected through nearly a decade of begging, without even releasing a game. In reality it's an embarrassingly small sum for eight years of work.

Of all the cultish things you've written, this is the most cultish. It is such a blatant falsehood that it's almost incomprehensible that you actually wrote it. The game has been in development hell for eight years, has failed deadline after deadline (including a string of failed patch deadlines), has switched from one fork of an engine to another, has features which were originally never intended or never requested, has failed to implement or simply removed features, has gone back on the promise to avoid pay to win, has implemented some features in a simplified or cut down manner, and still hasn't even reached beta. And you claim all this is "exactly as intended"? RSI actually planned for all of this to happen? Nonsense. They planned to finish the game with all stretch goals long before now. That plan failed miserably.

As I have said several times before, if RSI's current business model and implementation was so stupendously successful, other game studios would already be doing it. They aren't. No other game studio is doing what RSI is doing. Why not? Why aren't other studios deciding to deliberately go 10 times over budget, and six years late, while begging for money from the public just to keep the company running, only to end up with less than US$300 million in eight years? Because it's a colossal waste of time and resources, and just about the worst way to make money imaginable, while making yourselves look incompetent.

Other game studios are out there making several hundred million dollars in a single year with a single game, released on schedule. Some of them are making half a billion, some of them are making over a billion. RSI isn't, because it's being run incompetently. Being stuck in development hell while literally begging for money every year, is not good business practice.

And which still don't exit. It's a fantastic metaphor for the game itself. The fact that you think this is a great business model, and enormously successful, is extremely telling.

This comment was made by a backer on the Kickstarter campaign, seven years ago.

It's as true now as it was then, only now instead of "almost 6 months on", it's another seven years on, and still without any sign the game is about to enter beta, let alone be released.

miicah, darkbastard, Sankari and 4 others like this.
  4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

It is nonsense, the nonsense of your entire post... You clearly don't understand context.

I'm simply saying the direction of the game, scale, cities, ships, whatever, its going as planned for them. They aren't releasing new ships or cities and finding that the community doesn't like the direction the game is going in. That might change with food/water.

Who says its going as planned? The amount of money being pledged as we speak for Star Citizen.

RSI had a successful kickstarter because they pledged to do something that most gamers would only dream of, and from a technical standpoint, not very realistic then, and not realistic now.

No other game studio will do this because its not financially profitable to spend insane amounts of money and time on a dream engine and game that might not be a very fun game in the end.

The reason why the kickstarter was successful is because game companies would rather play on the safe side and just make games that the company can afford, and will likely give them profits.

I bet you that once an engine exists that supports a space MMO world with all the trimmings and can be used by other companies, we will see so many games start getting created with similar ideas.

Although at this point its not even clear if RSI will complete their engine to be classified as the space MMO they have planned. I think they said server meshing is planned for late 2021 or something.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  5. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

Fortigun clearly points out stuff, yet again.

Barts response is equal to blah blah blah blah. Keep up the good work Bart.

Fortigurn likes this.
  6. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Ok, let me know which of my statements is false. Go on, list all the statements I made which are false.

What you actually said was "Everything they have done so far has worked exactly as they intended". Are you going to stand by that or not? As for your new statement, evidence please. The plan has changed a dozen times or more.

They have had lots of feedback about people in the community not liking the direction the game is going in.

The guy who said "Everything they have done so far has worked exactly as they intended".

This is not a complete sentence. Did you intend to finish it some day?

Your metric of "successful Kickstarter" clearly means simply "meeting the target funding goal". That is not a good metric of a successful Kickstarter. A successful Kickstarter delivers what backers pledged for. Eight years on, RSI has still not delivered what backers pledged for. It is not a success.

It is financially profitable if you actually do it. Other companies have done it. RSI have not. Even tiny little companies like Frictional built their own game engine, for their own unique games, which totally bucked the trend. They literally put the entire financial life of the company on the line, and they were tremendously successful. They have literally been more successful than RSI.

You know what "No other game studio will do"? Spend eight years with a game in beta, while begging people who paid the game to give them more money.

What nonsense. The reason why the Kickstarter met its goal (not "was successful", because it hasn't been yet), is that people believed the hype. They paid for a game they wanted. They still haven't received it.

I notice you didn't address a single fact I wrote, instead trying to change the subject to RSI's supposedly "successful" Kickstarter campaign (which has never delivered after eight years).

Sure, that would be great. Maybe RSI could use that engine, they certainly need the help.

But this all part of the great plan they had all along, right? Everything they have done so far has worked exactly as the intended, right?

Last year server meshing was supposed to come out in patch 3.4. It was then pulled from patch 3.4 and hasn't appeared since. I think we all know what their deadlines are like.

Sankari likes this.
  7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm not even going to bother replying to anything you've just said because you can't understand the simple concept that gaining additional profit = RSI are happy and will keep doing what they are doing.

I make no claims as to the quality, enjoyment or completion of the game.

8. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

It is nonsense, the nonsense of your entire post... You clearly don't understand context.

Sankari, c4dderly and Fortigurn like this.
  9. Penfold

Penfold Member

I cannot help but think the financial ramifications of the coronavirus will leave alot less people willing to fork out for ships.

Sankari likes this.
  10. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Of course I can understand that concept. The problem is, it doesn't address anything I wrote. This entire project is a bungling mess which is a textbook case in business mismanagement and anti-consumer practices.

Sankari likes this.
  11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I agree with you and I'm not trying to address those problems.

12. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

The coronavirus makes me wanna play Resident Evil

13. Sankari

Sankari Member

Just checking in to see if this larp is still in development hell.

And... it is.

14. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I refuse to play anymore, hunger strike from the new survival eat/drink mechanics.
    Still got $500USD of crap i can't sell bound to account, got rid of the BMM, Gifted.

Sankari and Fortigurn like this.
  15. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Think how much more alcohol you can buy now!

bart5986 and Nethiuz like this.
  16. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Someone in the gaming thread, specifically Star Citizen is commenting on my alcohol drinking when i never bought it up. Time to stop drinking i think? Well funnily enough it's been 2 days without and i decided i might sober up in lockdown.
    House Mate rocks up an hour ago with a carton and i just cracked the 1st beer. Hilarious i can't win. Although i intend to only have 6 (yes that's a light day for me) then maybe get to next week without any at all.

Back on topic. 3.9 is delayed because they had to shift to working at home, but only marginally i believe.

17. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Yeah as much as I have loved the game so far, I been real tempted to gift my basic upgraded package to a new account for myself so at least play SQ42 still, and blackmarket the rest. Have a very valuable account, however most of it account bound

Nethiuz likes this.
  18. Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

I was in the same boat last year. $800 deep lol. Ended up selling my entire account on the grey market. Someone mentioned that u dont need to sell the account as you can sell credits directly somehow

Nethiuz likes this.
  19. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Nethiuz likes this.
  20. miicah

miicah Member