1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. bart5986

bart5986 Member

i'm betting that ACCC wouldn't agree with you, but there are plenty of people who could try.

The kickstarter was a small portion of the overall funding and as soon as the kickstarter finished it went straight to the website for pledging.

Why exactly does pledging an hour after the kickstarter ends entitle you to have no opinion? or a lesser opinion?

Most kickstarters do not provide exactly what they originally claimed, and by the date they claimed, and these companies often don't take more money after the kickstarter.

So a company that is getting most of their money and fans after the kickstarter, they should follow the majority.

2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

It was moved off kickstarter because kickstarter have rigid rules about promises and delivery. If I pledge money to have say the Sydney Harbor Bridge painted yellow, then they decide to paint Brisbane Story bridge blue because more people who pledge money think thats a better idea, does that make me wanting my money back or Sydney Harbor bridge painted yellow wrong, after all that is why I pledged the money? I didn't gift the money, I pledged $120 which entitled me to specific things, and the original pledge also promised a date for open beta on persistent state servers, does this mean the original pitch was a lie, and no intention to deliver was part of the plan? If so this would explain why it was moved off kickstarter after raising over a $1 million.

Personally I don't give a shit about the game anymore even more now the physics have been dumbed down, if they offered a refund now to the kickstarter pledges I would hazzard a guess more then 50% would gladly take their money back, I would.

PS - Even Half-Life 2 Episode 3 has more chance of delivery before Star Citizen.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

What?

No it wasn't.

Kickstarter's are only for a limited time and their platform is also only suited for a limited amount of time as well.

The Kickstarter was always going to end at the time specified.

See I think this is where you are confused.

In your example you are investing, or paying for something.

That is not kickstarter.

Kickstarter is more of a donation in support of the company in the hopes that they complete it and can give you what they promised.

There is nothing stopping them from spending all the money and then saying, damn we failed, and this is exactly what happens all the time on kickstarter.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  4. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen
    Still waiting for the physical components to be shipped anywhere worldwide, can't wait for Nov 2014!

As usual you have NFI, the company pledged physical assets as well as digital to be delivered by a specific date, no where does it say we are going to piss ya money up against the wall on crack and hookers!

Additionally you needed to pledge $37USD or more to get access to ALPHA and BETA releases, this has not happened as anybody can download the ALPHA *cough* *cough* releases, which negates the point of being a paid supporter.

3 pretty videos giving the illusions that code had been written and designs had been finalized, and now we are told the big "REAL PHYSICS" is being dumped.

No my friend it is you that doesn't realize that once the money came in corruption and deceit are the only attributes being displayed, Chris Roberts has tarnished his reputation and legacy even if Star Citizen gets released, many original backers and C64 Elite players are over it and over his continual stream of bullshit.

DangerMaus likes this.
  5. bart5986

bart5986 Member

So this is your response to being called out for making up stories about "being moved off kickstarter due to rules" and your flawed understanding of what kickstarter even is, as you think its investing.

Anyone who pays for alpha access will get it, its a very simple concept and its a very common way to do things.

Not sure why you think literally anyone can play it, maybe during a free fly weekend which was not a thing back then.

Its always funny to see people unable to write a real response and think they can change the subject.

6. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Do you think this is what they've actually done? If they have, have they mentioned it anywhere?

So, no.

7. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Pledging is still more like investing in or backing the project, that's why they call them backers not donators. The dividend return from investment is to play the game for yourself or others.
    Projects cannot refund investment after it's spent. If the project falls over, all investors lose their investment with little or no return, this is the risk of investing.

See the latest from the Chronicles of Elyria after 5 years and $8M USD in pledges (they originally asked for $900k), they are walking away.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

So far, they have definitely been listening to player feedback, this does not mean they will continue to do so, but its likely they will.

Pledging is like investing except you have no power and the company does not owe you anything. Which is really, the exact opposite of investing.

If a project falls over, the investors will very often get something back, the investors can also ensure that the right actions are taken to salvage the project.

A company has an obligation to their investors in many ways according to the law. This is not the case with kickstarter "donations".

Literally the only reason some kickstarter scams have been caught is because of their stupidity, not because its difficult to essentially take everyone's money and make nothing.

And yes I know I'm about to be quoted that Star Citizen is that, but really its more that Chris Roberts is wasting a lot of the money on trying to build a game that he really wasn't qualified to manage.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  9. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Technically they are beholden to the Investors, but the Investors with the largest shares will always have the biggest vote on decisions.

bart5986 likes this.
  10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

So you pledge past basic get the game funding? Others are commenting on playing the content and are yet to pledge a cent!

That's the point you seem unable to comprehend.

No mention of physical assets being delivered, in any of the continued pledge programs, remember early pledge was meant to be a unique experience for early adopters, anyone pledging 8 years later should not be considered early adopters!

Your a fan of the game, no problem got no problem with that, but the limited early adoption funding model is designed for smug factor on release day, now everyone who invests 8 years later is the same as those on the day 1, this is why people pledges more then $20 and most pledged $37 for early ALPHA access which was meant to limited. November 2014 has come and gone and none of the deliverables have been meet, and the promises have been diluted to the point that today you can buy the same experiences as those "early adopters" so the marketing promises are lost. That is the issue not your opinion based on the fact you have ALPHA access and didn't pledge the appropriate amount, therefor agreeing would mean you shouldn't have access, like you would agree to that!

But this is a circular argument, your opinions only server your desires, my opinions are based on the ethics of promises made and not upheld once the money grab started and once held desire to have early access to the game before others, 2 contrary points of view that will never dissect.

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You are right I"m having trouble even understanding what you are saying, I literally can't comprehend your sentence.

That is not normal practice, a lot of kickstarters will offer the same benefits later via some other method, but rarely for as good as a price as the kickstarter was.

I'm a fan of the technology behind the game.

If someone was buying these for the smug factor then they are an idiot.

Proof? You will pay an insane amount more, and thats always how it was designed from the start.

With Squadron 42 at $49.50 USD and the Star Citizen MMO at $49.50, for a total of $99 USD or $152 AUD.

You would pay less on kickstarter and you'll get a fancy ship to go along with it.

Squadron 42 + the MMO was $37 USD during the kickstarter.

12. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

To what extent are they listening to player feedback, and to what extent are they taking actions in order to satisfy the majority of players? I doubt you have reliable information on this, so you should stop implying this is what they are doing.

13. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm talking about feature feedback based on their forums/reddit etc. It might surprise you that they do still treat it as an alpha and make changes based on the feedback about what they implement.

Chris Roberts does not really seem interested in player feedback as to their approach to creating the game, which is to be expected from Chris Roberts.

It might surprise you that generally the forums and reddit are not filled with people hating on the game.

14. miicah

miicah Member

No, didn't you read the FAQ? He's working on it himself while he waits for a private investor to appear out of nowhere and give him money!

It's a foolproof plan.

15. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

They treat it like an alpha because it is an alpha. If only they'd worked out a complete list of features and goals before or during the Kickstarter.

16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

That would require Chris Roberts not making it up as he goes. :lol:

17. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Or sticking to what he made up originally.

18. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

That doesn't answer my question, unsurprisingly.

Of course it doesn't surprise me; all the changes (for a wide variety of reasons), are constantly being discussed here.

Yes. In other words, completely the opposite of how it was sold.

No that does not surprise me.

19. intransigent

intransigent Member

Can we just start calling this thing 'star citizen forever' yet :p

20. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

Scam Citizen rolls off the tongue better for me.