1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

FTR weighs in on 3.9

Also... :(

upload_2020-4-30_13-7-48.png

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    macktheknife likes this.
  2. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

ahaah, so 280+million is not enough, they now need MTX in a pre alpha build.

I'm 100% sure they need this to make it a better player experience and I'm also 100% sure the player base wanted to have MTX, just ask Chris, because that's why he's doing it.

3. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Those parts underlined in green are just so revealing. Star Citizen's transformation into yet another example of the worst of gaming industry practices, cannot be denied.

4. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

Pretty sure the kickstarter said no MTX. It's just a massive joke.
    I still don't understand how people are still getting roped into it. It's got to be BS that funding keeps going up.

Fortigurn likes this.
  5. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

a fool and his money are easily parted

after all, that's why marketing is an industry worth trillions

I absolutely adore what this game promises, and it saddens me to my core that developers have yet to accomplish what this game has the potential to be

i've kept an eye on this thread... so far for 341 pages... it seems like so far i've only ever weighed in to say 'gee I'm glad I didn't buy this game.' Looks like I might as well unsubscribe because clearly the devs have no intention of ever releasing or delivering on promises

whatdoesthisdo and qwertylesh like this.
  6. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I think the Kickstarter or one of the early FAQs said there would be some MX but no subscription fee, and that the MX would not be for anything but content you could acquire through natural game play.

7. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

That video is an absolutely devastating expose. The section with all the clips of broken promises and missed deadlines and gutted patches is a crippling blow to the project's credibility.

8. Sledge

Sledge Member

How so?

Gotta HAVE some credibility to be able to effect it....

DangerMaus and Fortigurn like this.
  9. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Imagine being the person who has to come in and figure out how to milk the whales even more.

whatdoesthisdo, FoxMaN and Fortigurn like this.
  10. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Holy crap New Babbage is a laggy shithole.
    i get 40FPS in 4k at best. Used to get 60 all the time in Star Citizen everywhere! Played for 10 mins, had the game DC from servers and left. Back in another 6 months maybe.

Edit: Had another go with 2 mates tonight, Quantum not working half the time, atmo hud getting stuck on screen in space and moves with head, dying 9/10 times exiting or entering ship out of atmosphere especially trying to board to 890 mission, which then no doors worked except 1/10 times, stuck in warp sometimes, unable to get out of seats/stuck, falling through ship and dying, map is horrendous, NPCs standing on seats on top of sitting NPCs, guns broken, looting broken, mobiglass freezing or showing nothing, can not refuel/repair/rearm ship on pad, need to hover above, missiles not locking 9/10 times. About 1000 other bugs.
    Looks pretty, plays worse than a dead cat!

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Fortigurn likes this.
  11. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

But it looks pretty!

qwertylesh and Nethiuz like this.
  12. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Duke came out, granted it was terrible and a different game to what was advertised and shown during development. It also required other dev's to cobble the mess together and release it. Wait.. I see what you did there ;).

Regarding that video linked earlier. The argument that S42 is slowing SC would require development of S42 to be a focus right? If it's a focus for the majority of the devs at multiple studios why has there been SFA to show for it when it's all done already?

Blaming S42 for taking focus is still missing the point that management is inept regardless of what they're working on. Surely the team working on server meshing and networking wasn't assigned to S42? So they must have it all worked out by now right?

Ground my gears when he kept saying calliope wrong.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    bart5986 and Fortigurn like this.
  13. bart5986

bart5986 Member

They already said they are prioritising server meshing, I would say its likely the focus is the MMO.

I really don't think SQ42 needs a large development team, they should be mostly using the MMO engine and assets and just putting in the appropriate scripted NPC's, adding the already recorded celebrity voice acting and putting together the campaign.

Who would really know though, we haven't seen actual gameplay for over two years and they are no longer updating the SQ42 roadmap as "we’ve found that the format in which we’ve attempted to visualize our progress linearly does not match the approach we’re taking in the development of Squadron 42."

I still think we'll see the SQ42 alpha this year.

14. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Patch today, still buggy but me and 3 mates have been playing for about 5 hours no DC/crashes, i bought a cutlass red because it has a spawn bed and i am sick of dying and ending up with 12 ships in the one place to return. did several 890 jump missions now i know it well, accidentally shot some crew and am serving 2 hours in prison.

15. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

Well if you watched the video, Chris now says they need to finish SQ42 before they can do anything else, thats why they shifted more people into it.

TBH I can't see them be able to make server meshing the way they want it.

16. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

There's the whole story of Star Citizen in just three simple words.

17. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

It's been a priority for quite a while now with seemingly nothing to show for it. Not even a test event.

Fortigurn likes this.
  18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I think the original ETA for the feature was late 2020 to early 2021, I would say we won't see any test events for a long time, even if its a priority.

19. Coma White

Coma White Member

Maybe things are getting lost in translation.

20. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Star citizen roadmap roundup today.
    Just read it, nothing added, just removed most things from next 2 builds. Nice.. Must be busy doing fuck all over there!
    I now blow out expected release date to after the human civilisation ends. Possible 4 billion years during the sun death.

Having said that i've sunk 30 or so hours into 3.9 this week, it's a buggy shithole but i bought a retaliator because i wanted to try dropping nukes into high $$ bounties and it's been reasonably fun when the buggy as shit missile locking actually works! Also grabbed a caterpillar and made 100k AUEC in 2 hours, easy.
    Secret is use USA servers, i can pop 10 hours straight no 30k crash, AU servers go out every half hour! Shhhhh....

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    GumbyNoTalent likes this.