1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

Its all good, Bart will be around shortly to explain it doesnt matter if the game is ready in 4 years or 40 years there will still be nothing like it out there.

2. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

At the heat death of the universe the All Knowing Godhead Chris Roberts' immortal consciousness uploaded to the Galactic Cloud will still be shilling ship jpeg's for the imminent launch of the Persistent Universe, which will at that point, have feature creeped into Cloud Imperium inventing the technology to bring forth a completely new physical universe that will just happen to evolve in a fashion that will allow the energon cubes based human form to control via a gestalt psychic hive mind.

3. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Surely you can make more than that...given the risk.

Mining is more profitable now with quantainium. I've only done a couple of loads (like 2 or 3) in a prospector in 3.9 and made over 130k in a 30 minute run.

4. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Yeah i am risking more now, 400k of Titanium nets me 100k a run profit. About 20 mins work.

Edit: Now making 200k each run medical supplies from Microtech to Area 18.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  5. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Exactly!

I'm in no rush, but then I paid $30... :leet:

6. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Whens SC moving to UE5?

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Spyder6052 and Fortigurn like this.
  7. Coma White

Coma White Member

That will be Alpha patch 876.53686

8. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Unreal Engine is shit in large open world games and MMO's (To date) this is proven by things like ARK and countless other attempts, you can also look up the reasons why. Cryengine or "Lumberyard" is doing fine and looks better than pretty much anything i've ever played so can't complain.
    Ah shit did i just defend SC?

9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Yes :lol::lol::lol:

RSI took an existing engine and made it amazing for a large scale open world MMO.

Its completely possible they could have done it with UE4 but honestly I think CryEngine is the better engine, although harder for devs it seems.

Nethiuz likes this.
  10. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

I wouldn't agree with this statement, they've changed the engine sure, but it isn't delivered and proven to work in large scale.

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You are completely right. I'll rephrase

RSI took an existing engine and made it an amazing open world game universe, that will hopefully turn into MMO scale if they ever implement server meshing etc

The game is largely pointless with 50 players right now :lol:

Nethiuz likes this.
  12. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I need meshing, i am really annoyed at the server cap of 50 because we have a group of 5 that play and it's always server full my friends are on. MASH REFRESH!

Also Fleet Week or whatever other name it's called starts May 22nd and the convention centre will open housing military ships like the anniversary sale, different each day with new sales and in game free try of all the ships.
    Also a patch is out in the PTU fixing the worst bugs, double trains, invis char, mobiglass issues and some ship unable to retrieve and duplicating!

13. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Meshing is the special ingredient to make it a game in my opinion.

I honestly find Star Citizen boring after 30mins, just like ED once I stopped grinding for pointless ships like an idiot.

The real fun is the other players, a lot of the content is created from that. ED once had that a long long time ago.

Nethiuz likes this.
  14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

But pages and pages ago you wanted a single persistent world for everyone because that was what RSI was sprucing, now you want meshed instance servers like *tongue in cheek" Eve Online a 17 year old tech? Meshing doesn't solve the large population "instances" just ask Eve Online about having 4000 users in one "instance" https://www.pcgamer.com/the-biggest...ory-is-happening-right-now-and-you-can-watch/, World of Warcraft have the same issue but have multiple World servers with limited populations and spawn instance servers allowing users from all the separate world servers to play in the same "instance / room/ dungeon" but once they leave they are back to their unique world server.

Horizontal scaling works with static content, however for it to be truly persistent and constant for everyone all servers would require information of actions happening on the other servers instantaneously or close to and network technology just isn't capable, and has always been the issue with Star Citzen scope, and fundamentally wrong with Roberts inability to accept that! If their was an answer it would have been implemented now by those more knowledgeable on the subject, the implications of a solution have other realworldy benefits that would far exceed Star Citizens revenue generation for RSI. So we roundabout the discussion after 8 years back to a technology solution that was always available from the beginning!

Yet here we are again inventing already existing tech into an engine that isn't capable, when others already exist!

whatdoesthisdo and Fortigurn like this.
  15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

We have different ideas of what we are thinking RSI are implementing.

My understanding is the type of server meshing they are implementing allows multiple servers to power one single universe, not multiple "instances"

My understanding is that you will seamlessly travel between servers, creating one giant universe of multiple servers.

16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Eve-online *drop mic*

PS - only talking server tech not game-play as that is 17 years old and showing it these days.

whatdoesthisdo and Fortigurn like this.
  17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that in Eve Online you can't seamlessly travel between areas, you enter and exit different areas. But I have barely played Eve Online so I could be wrong.

Edit: I looked up some Youtube videos and it really seems to be the Elite Dangerous model, it appears to be a bunch of different maps that you "warp" between which is really the loading screen.

The only other game besides Star Citizen that has a seamless universe is duel universe.

This is why Eve Online suffers so badly when there is a big battle in one map, they can't split the map in half and run two servers. Server meshing on Star Citizen allows multiple servers in an area (at least technically)

I'm not sure what you are implying when you say this.

18. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

You really have NFI what you're talking about when you "try" and talk about mmo server's.

Please keep talking about server "meshing" and how its going to change everything. RSI done NOTHING about server meshing, only just talk about it. No one seen anything on this server meshing and it's all talk.

With MMO's been out for a longtime and some very hard hard hitting companies still have trouble having keeping alot of players in 1 instance, but RSI with this server meshing going to fix decades of problems in 1 hit. You really can't be serious.

Fortigurn likes this.
  19. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I have never made any claims that RSI will succeed with this feature, check my post history, I have said countless times that Star Citizen relies on this, and that is what will make it awesome.

If they fail, then there is no game. They would have to make huge changes by splitting up the universe into maps and then the game loses a huge amount of what made it special, especially as a lot of the problems and work involved making a huge universe possible.

Of course its all talk, its Chris Roberts saying they are working on it, then Chris Roberts saying its due late next year, then Chris Roberts now saying its a high priority and they want to get it done sooner.

That does not mean they will successfully complete it as planned and I have not made any claims of that.

20. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

well every other post from you is about server mesh and going to change everything, it's like you know what it is.

RSI is going to drop a working server mesh when the second coming of Christ is happening. Been told both is happening at the same time and soon.