1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Sledge

Sledge Member

Ouch

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Thats different though.

Its an optional mode, and its designed essentially for you to speed run as everyone already knows the routes/quests/loot etc.

3. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Posted in pics of games you are playing but since this is the game thread and i'd like to get off the complaining here is my Carrack in the Arc Corp sunset. [Keep in mind i run medium/low settings because 4k]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bart5986 likes this.
  4. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

This would be hilarious, imagine all the people spouting "We're just helping fund the game" responding to CIG saying "Thanks for the help, now we're taking your ships away so everyone starts on an even playing field" :lol:

Wow, you sound like a top person. Definitely not the stock standard toxic SC fanboy.

Fortigurn likes this.
  5. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I listed other options, you are just taking one piece of it.
    I see nothing wrong with what i said and also as for Toxic i have multiple times offered forum goers and people in game in Global chat help, to team up and do things together and to hang out.

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

7. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Except the external shape of a ship is only a tiny percent of work required to actually create a ship.... I'll await the internal extrudanator and wind tunnel statistic generator on github :)

8. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

CIG made $15,000,000 USD in May.
    The most of any month in history, looks like they aren't going anywhere just jet... Pretty keen on 3.10 end of month!

macktheknife likes this.
  9. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

who the fuck is still giving them money jesus christ

Fortigurn likes this.
  10. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Better not look up what i paid for a Carrack, Cutlass, Retaliator, Banu MM and Reclaimer then. Lets just say if you spend $1k USD you get Concierge and i might be there.

11. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Lots of people still buying in it seems, though May was mostly thanks to an Idris and Javelin mega whale sale. If they hadn't had such high sales all year I might have interpreted this extra sale as a desperation move, but at the end of May they had almost as much sales in the year as they'd raised to the end of November last year.

https://i.redd.it/m2rqm5fwq7251.png

Cutlass Blue probably wasn't a big seller but the Star Runner will be. Then there will be another big sale at the end of the year so I won't be surprised if they crack 60M. Maybe 70M if USA doesn't burn to the ground.

SC development has slowed, presumably because of increased SQ42 focus. Theaters of War is AWOL and Chris Roberts has all but disappeared from the spotlight. Things which you might think would make people more cautious, yet they're significantly more successful. I'm happy to see the project continue, but I really don't understand the big uptick in sales that's been going since December. Maybe getting CR out of the spotlight is what did it.

12. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Still no VR.... :thumbdn:

13. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

Still don't get why you're so happy about it? You've just spend 1K+ on a video game that's not even out. Why wouldn't you wait for it to release before you buy? it's not like they not going to stop selling ships.

14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

They will never implement VR if they can't get 90fps at a high end VR resolution.

According to their own telemetry the best you can do at 4k, which is below what decent VR resolution is these days is this:

FPS
    Average
    CPU
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600K CPU @ 3.80GHz
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
    GPU
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Reducing graphics would help, but I don't see 90fps stable being possible unless they put a lot of effort into a special VR setting which might look bad anyway.

I can just barely run Elite Dangerous in VR on my 1080 with the special VR presets.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  15. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Cant be assed finding the exact quote, but you have said many time "StarCitizen will be better than Elite Dangerous because its a completely different game with completely different tech why are you guys comparing the two". So Star Citizen is not better? Why compare when Star Citizen is completely different and not comparable?

In any ALPHA testing code isn't optimized, think Crytek (other releases) most of them where unplayable on current tech but awesome on next gen tech. OK I need a shower I feel dirty after defending Star Citizen.

16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

But that is my exact point.

If I struggle with Elite Dangerous, there is no way Star Citizen is going to be playable in VR anytime soon with current GPU's.

Thats correct but CryEngine and MMO's in general are not well known for their 90fps+ frame rates, especially when there is a lot going on.

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Now its time for you to tell us how Roberts will solve that issue of plotting 1000s of objects in a MMO with 100s of connections and how it isn't a latency bandwidth issue.

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The issue will be solved eventually when computers catch up.

I'm estimating early 2022 for release so who knows where hardware will be at that point.

19. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Yeah you keep saying this without understanding the underlying limitation is not the computer. I have tried before to explain it and linked you discussion by more knowledgeable people on the subject, yet you persist with these statements.

20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

We have never discussed this. I assume you are talking about server FPS, which is something also solved when computers get better CPU's, as well as RSI continuing to improve it.

Either way both are important.

Star Citizen's own telemetry show that VR resolutions are not possible right now, as its dropping well below server FPS.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020