1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

The amount of information you can send from server to computer in a time frame to keep the game usable, the amount of data required to keep the game in sync in realtime, we have discussed it and you gave a single line throw away saying predictive positioning will work just fine, which it doesn't! This is limited by the way TCP/IP works and delivers information, again another topic you refuse to acknowledge. These limitations are why currently MMO and game servers restrict the size of the population, the programmatic issues are trivial as demonstrated with your 40K simulated users demo which doesn't require network traffic. But like I said if you could send that amount of information to a server cluster on current TCP/IP infrastructure you would make more money selling the technology then implementing it into a game server engine.

But again, I talk from experience writing code and working with distributed data gathering, NFI what you know.

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I thought we were talking about Virtual reality? :confused:

Where did I say anything about predictive positioning? I think you are mixed up with someone else because predictive positioning doesn't work in an MMO. League of Legends once had it just for your character, absolutely horrible way to play.

Why don't you stop changing the subject to make up imaginary arguments just so you can be correct?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I'm not, playing a FPS in VR requires more points of reference thus the use of predictive positioning, which then leads to sending and receiving information to and from the server, which then leads to the same old same old bottle neck... TCP/IP.

But you can keep believing Roberts will solve the problem that others have spent over a decade trying to solve, because he is well known for his outstanding netcode and not his story telling. :rolleyes:

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Thats a great bit of unrelated information. Maybe you should start a podcast.

Once again I have never made any claims about predictive positioning, maybe you shouldn't make up stories just so you can be correct about something.

In fact, has RSI/Chris Roberts ever said anything about predictive positioning?

But sure, lets keep the made up stories going.

Well honestly you clearly didn't finish high school if you think the earth is flat, watched too many youtube videos have you?

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Despite kickstartering at the same time as SC, I can play Elite Dangerous in VR @ 90 FPS with up 32 players in one instance for the last 6 years... but it uses P2P for the majority of multiplayer traffic.
    Rumour has it Elite be will announcing FPS, atmospheric planets and base building expansion soon.

Fortigurn likes this.
  6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The P2P is a serious flaw though, you can hack and send false packets etc quite easily with no server to validate what you are doing. I don't think they deserve an credit for what is essentially the easiest, cheapest way to run an multiplayer game.

Having said that, Elite Dangerous is amazing for the atmosphere, music and combat, which is amplified by virtual reality, I'm unsure if Star Citizen will ever get that good in those departments since they currently fail at all of them.

It will be interesting to see what ED does with FPS and their P2P networking, sounds like a recipe for disaster, we can just DoS any players we don't like. :lol:

Back when I played Dead by Daylight I would sometimes use netlimiter to deal with players who were exploiting when I played the killer. So many ways to mess with a P2P based game.

7. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

It's been stated several times you will NOT be able to buy ships after release with $. Only in game!
    Also i am having fun now, why the hell would i wait years?

8. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

The alpha is a buggy mess right now and frustrating AF - Especially when you lose a whole bunch of time or cash to a crash or bug. Still needs a lot more time in the oven.
    You would only put up with this if you were heavily invested and can't wait until it's at least the resemblance of a beta, that or they are bored AF with all other games - that are you know, a lot more finished.

9. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

He's said alot of things but you really think he's going to give up the chance to make 660USD on a ship any time soon? It's not like he's lied about anything else.

He's going to say "We been getting alot of feed back from the players and they really want to spend $660 on ship, so are going to let them".

Fortigurn likes this.
  10. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I lost 400k UEC of cargo on a run when i QT'd into a planet and exploded, that was sucky. But made another million later that day.

I was just quoting whats been said, i honestly agree with you. However i won't take that risk and secure my ships now. :)

11. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

It's called Fear Of Missing Out. Typical business tactic.

Nethiuz and bart5986 like this.
  12. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

:lol: Some interesting news today. Wonder how this will fare for SC

13. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

FOMO is good for business, you should see me at the pub 1 minute to lock out. I'd mow down anybody in my way to make the gate. :)
    Speaking of, that QLD premier can do die for introducing those laws, every foreign tourist i speak to says they are just avoiding Australia from now on and partying in other nations, backpackers are a huge industry and she ruined it. Australia is very far away for most, they just hit Asia now, closer cheaper and less rules.

Ah shit this is the SC thread, so turns out the subscriber ship of the month for June is the Carrack, ha now i have 2. What a world.

This looks fun! :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  14. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Fortigurn likes this.
  15. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

16. MightyOz

MightyOz Member

I’m amazed at how he could keep a straight face saying all that confabulation.

17. gav1ski

gav1ski Member

WTF really????? Wasting time and money making another generic FPS game instead of what they are meant to be doing and not even getting that right as they can't even get 40 people playing and not have massive lag. I know it's only an alpha but FPS games have been able to handle that many players for years so no excuse even in alpha to have bad net code.

I really don't get this direction as the way I look at it is you just spent millions on a star ship why would you want to run around shooting people or mining by hand (you fly a space ship you would think small scale mining would a least just be mining bots not 1800's gold rush style digging in caves for stuff).

More and more I am glad I did not back this, but I would still like to see a good space flight game come out of it as that would actually get me to buy it.

macktheknife likes this.
  18. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Well i am keen to try out some battlefield style action with the SC graphics and ships. Should be fun.
    The Persistent Universe is a long way off being finished can't change that, it may be not as far off if they just focused on it, but meh.

19. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Do a little research and you'll find this will make development quicker in the long run.

"Theaters of War grew out of a test mode CIG came up with for balancing FPS, vehicles and spaceships within Star Citizen’s persistent universe. As such, developers say, very little extra development was necessary"

Nethiuz likes this.
  20. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Strange how they are pushing another closed map arena game mode again, probably because the game engine is predisposed at doing this kind of thing better than a big open sandbox.
    I fear the days of trying to do all of this in some coordinated guild battle out in the open world - will be a long long way off..

Fortigurn and Nethiuz like this.