1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. gav1ski

gav1ski Member

Unfortunately I did do a bit of digging on this as my first question on seeing it was "what is it and what does it add". I don't see where is says if will be faster in the long run, they had to do extra development (very little is developer code for I want to play around with this and I can have a half arsed version in a couple of weeks). They now need to add troop AI and ground vehicle AI on top of ship AI and that sounds like a lot of extra work. As I said I don't understand the direction, some people seem to like it and it may be a good addition but without the actual space flight complete they are just causing delays and if the staff they are using can't get a 40 player FPS to run without lag they should be hiring more/better net code and server load sharing people and not monetisation people.

2. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I didn't understand the direction either, but if it isn't a buggy shithole i think it could be heaps of fun.

3. Penfold

Penfold Member

It's because that's what the crytek engine was designed for. So because they hired a heap of ex-crytek developers it was more productive and polished to come up with this mode. Obviously the space flight/networking that is the bottleneck at the moment.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  4. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

They're basically remaking Crysis Wars at this point. And that game didn't really go anywhere.

Sankari and Fortigurn like this.
  5. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Well tonight was nothing but a waste and anger.
    Log into SC, can't retrieve Carrack, go to website reset char, wait. Finally spawn Carrack, do massive jumps for cheap Titanium, fill the cargo about 400,000 aUEC it cost me. Fly to Area 18 to sell, as i land on pad ship randomly explodes.
    Cool, spend an hour for nothing and lose almost half a million in credits. Logged off said fuck you and came here. :)
    Goodnight.

Sankari and macktheknife like this.
  6. Penfold

Penfold Member

Goodnight!

7. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

i've managed to downsize my personal fleet and get rid of excess credits to the point that im happy with what I have. game access, couple decent ships. Solid starting point. Sticking with the Drake Cutlass Black since I love it, tricky sucker to fly. And then I have the credits and buybacks to mess around for a while but so far have settled on a Sabre

Actually have a spare package if anyone is thinking of getting themselves a solid start. Let me know

8. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Check launcher, won't update. Google issue, delete a certain appdata directory. All good, game updates.

Launch game. Crashes.
    Launch game, get to Area 18. Crashes before I can get out of the starting dormitory.
    Launch game, can only see Stanton now, go there, get off bed, walk outside into hallway, check 3rd person view to see if foip is working, crashes.

Yawn, remind me in a year to check again.

Sankari likes this.
  9. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

yeah my launcher did that othe day, was real annoying. turned out the launcher had an update, that eventually decided to install itself

10. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

If launcher is broken use Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R Fixes it.
    As for in game issues, yeah good luck with that, i've dropped it again! Be back in 12 months.

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Sure sure.... you'll be back within 3 months :leet:

12. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Back at work, meh gaming time is reduced and found other ones to play anyway! Speaking of i should get off the PC and go sort out this helicopter.
    Also on topic, it's Alien week, so go buy a BMM will ya ;)

13. Sankari

Sankari Member

Just checking in to see if this game is out of alpha yet.

/popcorn

qwertylesh, Zee and mesaoz like this.
  14. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Doesn't Alpha normally imply it's a mostly complete piece of software just requiring extensive testing?

That'd make Star Citizen Pre-Alpha, surely :Pirate:

Fortigurn, Zee and Sankari like this.
  15. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

No sir it is not. Alpha 3.10 will be released within the week. Thank you for your co-operation.

Sankari likes this.
  16. Sankari

Sankari Member

This is just amazing.

Nethiuz likes this.
  17. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Their claim that the new game mode wouldn't take much extra development clearly hasn't borne out. While they may have been able to script the mode and get it in the game easily, it's highlighted that many other areas need work to make it playable. I guess that was kind of the idea and it's a good thing more attention has been brought to performance and playability issues, but to not have this shit more sorted after so many years with a playable alpha is pretty weak.

No, that's the Beta phase.

18. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

How is the campaign coming along?

19. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

20. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

I would like to know how does one miscalculate 5 years so far.

Releasing a beta means dick coming from them, since SC been pre Alpha for how long now, how long they strung shit for now?