Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

If you had put your $35 in Bitcoin at the time of the Kickstarter, you would have bought somewhere around 2-3 btc. Which would now be worth somewhere between $36k and $54k USD. Not your best analogy!

2. lithos

lithos Member

Hey, if you've got some money to spend on SC ships, but haven't found anything from the current crop of Roberts' fleet, then I've got a deal for you.

I'm selling a lightly-used piece of infrastructure in glorious Sydney, NSW. Lightly used, cash/bitcoin only:
    [​IMG]

BlueRaven, Sankari and Coma White like this.
  3. Sankari

Sankari Member

This exchange summaries the entire SC situation so succinctly, it's just perfect.

:D

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Fortigurn and FuzwaldQO like this.
  4. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Cool it's a special mobile bridge ship, I can use this for the promised bridge building career. I can't wait. I'll pay $5000 for it right now.

Michael Paras, Sankari and Fortigurn like this.
  5. Sankari

Sankari Member

6. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Difference being Star Citizen isn't sayin they're finished. This vid relates more closely to Cyberpunk 2077

7. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Nah cyberpunk is more, some of the pieces are completely the wrong shape and size, they are all there, just not necessarily the right ones.

Sankari likes this.
  8. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

CP2077 has all the pieces, it even has duplicates and bits from other puzzles that you don't need. Some of the bits might not fit very well without a hammer and it needs a bigger table than originally specified but you can finish it.

Also don't recall CDPR saying "It's finished! We're done! No more patches..."

Fortigurn and Sankari like this.
  9. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

There's exciting news on Squadron 42. Remember how it was going to be released in 2014, then 2016, then the beta in Q1 2020, then the beta in Q2 2020?, then the beta in Q3 2020? Well now we have some firm news on its release.

That's right, it's "too early to discuss release or finish dates on Squadron 42". You heard, 2020 is too early to discuss a game feature which was supposed to be released in 2014.

RnR, BlueRaven, Sphinx and 4 others like this.
  10. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

He should outsource it to CDPR. They'll pump it out unfinished and then blame the users for having too high expectations.

Sankari and Fortigurn like this.
  11. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Pay now for exclusive access to the roadmap for the roadmap, which now has it's own DLC!

BlueRaven, miicah, Fortigurn and 2 others like this.
  12. Sankari

Sankari Member

[​IMG]

Zee likes this.
  13. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

At least it'd be finished, playable and I'd be able to sink hundreds of hours into it.

Seriously though. Witcher 3 was buggier at launch. GTA5 was worse. I couldn't progress in RDR2 for about three weeks because of a main story glitch. I uninstalled FC5 because of bugs. CP2077 is fine get the fuck over the backlash BS or save it for Starfield :p.

CDPR are right to blame buyers with rose tinted glasses who for some fucking reason don't remember all the bugs in their previous games. Aside from the last gen console BS which is probably down to M$ and Sorny demanding support than CDPR.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    BlueRaven and Fortigurn like this.
  14. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Teh Gamerz felt betrayed by a medium-large game studio/publisher that has partnerships with the Kool Konsole Kompanies because, shockingly, it turned out that said company cared more about meeting the expectations of those business partners than it did about the expectations of "the community". Multiple sets of rose-tinted glasses worn simultaneously.
    (C-word used in loosest possible terms. K-words not intentionally referencing a certain Halloween costume club, merely used for a bit of creative alliteration).
    Edit to add: this should not be construed to mean that I approve of the way CDPR has handled this, it's a fucking debacle and somebody should/will lose their job over it.

Perhaps somewhat significant that we're discussing CP2077 rather than SC (I like how everybody appends the "2077" so there's no unfortunate abbreviation confusion).
    But everybody deserves some time off over Christmas I guess.
    If SQ42 or the full-blown SC ever does see an actual Beta/final release, I have no doubt we'll be hearing allegations of ludicrous crunch shortly after (hi CDPR!).
    But it seems that's just par for the course these days. Everybody in the trenches hates it, but nobody can figure out how to change it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  15. Tazor

Tazor Member

My mate from the UK CIG studio told me that crunch isn't really a thing there because they have no release date in mind - they just keeping working on it until features are ready to deploy.

Maybe if they ever set a release date that will change.

16. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

No need to rush while you are paid a salary from continual pledging, despite no deadline...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Sankari and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  17. Tazor

Tazor Member

exactly

18. BlueRaven

Sorry for this man, I really am... *you're ;)

Of course there's no crunch now. Bank account acceptably healthy, plenty of players on the hook, money rolling in, no release date in sight. Business as usual.
    The crunch comes if... and it's a fucking colossal "if" at this point... Chrisso actually wants to release "a game", rather than simply perpetuate what's been a nice little bunsen burner for...
    wait, I've forgotten how long this has actually been dragging on for, one sec... just shy of a decade.

I'm actually starting to think that he's a much better "expectation manager" than I first gave him credit for because, fuck me, people are still paying a thousand Aussie bucks for digital bling that they have absolutely no guarantee of ever being able to show off (apparently such things are important to some people in the modern world, I dunno).
    I know that people have been calling it "the perfect scam" for years now, but I don't think anybody thought he'd ride the suckers this long.
    Everybody thought this thing would actually go to Beta at some point because people would just get the shits with waiting for the dev team to finish eating their elephant bite by bite and the statements of "it's still too early to discuss release dates for a product that was supposed to release a stupid number of years ago" just wouldn't fly anymore.

Apparently everybody was wrong, because they're still eating it up.
    TBH, if I was in Chrisso's position right now I'd say "fuck the game release, let's see how long we can string these Star Citizens along, it pays bloody well".
    I still don't know if it was pure luck, or a very clever assessment of the target audience.
    Probably a bit of both, and I'm jealous that I didn't think of it first (not that I'd have had the resources or "legendary" reputation to do anything about it even if I did).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Sankari, Zee and damo13579 like this.
  19. BlueRaven

Kool-aid level check: disappointing.

20. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Oops..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    macktheknife, BlueRaven and Sankari like this.