1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

"Turns out making games is tough if you try to do it on a boat while sipping cocktails" - Chris Roberts 2016

I'm still trying to work out what they're actually doing... are the offices empty? Are the employees real?

sTeeLzor, BlueRaven and Sankari like this.
  2. Nian

Nian Member

SC Salt Mine.jpg

So many salty people. You know you power the RSI machine with your tears.

Sankari likes this.
  3. Sankari

Sankari Member

Honestly, this is a better larp than QANON, and that shit was wild.

:wired: :Paranoid:

BlueRaven likes this.
  4. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

The best bit of that was the SC meme supercut with him literally shitheel-grinning into the camera on a fucking boat man. I think it was Italy? or South of France?

When all was said and done after the disgustingly treasonous and inept display by the "revolutionaries" on 6th Jan, many thousands of Qanon followers were instantly disenfranchised; lost and bereft of direction because their "storm" - the great day of Conservative Reckoning and executions of Democrat politicians in the streets - never came. They took to whatever social media outlets hadn't already banned them to express their outrage at having been duped and led astray by lies, and collectively wondered what to do next.

And the Star Citizens pondered what awesome new ship-promise would be their next purchase.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Fortigurn likes this.
  5. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Very cool how they can create rivers so easily. Keen to see them flowing and with waterfalls. It's these tools they work on which will speed up solar system creation going forward.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Tazor likes this.
  6. neRok

neRok Member

It's really a nothing-burger though. Epic have just open-sourced the same system from Fortnite into UE4 for example. https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/BuildingWorlds/Water/index.html I'd wager that every proprietary engine already had the same too.

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Because the Star Citizen server engine (despite being limited to only 50 players right now) is struggling with object management and crashing, CIG are moving large content areas to a new star-system (via loading screen) in the next patch to free up resources. They state that this matches up with original lore, but also admit that delays in figuring out how to server-mesh and improve object management has required this change..

[​IMG]

10 years in development..

Sankari likes this.
  8. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Delamar was always part of the Nyx solar system. It was never going to stay in the current solar system. They brought it in for testing purposes. Freeing up memory is not the reason it's being removed, it's an outcome

9. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Looks pretty average. Would have expected it could fill a sunken area till it overflows to make creation of ponds and lakes easy.

Sankari likes this.
  10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Where can I read information on that?

As I've always said, server meshing is their magic weapon in putting their entire mess of a game together into what could a great space MMO, without it I'm not that hopeful for it.

In my opinion if they are putting developer time into splitting up content areas into loading screens then they are probably 1.5-2 years away from completing it.

Maybe Duel Universe will be the only game to do it for a long time (At least in theory, I've yet to play it)

11. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Official post here:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...forum/1/thread/delamar-levski-are-going-home/

Also note that they are moving it to a star system that is not available yet, so they are effectively removing large sections of content temporarily.
    Regardless of it always being planned, they are removing it early because of server resourcing problems - the other system is not even ready yet.

The next step in development, patches that remove content instead of adding it.

Fortigurn and bart5986 like this.
  12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

At least from what I can understand they've hit a wall in game development of the universe until server meshing and other engine features are completed.

So it still sounds like they are confident about server meshing, it just sounds like another huge delay is coming :lol:

13. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I would have expected them to have been testing it internally for several years by now. The fact that they still haven't done a stress test or any sort of public proof of concept makes me think it doesn't work and they have no idea how to make it work.

miicah, Fortigurn, XanaTos and 3 others like this.
  14. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

In my experience as someone who works at a large-scale software company; I find it highly likely that they have nothing; or something that doesn't work.

If you got shit, you show shit.

Sankari, BlueRaven, Fortigurn and 3 others like this.
  15. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

I wonder if the temporary removal of large chunks of content was mentioned in the roadmap? Or in the roadmap for the roadmap?

Makes sense to me.
    If faced with a choice between showing a rough early version full of bugs along with an outline of how you're going to fix them,
    or showing nothing at all and saying "don't worry, we're working on it", which approach would sell more logistics management/CRM/custom web apps/imaginary spaceships?
    Considering how fast they're burning cash, I'd have thought that if CIG had anything at all to show off they'd be singing about it to the heavens.

Sankari likes this.
  16. sparz14

sparz14 Member

They made a loss of 9.7m in 2019. They've still got 60m in the kitty. We know for sure 2020 was a far better year than 2019 in terms of income from ship sales - 47m vs 79m... they'll be aight

BlueRaven and Sankari like this.
  17. WRC

WRC Member

They'd have gone to the wall by 2021 without the latest round of funding at their current burn rate, even with ship sales and pledges. Numbers are there to see on their own site. Amusingly there's an error in one of the tables issued by their CFO on the web page. Seems their issues aren't just related to development.

BlueRaven likes this.
  18. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

How did that go for Halo Infinite or Cyberpunk?

I got off the bandwagon years ago at this point, I sunk my $60 in right back at $2M raised mark. I dont know why anyone would be hating on at it that point. If he pulls it off, it should be one of the greatest games of all time. If he doesnt, well it was hardly a scam. Just a man with way too much ambition and built his development company incorrectly.

19. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Business 101, use other peoples money to make yours.

Sankari likes this.
  20. Nian

Nian Member

The thing is, when the game is complete. It will have massive advertising online. Expect physical copies in store. Amazon will likely push hard. Youtube and Facebook ads.
    Even now, most people have never heard of Star Citizen, and those that have heard of it, but have not bought a copy. Well, they probably have almost no idea what the game really is.
    There is a huge amount of lies and misinformation floating about.

Money wise.

There are 2,952,606 funded accounts right now.

If they make even half the sales of CP2077 on PC. They will have almost doubled their money.

Honestly, when at full swing. What they have made now could be only a fraction of potential total sales when finally released.