1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Sankari

Sankari Member

SC fanbois: 'Hey Roberts, we've given you a shitload of money, why isn't this game out yet?'
    Roberts: 'Because we're still adding content!'
    SC fanbois: 'STILL adding content?'
    Roberts: 'Yes, there was not enough content so we had to bulk it out a bit.'
    SC fanbois: 'OK, seems reasonable.'

*12 months later*

SC fanbois: 'Hey Roberts, we've given you a shitload of money, why isn't this game out yet?'
    Roberts: 'Because we're removing content!'
    SC fanbois: 'Now you're REMOVING content?'
    Roberts: 'Yeah, somehow we ended up with too much content, so we have to take out an asteroid and maybe an entire star system or perhaps something else, we might even toss a coin to decide, at this stage I have no fucks to give anyway.'
    SC fanbois: 'OK, seems reasonable.'

*12 months from now*

Roberts: 'Because we're still adding content!'

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  2. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

You'd think that would be an incentive to actually release a game. Apparently not.

BlueRaven and Sankari like this.
  3. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

My prediction of the online component if this game is released, you'll see a spike at release for users and then a sharp taper off as regular folk realise the game isn't fun because all the hardcore players will suck the fun out of things and most people will move on other things. The population will shift back to it's initial numbers of what is playing now and slowly cannibalise itself over time until there is a very small but dedicated user base left.

miicah, Fortigurn, Sankari and 5 others like this.
  4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I don't see why you think the hardcore players would suck the fun out of things, this didn't happen in Elite Dangerous (Although the game eventually did a pretty good job of that itself)

Star Citizen last I played it was over complicated, they need to do a lot of work either simplifying things, or providing an easy way to learn things.

Outside that the game just needs to be fun, which for me won't be the case until they figure out server meshing.

5. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

It generally happens with any MMO that has early access, a closed beta or when a new player joins an established game after a few months/years.

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I see what you are saying, but I've never played a full PVP game where there weren't already successful players in the game, sometimes as you said because of early access where those people play 16 hours a day to get the best stuff anyway.

So I'm not sure of the issue here, the backers are those who would normally have early access to your average MMO anyway. Unless you are one of those 16 hour a day early access/day 1 people, I don't think gameplay could be effected.

I can understand that maybe when you die in a PVP space battle, you might prefer to die to a 16 hour a day player with a huge ship where instead early on it will be someone who paid $300 for the kickstarter pledge instead.

Personally I don't see the difference, the 16 hour player has the same ship and financials as the person who paid early on for their ship and has the same outcome and risk.

Within a month the 16 hour a day players and the kickstarter players will be about the same anyway.

7. Tazor

Tazor Member

Peter Molyneux has entered the chat

Sankari, BlueRaven and bart5986 like this.
  8. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Happens in PVE games, I'm not talking about PVP or headstarts.

9. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Not sure i understand. What is the definition of a hardcore player? Doesn't every game have these? It's an Alpha open to everyone. It's not like its a closed to a small amount of players.

The way i see it, people that find an interest in supporting a game before it's release and can see what SC is trying to achieve will purchase the game now. All the current naysayers (90% of this thread) will be the ones purchasing the game at release. Everyone has the opportunity to 'donate/purchase' a ship now, so i hardly see it as unfair.

Also given the fact that large, expensive ships are not necessarily better... it doesn't bother me if people want to pay thousands of dollars for a ship. I'll just run circles around them. Each ship has a different purpose. Id rather a team of 10x smaller ships than have 10 people manning a large ship.

10. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Nobody mentioned fairness why are you bringing it up?

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

PsychoSmiley said "all the hardcore players will suck the fun out of things"

Which seems to imply something about fairness.

12. gav1ski

gav1ski Member

I think you are right on the tapering off bit (every MMO have this issue) but not the reason. I think the ones that will drop it early is the ones that spent big $$$$ on ships and rage quit when someone who can actually fly smashes them. The game will then go one of two ways, either the devs buckle to the players who spent big and effectively turn it into pay to win or they suck up the backlash and keep it fair for everyone.

Overly complex controls will kill the game dead as only the hard core games will have the time/inclination to learn them. From what I have read I think an option like was implemented in the X4 game would be best. Fly by wire (computer assisted) when doing normal stuff (trading/docking/etc) with the ability to go to full manual flight to give you the edge in combat.

https://www.egosoft.com:8444/conflu...+Travel?desktop=true&macroName=sv-translation

bart5986 likes this.
  13. sparz14

sparz14 Member

That goes against everything CR is working towards. If that was the case they wouldn't care about alot of the flight factors - weather, drag, lift, thrust, gravity, wingspan, engine placement, ship weight, cargo weight, etc. It's marketed as a 'flight sim', whilst keeping it interesting (i.e. reason for the sounds in space, even though they aren't realistic)

14. Tazor

Tazor Member

Yeah I feel like anyone hoping for a pick up and play experience is going to be disappointed and frankly I don't think CIG cares, because the whole vision is this game lets you play out your Sci-Fi fantasies in painful detail. Shit things like weapon ammunition scraping by removing bullets from someone else's gun and putting them into your own is an example of something most people will see and wonder why the hell any game needs that, but I see it as a way to deepen the role playing aspect.

15. sparz14

sparz14 Member

I see it similar to Escape From Tarkov. It's got those hardcore concepts and it works really well for immersion.

16. Tazor

Tazor Member

Yep - Star Citizen is the only game where I legitimately walk everywhere so I can take in the sights and sounds and I find it legitimately relaxing

sparz14 likes this.
  17. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Fixed for you :thumbup:

Sankari likes this.
  18. Nian

Nian Member

Want more salt on those chips on your shoulder?

Tazor likes this.
  19. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

He aint wrong though, probably continue following in duke nukem's footsteps and have another engine change soon and start again.

Sankari likes this.
  20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The fact that they've never changed engines makes this post quite funny :lol:

What you are likely referring to is the engine fork change, which is similar to changing from the Unity engine, to the the Unity engine nvidia fork that has special nvidia features, which is similar to applying a v4.1 update to your v4 unity etc game engine, which is quite common in games these days, especially early access games on Steam.