1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

They're building their wing commander reboot at the same time they're building an eve online style MMO and a new version of battlefield 2142. It's nuts.

2. hlokk

hlokk Member

Not quite the word I would use...

Sankari, DangerMaus and Fortigurn like this.
  3. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Good point. Perhaps fleecing?

Fortigurn and hlokk like this.
  4. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Our resident punching bags seem to have fled for now.

I am disappoint.

:)

Sankari and Fortigurn like this.
  5. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Maybe you need to come up with something worth replying to.

6. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Track how late Star Citizen is with this handy link :lol: https://howlongagogo.com/date/2014/november/1

How many months ago was November 1st 2014?
    76 months

How many weeks ago was November 1st 2014?
    334 weeks

How many days ago was November 1st 2014?
    2337 days

How many hours, minutes and seconds ago?
    56,072 hours
    3,364,337 minutes
    201,860,254 seconds

7. sparz14

sparz14 Member

People that actually enjoy playing Star Citizen can't have a meaningful conversation about the game because the resident SC trolls have their notifications turned on at all times and will be ready to change the topic from gameplay to budget/time/scam talk.

Wouldn't be surprised if that's also the last time half of yas got laid. TrOlLiNg Is FuN

Murmandamus and qwertylesh like this.
  8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Exactly what are your playing, the entire game alphas or mini demos of tech? HINT one is a game the other isn't.

PS - also only backers who pledge an appropriate amount above minimum where to be given access to any demo / alpha release not anyone with a game account.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    Sankari likes this.
  9. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

You still need a game package for alpha access outside of the free fly events.

10. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Call Star Citizen whatever you want. I've enjoyed hundreds of hours playing it. I've put alot less hours in some AAA games.

Think of it this way......just because you've got a girlfriend, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy your hand every now and then :D:D

11. Sankari

Sankari Member

How much money did you pay for your hand?

This halfwit had spent ~$30k by November 2015.

That's an awful lot of cash to drop on a wank.

12. hlokk

hlokk Member

c4dderly, GumbyNoTalent and Sankari like this.
  13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

So in its current state there is 100s of hours of content? Just to put that in context. I played Eve Online for 10 years weekly and still didn't visit every system, does Star Citizen have that many working star systems for you to visit now?

I'm glad you enjoy the alphas, thanks for testing, I always intended waiting to beta load testing rounds before bothering.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Sankari likes this.
  14. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

After 10 years of development and $350 million, Star Citizen has less than 1 star system - it's all about on-foot or ground stuff now, not the space opera stuff any more.

Mucking around for 5 years in a buggy alpha-testing sandbox on small low pop servers with a lack of realistic progression unless you pay real cash for new ships - is not content, it's self-delusion and dreaming of what it could be. And Roberts is counting on your imaginations and opening up your wallets despite the lack of substance and progress, with lots of talk and promises like any good salesman does to get rich.

upload_2021-3-28_7-57-8.png

Fortigurn, macktheknife and Sankari like this.
  15. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

So you're calling star citizen the ultimate edge?

16. BlueRaven

I will never get tired of seeing this one posted in here.

Nice and quick little check-in this month. :thumbup:

Edit:
    Alright, actually read back through a few replies and I'm gonna ruin the troll party. :(
    The people actually playing the "game" have a fair point, none of them can say a damn a thing about it unironically without getting shouted out of the room.

Perhaps some of the more aggressive trolls should settle down a little and leave them be?
    I'm including myself here, despite always and ever posting in jest. (Troll excuse #1 :lol:)

Just gonna leave this here, it's the latest version apparently... any word on SQ42 or what?
    Roadmap_sc20210127.jpg

17. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

I still think it's insane they didn't do SQ42 first.

Some of the items in that "roadmap" seem ridiculously slow for a game that's been in development this long. Ladders. Fire Extinguisher Tech. Door Alignment (?). Healing.

Also, when will people learn that unless you're building a legit hardcore singleplayer game in a setting where misfiring and bad weapon quality has a narrative that you should leave misfiring and wear out.

In Stalker or Fallout, then sure, weapons might misfire. In a high tech space game, no.

miicah, Sankari and BlueRaven like this.
  18. BlueRaven

Thanks for getting the intent of my edit and running with it. :)

Bloody excellent point, there seems to be some major misfires between what they want the game to be, what it actually could be, and what the roadmap describes in terms of what they're actually prioritising work on. From the very start, they've been trying to do everything at once, promising that they could, and then trying to keep up.

Finish SQ42. Finish and polish all of the FPS stuff that we all are going to want in a good FPS-RPG set in a space sci-fi environment. A lot of it sounds like its already done, if you listen to the disciples. But one glance at the roadmap reveals at least half a dozen things that I don't want to see in a roadmap for a "finished" Cool Shooty Space Game.
    Just get that shit done.

And go from there, step by step, gradually merging the FPS engine stuff with the already-developed spaceflight model. Put the full-on persistent multiplayer universe stuff (which is obviously still facing major technical issues) onto the furthest backburner and just make a good space game with its own self-contained SP story (ala that Wing Commander series which sold a few copies I'm told) that just follows on from SQ42. Just fix your shit and get on with it.

I'm under no misconceptions that I'm somehow the first person to suggest this (even within this thread), but the whole idea would seem to require a kind of logical progression and firm project direction that just seems to be completely lacking because too many resources are being diverted into selling Future Features For Fundraising. Fans of the game say that CIG/RSI has more than enough funds in the bank to make their dreams come true. But the company seems to lack any kind of real impetus towards organising this behemoth into something they can actually deliver, and then continue to profit from for years to come. If only they would just take it one (sensible) step at a time.

Edit of Edit of Edit: Yes, I understand the basic principles of parallel development as it applies to game design, and if I had any faith that this particular team could make such a design philosophy actually work, I'd say go for it. But LOL. Something something "deliverables" something something.

Alright, probably time to go and have a nice lie down.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    macktheknife likes this.
  19. Sankari

Sankari Member

My favourite part:

'WARNING: The roadmap will often be subject to changes due to unforeseen complexity in implemented features.'

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  20. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

Good ole Con Citizen... at this rate I may get to play the beta of SQ42 when I retire.

qwertylesh and Sankari like this.