1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

It’s pretty embarrassing that it’s nearly at its 10 year anniversary and it’s still in alpha.

Fortigurn and Sankari like this.
  2. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Feature creep means it can be in perpetual alpha and they have an excuse for nothing being polished. They have an entire giant room for an invictus themed hologram but CBF having a hologram guide/tutorial for new players after a fucking decade!?

macktheknife and Sankari like this.
  3. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Thanks for taking one for the team mate. I was out at "poor performance with 3070"... why would I even bother with a 1070.
    I kind of hoped that some of the essential stuff had moved forward from where it was, um (checks notes), like two hundred pages ago... guess not.

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in the clothing of sheep, but inwardly they are ravening wolves" - Matthew 7:15
    Pretty rare for me to quote a bible verse, but this felt appropriate somehow. :)

Edit: I may still download the client and have a look once my "New" Hotness is up and running.
    But something tells me it will be getting consigned to the recycling bin in not very much time at all...

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    Sankari likes this.
  4. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I was told the poor performance in Babbage was due to the invictus fleet being nearby so that doesn't bode well for large space battles anywhere near hubs. It dropped to low 20's viewing the ships in the display hall and there wasnt anything visually amazing in the slightest. Framerate was never close to 60 anywhere I've been though.

5. BlueRaven

6. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

For someone who's ok with the usual level of jank even I gave up on it this weekend. Can't even get away to a remote spot and do single player stuff due to long entity load in times, desync and hitching.

The back end clearly can't cope with the influx of players. Last year they averaged around 30k players per day but it got up to 100k during the Invictus event. Wouldn't surprise me if it's even higher this year. Supposedly there's tech on the horizon for it (icache etc), but as with anything related to this project I won't be holding my breath. With the game already having issues for 1v1 they certainly do have a long way to go before fleet battles are possible.

I've saw a couple streamers with the very low fps issue but it's been normal for most (and me). Not sure what the problem is. Memory leak or just trying to load too much in perhaps. I used to get issues like that with 16GB but have 32 in my system now. Someone said there was 4-5 times the normal number of entities around New Babbage which can't help.

7. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I have 32gb ram. I tried tweaking various settings and TBH it doesn't seem to make any significant difference just runs like a dog.

8. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I tried playing again this morning and kept being teleported back to my bed after a few seconds of moving. Good "Game"!

9. Tazor

Tazor Member

Sorry you had such a poor experience - I actually really dislike playing during events because the game just simply cannot sustain the sheer number of things happening all at once...

From the issues you've described - some of them are just parts of that 'Space Sim' experience so I think maybe the game will never really feel that fun to you - at least not yet, but it's never going to appeal to everyone.

For context, I play on a 3060 and once I'm away from the Fleet tour (fucking Bengal just shreds frames) I get back into the 60+ FPS range.

For contrast, I borrowed a Vanguard Harbinger last night and did a few hours of bounty hunting and had an awesome time, ran some cave missions and group assignments which was great but can't wait til after invictus and servers going back to normal cos the desync is just insane and immersion shattering (please don't quote this part and point out the many other things that ruin immersion xD I'm aware and turn a blind eye lol)

10. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

The only thing "sim" related I didn't like was having to run through a bunch of pointless rooms, use multiple lifts and public transport to get anywhere. Fast travel in the form of a turbo lift does not break the sim experience it lets you bypass hours of mundane shit to enjoy the game. If the game can't handle an event with a 50player cap after this long how do you expect it to ever be an MMO with thousands of players and large scale battles?

11. BlueRaven

I guess some people are just more patient/tolerant than others.

Given my preference for mostly sticking with older/less demanding titles due to the age of the hardware in my old rig, it's been years since I experienced a game chugging or glitching out (aside from the inevitable odd crash here and there on a 10 year old platform, and the usual normal "fun" glitches :)).
    So my patience for sitting through long load screens even with a fast SSD, to then jump into levels that chug and glitch and drop me through the map would be pretty thin.

If I'm downloading/installing a client and devoting time to setting up controllers and gfx/game settings whatnot, gonna want to be able to fully check out what the game has to offer, certainly before dropping any cash. It sounds like there's very little chance I'll be able to do that with a 1070 if there's any decent number of other players around.

12. Tazor

Tazor Member

GPU is actually my the main bottleneck - CPU, ram and SSD have much more of a performance impact

13. BlueRaven

Okay, roger that. Settings can always be turned down I guess, I'm not used to having all the bling turned on anyway.
    If it's more CPU/SSD bound I might actually do alright. Still got to finish building the fkn thing first... :lol:

14. Sankari

Sankari Member

Sounds like SC runs about as smoothly as severe constipation.

:wired: :Paranoid:

c4dderly likes this.
  15. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

the difference is a severe constipation will eventually release unlike Con Citizen.

miicah, qwertylesh, Fortigurn and 2 others like this.
  16. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Also you can get help for constipation. You can't get help to make Star Citizen come out faster.

17. BlueRaven

This thread always delivers.

Unlike Repetitive Space Injury.

Probably still gonna try it. I feel like I'm at a stage where I've shit-talked it enough that I should actually probably give it a fair go before continuing to shit-talk it further.

Yeah, sure, I could just cue up a yt playlist, but hey... it's not like I have a job to go to at the moment.
    I could make "shitting on Star Citizen" my full-time job, but I reckon that particular niche is already fairly well filled. :)

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    Sankari and macktheknife like this.
  18. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Run it on High/Very High. If you run it on low/medium, it uses up more of your CPU and actually runs worse.

Im running a 3070 with 32gb ram and i get a playable 40-60 fps @ 1440p. During initial load it takes a few minutes for everything to load, so fps may be worse to begin with. Obviously in a area with alot of entities, your fps is going to drop - i.e. in cities or in packed asteroid fields, but even then im getting 30+ fps.

Remember the influx of players during the free fly events can affect the performance of servers more-so when compared to the rest of the year

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  19. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I was running on very high. It ran like shit. Running it on low increased the FPS by about 15-20 in the worst areas which was still terrible considering the scene didn't look particularly impressive. If there is a 50 player cap per server then the extra players shouldn't make any difference. It's not as if it's going from 50 players to 5000.

20. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Even if there's only 50 players per server, there's going to be more traffic on the databases and infrastructure in general. There's also more entities loaded in for invictus week

Tazor likes this.