1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Aren't those extra entities meant to be isolated to the object container they're in or adjacent containers with players that are able to render/interact with them?

2. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Server Side Object Container Streaming wont fully shine until Server Meshing comes into the picture. With 50 players per server, there's bound to be at least one player at most points of interest, therefore most of the universe will be loaded in at all times. Once Server Meshing comes along, a server won't need to load entities from other parts of the universe.
    Remember im talking server performance here (which also affects fps)

3. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

That doesn't make any sense. The player at the point of interest is the only one that needs the entities loaded regardless of whether the containers are spread across different servers.

4. Tazor

Tazor Member

In most cases, yes - but unsurprisingly Star Citizen doesn't do things the way most other games do and the issue is more the load on servers with 50 players drawing content in at different areas.

Server meshing is going to address it down the line - but that's why events cause such a strain on the game.

5. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Defining the problem and giving the solution a name doesn't actually fix the problem - there hasn't been any trace or evidence that 'Server Meshing' exists or can be delivered.

hlokk and DangerMaus like this.
  6. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

From what I can tell there is no evidence of optimization of existing tech. OCS/SOCS has been in the game for years and seemingly doesn't do what it's supposed to.

Sankari likes this.
  7. Tazor

Tazor Member

It exists but they have a lot of turnover within that team which causes delays and issues as it's such a proprietry technology.

I don't think it's the kind of thing that can be done in part - but also I think it's proving to be a massive challenge to actually pull off.
    Whether or not iCache - which is pretty much done - and quantum will better enable the delivery of server meshing remains to be seen...

8. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

2-3 years is plenty of time to make it work especially with such limited scope. Other developers can build an entire game engine from scratch in that time with team member changes. The technical director in charge of it has been the same the entire time.

"We aren't expecting server-side OCS to have an impact on client performance." So it has nothing to do with the game running like shit then and won't improve client performance even with meshing... This "Game" is a fucking joke.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  9. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

They haven't even shown a demo have they? Like a sphere moving through empty space that migrates from one server to another and back again. It's pretty problematic when core technology that underpins a fundamental game promise can't be shown in any form.

Sankari likes this.
  10. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

If they had something, they'd show it, they can't, because they don't, because they are lying, deceitful and have no respect for their 'players'.

hlokk and Sankari like this.
  11. Tazor

Tazor Member

Nah I just have a close friend who works at CIG and the very little he is allowed to share was just that they have had a lot of turnover but it has received pretty consistent work.

Anyway, I'm gonna bow out here cos I feel like this thread just loops

12. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

That tends to happen when the "game" doesn't progress beyond a tech demo after a decade.

hlokk, Sankari and Fortigurn like this.
  13. Sankari

Sankari Member

14. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

I feel like we need to get some new material, hence my bold plan to go inside the cult and send a shocking exclusive report to the outside world...
    DangerMaus kind of beat me to the punch though.

I was seriously disappointed by his comments tbh. Was really hoping this thing was coming along, at least to a kind of "Bethesda game on launch day" sort of quality.

:)

Sankari likes this.
  15. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I didn't have much patience for it especially after the glitch that kept teleporting me back to the bed so I only played about 5-6hrs. I wanted to play it to see where the money has gone and left even more amazed that people are still supporting it.

BlueRaven likes this.
  16. Sankari

Sankari Member

But the sheets looked amazing, right?

:Pirate:

17. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

A game that teleports you to bed constantly would make me wish it was real life.

c4dderly, Fortigurn and BlueRaven like this.
  18. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Especially on a Saturday.

Be sure to check out my github for my new project, "Saturday Citizen", kickstarter coming soon.

19. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Sounds like they might have caved and fixed it.

Quote from earlier in the thread...

20. Gunna

Gunna Member

Looks good to go to me: