1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Yeah I had one of the original physical editions with signed collector box etc...sold that for I think $550US? Imagine waiting for a physical release of this game hahaha

Just have a Cutlass, Sabre and Talon now. Out of all the ships i've owned/flown Cutlass seemed the most fun to me overall. Glaive was my original favourite before they nerfed it and never bothered to fix/revisit

2. sparz14

sparz14 Member

SC's graphics have hardly dated. There's enough tech in the engine that they continue to make graphics improvements every patch and it's looking better than ever. If you've played SC, you'll know you can use the mousewheel to zoom in. You can see the bloody intricacies of a bolt in a wall - it's 3d, not just a texture on a flat wall. Don't tell me it's not keeping up with current gen graphics, because you're absolutely full of it....

Tazor likes this.
  3. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

It's not keeping up, at all. I was totally underwhelmed. The architecture is nice and that is about it.

Sankari likes this.
  4. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I have a lot more to write on this, but it's worth noting this came up within the Star Citizen community itself in 2019, and was raised again in 2020 and again this year. It's a very obvious concern, and there are valid reasons for it. Being able to zoom in on a bolt in a wall is not special, and there are far more considerations to take into account, not the least of which is the level of graphics possible when playing with large groups of other people.

DangerMaus and Sankari like this.
  5. Sankari

Sankari Member

Can zoom in on a bolt in a wall. Can't play for more than 15 minutes without witnessing a T-pose, a fatal clipping incident, or some other drastic bug that shouldn't exist in a game that's been under development for 10 years.

I guess it all balances out, right?

:lol:

Fortigurn likes this.
  6. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

SC looked good years ago but parts of it are really dated now. Despite not being as complex or well textured I found a lot of the locations in ME: Legendary Ed much more impressive. The SC lighting is mostly pretty bad which makes settings and character models look unnatural. Character faces often look worse than the ones in Crysis 3. Compared to CP2077 and even parts of Metro Exodus RT and Days Gone the graphics are showing a bit of age. When you compare SC character faces to MetaHuman faces it's a totally different league. When you compare zooming in to see a bolt to Nanite it's a totally different league. SC is still years away from release and not functional as an MMO after a decade. 50 players...

Sankari and Fortigurn like this.
  7. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

There are several issues here.

1. As I mentioned previously, being able to zoom in on a single bolt is a nice detail but isn't evidence SC's graphics aren't becoming dated.
    2. Graphics can look pretty while still looking dated.
    3. Concerns over SC's graphics becoming dated were raised widely within the SC community itself as far back as 2018. Recently it has been raised several times, again within the community itself.
    4. It has yet to be seen exactly what kind of graphical fidelity can be maintained by SC when over 50 people are playing simultaneously in the same game "space", or however they define it.

There's an interesting reddit thread here, on the official RSI sub from a year ago. Here are some pertinent comments from SC backers.
    • I was in New Babbage today. I dunno. Graphics already looks outdated to me.
    • Definitely some aspects of it are, but some are still ahead of its time.
    • The graphics are outdated but the scale of it still manages to impress me, it’s one thing to have AAA visuals in a small world and another to have them on a universal scale. Still I’m worried for the future, SC and SQ42 are going to look very dated in 1-2 years with next gen and they already look m dated compared to upcoming titles like TLoU2, it’s too late to revamp the graphics beyond adding RTX due to having too much content that would have to be revamped rather than just a few ships.
    So concerns over SC's graphics becoming dated are not simply scaremongering, they're emerging from within the backer community itself. In December 2020, this video by BoredGamer (a very dedicated SC fan who always tries to find a way to spin bad news about the game as positive progress), openly asked the question "Star Citizen LOOKS AMAZING BUT Will It Look Dated Before It's Released?". He addressed the concerns in his usual way.

1. Acknowledged they were legitimate.
    2. Pointed out SC does look very pretty regardless.
    3. Argued that SC has improved greatly over the years.
    4. Conceded there were some areas for graphical concern.
    5. Claimed the issue of graphics becoming dated could be avoided by simply "<waves hands vaguely> improving and optimizing". while acknowledging "exactly what this is going to all lead to in the end is not known on paper" (so typical of SC).
    6. Suggested RSI "may subsume other tech that they see that's sensible to do", which was a fairly obviously coded way to suggest RSI may change their engine to stay current.

This video was interesting to me due to the fact that it made more concessions than he usually does, though they were expressed in fairly cautious and guarded language (as is typical of him). Very interestingly, quite a few more concessions were made in the comments by SC backers. The game's lighting was identified as a concern, with unfavourable comparisons being made to current tech. Ship design was also raised.
    • I think by “dated” we have to consider more than shaders and polygons. Look at the Constellation. It looks like a video game spaceship designed in the 90s.
    • The atmospheric effects and planets look amazing. The stations and everywhere else you go look a little dated to me now due to Cyberpunk... the lighting effects regardless of if you use RTX are simply stunning.
    • After playing CP2077 I can tell you this is not the best looking game. That ending with the spaceship immediately made me think "wow this somehow looks better than SC ship interiors". It's mostly down to their next-level lighting.
    Another concern raised was an apparent downgrade of graphical fidelity in some areas.
    • i'm shocked so many ppl don't see a huge downgrade of planets and moons in 3.12 in compare with 3.11. You are talking about acid biomes while there are no acid ones on Hurston. What you are showing are small acid(?) geysers on gray and red ground. It was there in 3.11. No acid biomes on Arial too. No frozen puddles and blue small rocks on Lyria and many more. Overall environment looks too soapy now. No clarity. Try to find differences between Cellin, Lyria and Yela. There are no differences now. They look the same with small exception of different colouring. It's not an upgrade. Sad ppl just close their eyes on real issues just to get a sweet candy from CIG.
    Even more relevant is a video from 27 June of this year, entitled "[Star Citizen] Does Star Citizen's graphic engine hold up or will it look dated on release?". Although it was made by a tiny channel of less than 1,000 subscribers, it contains a serious, detailed, and very in depth look into the issue, and addresses a number of ways that RSI could respond to the challenge of staying current, including using more of the Lumberyard assets and features, tweaking their own implementation of it further, and even swapping over to UE5. The video creator assesses each possible solution and comments on its feasibility and chance of success. Highly recommended.

GumbyNoTalent and Sankari like this.
  8. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Blue Leader checking in, Fortigurn thanks for taking the time to write that out mate. :thumbup:

I would not go so far as to say that they are polishing a turd, but there definitely seems to be a fairly obvious mismatch of priorities between RSI's management/dev process and what the community is actually asking for.
    How loudly people are shouting about various things is simply a function of how patient any particular backer might be.
    I respect the fact that posters in this thread who are committed to the game seem to be giving the devs a pretty long leash regarding how things are going.
    But it's worthwhile nothing that others are not quite so patient, yet the squeeky wheels still get no grease.

Sankari and Fortigurn like this.
  9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I'll repeat a statement I made in 2013-2014 don't care much for the how pretty the game looks because that is always subjective, care more for the gameplay and hope that that technical demo from the kickstarter page about the damage physics is implemented first and foremost before shiney less interesting tech. But alas we have a shiney turd of a ho-hum vs the gameplay magnificence that was the original dream / snake oil being sold.

10. BlueRaven

100% this, give us a functional and fun space game first and foremost and I'll run to buy in, assuming that "final polish" details will get taken care of in future updates (y'know, the way EVERY SINGLE AAA LIVE SERVICE GAME does it these days).
    If I don't see that happening, wallet stays in pocket... I'm easily tempted but I've been burned before. :lol:

Being an absolute KSP addict, I can't help but compare....
    Released as a buggy-as-hell alpha (many of which bugs actually ended up becoming treasured "features"), then gradually bugfixed and and expanded and tidied up and DLC'd with excellent-value additional content, and the final priority once everything else was done and dusted... texture updates for the various orbiting bodies released 10 years later with no expectation of making any real extra profit, mostly done as a Thank You to the community for supporting the game.
    This is how it should be done.

I acknowledge that the scope of SC is far greater than that intended for KSP (which nevertheless expanded in scope from its original concept over time).
    But the basic process should remain the same. Deal with Critical Gameplay Bugs first as the highest priority. Everything else can come later.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    Fortigurn and Sankari like this.
  11. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Warframe is another great example. Quite apart from the huge amount of content development, the increase in graphical fidelity over time has been tremendous.

Warframe is constantly receiving updates, not only in form of new content but also enhancement of previous content.

1. Graphical remastering of earlier levels and missions.
    2. Adding new gameplay mechanics.
    3. Rebalancing existing mechanics and content, often at the request of the community.

12. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

The graphics being good/bad/okay/whatever is just cart before horse. People made compelling space games with ships made of 50 polygons back in the day.

Penfold and Fortigurn like this.
  13. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Well ive decided to give it a go. Bought a ship and downloading. It appears the 3.14 patch has made more progress and game is more playable now. Im interested in exploration, cargo missions etc. Multi crew ships sound exciting.

BlueRaven likes this.
  14. Sankari

Sankari Member

I can remember when 50 polygons was cutting edge.

:tongue:

BlueRaven and macktheknife like this.
  15. Tazor

Tazor Member

Nice one, if you're looking for a casual Aussie group to play with, our org Citizens on Patrol is always happy to help newbies learn the ropes. We've got a few of the multi-crew mining ships and a bunch of other large ships.

GTR27 and BlueRaven like this.
  16. GTR27

GTR27 Member

I bought an avenger titan "starter" pack. Have had a walk around the cloud city place. Had a basic fly of it, but getting used to the controls, jumped out of the ship before i'd left the atmosphere, so fell to my death ha ha

Tazor likes this.
  17. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Still very alpha still, so not really.

18. BlueRaven

I'll wait for GTR to report back, but I hold out no great hope.

Recently got the HOTAS setup going again so I'm looking to put it to use.
    But I already put coin into Elite:SpaceTruckinDangerous, so...

19. Tazor

Tazor Member

Free fly event starts in 2 days if you feel like jumping in strings free for a play.

Unfortunately, while this patch brings a lot of great gameplay they have introduced an increase in server instability so 30k's are very common. I think this is a direct result of them launching regular live events, but super shitty to run a free fly when people are guaranteed to experience constant server crashes...

If Star Citizen's servers were half way competent I think the game wouldn't get half the flak it currently gets because about 80-90% of the worst and most frequent bugs are server related.
    I'm not sure if any of the cynics here have ever tried the game on an empty server but it's a completely different experience and gives you a glipse of how good it will actually be when CIG can sort their shit out with the servers.

BlueRaven and Fortigurn like this.
  20. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

If not when.

modernshoggoth likes this.