1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. MoorKhan

MoorKhan Member

Based on the livestream and leadup stuff, I thought he already had funding from private investors. It was just that some of it was contingent on demonstrating sufficient interest via this pre-order and 'kickstarter' stuff.

I figure its best to treat any kickstarter style campaign, especially ones with a delivery date several years out, as a massive gamble though.

2. proffesso

proffesso Member

dont get your hopes up too high guys, this bit is correct

Edit

cough cough bullshit cough

3. Psycho84

Psycho84 Member

Most of whats proposed was done pretty well in Freelancer. I'd think between then and now technology could fill in a few of its shortcomings :)

4. proffesso

proffesso Member

sure, it can be done, just not in a timely nor budgetary fashion

Freelancer is by comparison a million times less complex graphically and engine wise, the engine they were at the time was from another spacesim, so they had a fair bit of a headstart. assets / iteration etc were all cheaper to do. you could make 10 ships back then for the price of 1 today.

it'll be interesting to see where they get. ie, cryengine is almost a million on its own, so 10 - 14mil for the size/scope they want will be pushing it

5. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

Freelancer was very much a arcade space game, this is trying to be a true simulator. Just check out the section where he demonstrates Newtonian physics with thrusters on ships etc...

6. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

And how delayed was Freelancer?

I rather he focused on one part and do it well like Starlancer which I thought was a much more superior game.

7. Psycho84

Psycho84 Member

Freelancer was delayed? I honestly can't remember at all.

Freelancer did have decent Newtonian physics too. Engine off mode for that full Battlestar Galactica experience, engine on for fighter jets in space.

I don't think he's reinventing the wheel here. Not when he has a lot of published proof of concepts to draw on and he's definitely the one to try and bring them all together again.

8. CoByau

CoByau Member

Freelancer was delayed so much because Roberts was getting screwed around by the Suits (from what I have gathered)

the beauty of this project is that there is no suits involved at all ......... so no EA to ruin the game (like they did with SW:TOR)

This game looks absolutely AWESOME

I pledged $60 and I hope anyone even remotely interested in playing this pledges at least $20 - 30 so they can reach their goal and get this thing happening

9. maestro

maestro Member

I pledged $35.

I agree this looks awesome, and hopefully this model will allow the true vision of the game to be achieved, not some cut-down mess to meet a publishers deadline!

10. BuZeR

BuZeR Member

Did read this interesting post by Triggo on the SC forums in relation to the ship physics and graphical problems in the replication of it..
    ** Edit

Also, I hope everyone who plays space sims/games and enjoys them pledges to this game. They are a dieing breed with all the AAA titles being cookie cutter MMOs or the generic military FPS... This is the chance for a AAA titled Space sim for the PC, when was the last time we saw one of these? Once the game is relased, it will sell for, what, $80-$110? So pleging $20-$30 now and getting the full game on completion (plus a few perks never hurt;)) is a chance I personally find hard to shoot down as a fan of the genre, as such I pledged $125 for those reasons and highly hope everyone else does too!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  11. NSanity

NSanity Member

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

12. Rhimes

Rhimes Member

I'm in on the kickstarter! Can't wait to see what gets made.

13. SneakyBastd

SneakyBastd Member

Only saw the videos for this game yesterday, and it looks awesome. That he used a controller in parts was pretty worrying... but everything else looks great.

14. NSanity

NSanity Member

Its PC only.

15. Scroosh

Scroosh Member

I was gonna put 30 bucks down on the kickstarter but then I saw release date was 2014... Fuck that I'll just wait and buy it when it releases.

Rather put 30 bucks towards a game I can play this year or next.

16. BuZeR

BuZeR Member

Yeah Id rather pay $90 bucks in 2 years then buy it now for $30 with crappy bonuses like in game ships and stuff... /sarcasm :p

17. Scroosh

Scroosh Member

You buy games from EB? lawl

18. BuZeR

BuZeR Member

Everyone knows EB is the best place to get games! :rolleyes:

19. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Confused.

I pledged on the website now it's being kickstarted???

20. Sledge

Sledge Member

yep, but they're both linked..