1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

Loaded in for the first time ever. Why am I being repeatedly told combat controls in an apartment complex? Am I in danger? Am I the danger?

Had to look up a youtube video to figure out how to get out of the hanger. Decided I could be doing something fun instead.

c4dderly likes this.
  2. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Welcome to the game of the future, the greatest and must fun game ever.

Sankari likes this.
  3. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

A future where online shopping as well as click and collect have been abolished in order to force star citizens to exercise.

Sankari, Fortigurn and macktheknife like this.
  4. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Well there's still one kind of online shopping; good old microtransactions, to chisel even more money out of you, and encourage you to pay to win or pay to progress.

Sankari likes this.
  5. WRC

WRC Member

6. Tazor

Tazor Member

Except there's no pay to win/progress mechanics in the game at the moment? Sure you can pledge to access ships, but pretty much every ship is available to earn in game through missions.

7. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Paying to purchase a ship to avoid hours of grind for it is the definition of pay to progress. Paying to purchase a ship which is going to give you a significant advantage over people who don't have the time to grind for it or the money to purchase for it, is paying to win. And that's just ships, even before we get to other items and consumables.

There are dozens of posts on Star Citizen's own forums making this point.

Penfold and Sankari like this.
  8. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Can't wait for the server meshing presentation showing off the progress! :weirdo::lol:

9. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

CitizenCon is an ironically appropriate name.

10. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

I can't believe they finally announced the completion date...

upload_2021-9-26_11-38-59.png

11. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Theaters of War game mode has been leaked (via the Nvidia Gameworks leak) will indeed be released a sold stand-alone game, developed with SC/SQ42 backers money... lol.
    Mods are apparently deleting any backlash threads left-right-and-center...

Here is a screen grab from one.. (click to zoom)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Sankari, Fortigurn, RnR and 2 others like this.
  12. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

The funny thing is there's (imo) a market out there for a large scale Battlefield clone with enough of a marketing push to gain mainstream recognition, I just wouldn't trust anyone related to Star Citizen to build it.

13. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

sigh indeed.

I've been patiently waiting to see if they could actually get SQ42 out the door as a properly playable and finished/tested/polished game, as a bit of a litmus test before decided whether to invest time/money in SC.
    I'm sure I'm not alone in this, considering how important it is to get the first-person stuff right in this kind of massively open world game.

And now we learn that along with continuing to kick that can down the road, they've also paid backer money to a console-focussed studio for a whole new can.
    Seriously, wtf? Who asked for this?

The screencapped post makes some excellent points re. the claim that ToW is being developed to test combined arms combat and the kind of competition it will face from established franchises in that space.
    Call me crazy, but if you can afford to pay an outside studio to develop this as a standalone game, surely you could afford to instead allocate/hire staff to further develop/playtest/bugfix large-scale combat within SQ42 itself?
    The fact that they've outsourced this suggests that SQ42 development is way off the pace (surprise! :rolleyes: ).

Looking forward to having a laugh at the inevitable new-and-expanded Roadmap that adds ToW "milestones"...
    Get your preorders in now!!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Sankari likes this.
  14. Ck21

Ck21 Member

Doesnt surprise me at this point, they outsourced and paid the same company that does their website, to open a new studio, to develop star systems for SC.....

So another studio to make a game mode out of SC into a standalone title, not that much of a stretch.

Just another excuse to keep the gravy train going.

At some point, there will be something else outsourced announced, just so their internal workforce can "keep focused" on the PU.... add repeat infinitum

Sankari and Fortigurn like this.
  15. Penfold

Penfold Member

Wow they only put together Theatres of War because they hired all the ex-crytec guys. It was pretty easy as the Crytec Engine was designed for FPS shooters & they had the assets => put something impressive together quickly to show their progress and keep backers happy. But trying to shovel it out as a separate game is pretty lame. This will probably come out before SQ42 :p

Sankari and Fortigurn like this.
  16. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

There's something vaguely fitting about the fact that we're 400 pages into this thread, and now this ToW thing pops up.

Ed: Been trying really hard to stay positive/unbiased about this whole affair, because I really want it to be a proper thing, I've said this multiple times in previous posts.

But shit man... it honestly feels like RSI/CIG don't want me as a player and they are trying their hardest to convince me that this is an ongoing scam.
    feelsadman.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Sankari, dave_dave_dave, Ck21 and 3 others like this.
  17. Ck21

Ck21 Member

I know how ya feel man, ive been in this since 2013, and im in for 1k USD, and every year i check in, and every year its another reason why its delayed, or something got scrapped and started from scratch again eerr *refactored*, or something else is now outsourced.

still no SQ42 single player campaign or "episodes" or whatever their calling it now.

i reckon in 2023 this thread will be still going, and not much will have changed, probably hit the 500m in funding, ToW will have been scrapped, and outsourced to another studio....

Missed the refund train too long ago, if this goes on much longer, not only will i have told the kids about this, ill be telling the grand kids about this

18. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

so now all the SC42 people know how the SC people feel, " why the fuck are you building some other software when your 1st and 2nd promises haven't been meet" !

PS SC42 is a after thought the original kickstarter made no mention of it.

Sankari likes this.
  19. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

It absolutely did. Mind you it also said the game was single player with co-op.

The pitch video predates the 18th October 2012 kickstarter and mentions SQ42 being an integral part of the project.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  20. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

It's not really a scam perse, they are continuing to work on a product all this time. Being completely self-published with pumping backers for money which keeps paying their salaries they can take as long as they like, etc. There is a balancing act of backer confidence that will eventually fail over time, and the money will dry up - then we just get what we get. The project management has been simply atrocious.