Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Just checking on the progress again. The game was supposed to launch with 100 star systems. Oh wait, that was downgraded, it's actually 60 star systems.

Oh wait, that was downgraded, it's actually 50 star systems.

Oh wait, that was downgraded too, they're currently aiming for 5 to 10 star systems.

How many do they have completed at present? Apparently, one. The work of eight years.

c4dderly and Sankari like this.
  2. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Was meant to be 100 systems.

First system still needs a few years of polish from what I've seen.

Sankari and Fortigurn like this.
  3. Sankari

Sankari Member

This is absolutely amazing.

4. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Amazingly old news

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Citizen-CON in a nutshell this year...

upload_2021-10-11_15-48-6.png

upload_2021-10-11_15-46-36.png

edit: Also SQ42 was nowhere to be seen... FeelsBadMan. :(

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Sankari, BlueRaven and Fortigurn like this.
  6. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Yeah the backer confidence thing gets back to what we were discussing earlier in thread re. going Free-To-Play.
    They would likely lose quite a few whales instantly upon announcing it, and likely cause a truly epic shitstorm.
    But by winding some expectations back and going F2P they could probably expand the potential player (read: customer) base a fair bit.
    Bearing in mind I'm someone who would like to play but won't drop a cent until I'm convinced that it's worth my time. YMMV.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  7. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Well if they bothered with, progress, we'd have new fails to talk about wouldn't we?

c4dderly and Sankari like this.
  8. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Damn i was really about to jump into this - now I might just hold off. The vid's on you tube demonstrate a really polished well developed game. guess not.

qwertylesh likes this.
  9. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

I think I make the same sort of comment once every year or so when I remember this game exists, I got a $40 package back in 2014 and I'm glad I had the good sense to only pledge the bare minimum. The main thing I was really interested in was a Wing Commander/X-Wing type game that had VR support. If/when SQ42 actually comes out I'll give it a try although not sure if VR support is still a thing for this game.

Sankari likes this.
  10. Duff Man

Duff Man Member

Thats the only thing holding me back from this is the VR support. I don't really follow the progress of this game but I understand that they have put VR on the backburner for now until it's officially released in...... Crickets!

Sankari and Fitzi like this.
  11. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Seems like Elite: Dangerous is still the best option for Space Truckin'/Combat in VR. Although it has its own lore regarding how certain game balance and development issues have been handled.
    I've been meaning to get into it for ages (no VR but do have a HOTAS setup) but I keep getting distracted by other things.
    Star Wars Squadrons is another one on the "must take a look at" list, it seemed to go over remarkably well considering previous treatments of the SW franchise in the recent past.

SC coming in a distant third at present....

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  12. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

Squadrons looked to have promise as a modern X-Wing/Tie Fighter but fell short as far as I could tell, a mate who's into flight sims refunded it almost immediately, seems it's ok with a game pad or mouse but no good at all with a proper joystick etc.

I stumbled upon this Tie Fighter: Total Conversion
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/tie-fighter-total-conversion-tftc
    but haven't had a chance to even really look at it to see if it's any good yet, I just don't have the time for much gaming these days.

BlueRaven likes this.
  13. Tazor

Tazor Member

Anyone wanting to get a better idea of Server Meshing should check out the Q&A from this week - they are suggesting the next major elements should be only Q1-Q2 next year with the full Server Meshing tech being online by end of next year, I'll believe it when I see it but they actually answered everyone's questions very thoroughly which is nice.

Also IAE starts in a week with another free-fly event. Microtech is getting planetary volumetric clouds and about 3-4 new ships should all drop at the same time.

Oh and 3.15 is live as of Yesterday for anyone who's been looking forward to more punishing death mechanics in a game where walking down stairs can kill you!

14. miicah

miicah Member

Oh man I love seeing this thread pop up in new. I get to go back 10 pages and re-read all the BS from CIG.

Also imagine if you had just been playing ED the entire time instead of waiting for this clustermug to be finished.

Sankari likes this.
  15. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

DOUBT.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  16. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

you have misunderstood, this is actually a tension creating mechanism in the gameā€¦. As you never know when you are going to die ;)

Sankari likes this.
  17. Sankari

Sankari Member

At this stage it's not even funny anymore. It's just sad.

:wired: :Paranoid:

macktheknife likes this.
  18. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Given their track record and that they've supposedly been working on server meshing since 2019 I find it highly unlikely that it will be anywhere near complete by the end of next year. They might have a half arsed unstable version by then but they won't be any closer to bringing MMO scale to SC.

Sankari likes this.
  19. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

What a bizarre statement. Why would anyone stop playing other games while waiting for one to be completed?

Also, you'd be immensely bored playing ED for this long. I have hundreds of hours in it but just can't stand it any more. NMS had better replay value/ongoing appeal with its updates.

20. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Interest is waning. The "pro" scene are apparently leaving SC in droves, and cancelling their subs... < 10 players per server...?

upload_2021-11-13_9-13-55.png upload_2021-11-13_9-14-14.png

Sankari likes this.