1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Montezuma

Montezuma New Member

Blue Horizon - Star Citizen Trading

If anyone on these forums is looking to play Star Citizen on release, and like teh idea of working for a large, well organised trading corporation, I'd like to invite you to take a look at our group Blue Horizon.

We have Divisions to suit all play styles, from explorers to merchants to fighter pilots, so take a look and jump on our TeamSpeak if you're interested and you can have a chat to one of our recruiters. It's also worth reading our directives and goals on the website so that you can make sure that what you want can line up with what the corporation wants.

Blue Horizon - http://www.bluehorizon.se/index.php

Cheers,

Montezuma's Revenge

2. csbalkwill

csbalkwill Member

Reviving this thread, Star Citizen has announced the finalised version of one of the ships, the Aurora, and you can make a basic $45 pledge to get the Advanced Starter Package.

This is an incredibly cheap pledge/purchase to get into the game. Tell your friends about it as I know not everyone can afford the hundreds some are pledging, but I am sure most space sim fans can cobble together $45.

3. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

I wish they'd stop emailing me updates! Can't wait for this to come out... I've emailed my brother and some friends, they might pledge now as well.

4. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

I dunno I'm tempted to pledge because I love the genre but the promotional material for the game has a really nasty snake oil/steak knives/butjustwait there'smore! Sort of vibe about it, that makes it feel like a scam even though i don't actually think it is one.

I think I will wait, worst case scenario the game is mind blowing and I have to spend an extra $10-$20 to buy it.

Sankari likes this.
  5. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

The difference between kickstarter/crowd funding and snake oil/steak knives/butjustwait there'smore scams is with the latter you're forking over your money for a product that already exists. This game is still being worked on, it is being worked on by fan input, and will have Alpha and Beta access to those that pledge... If you don't like the Alpha, provide your input.

6. groundfisher

groundfisher Member

I know that Squadron 42 is the single player game and that there is a persistent universe.

How does SC differ from a MMORPG? I haven't found that info.

7. zbone

zbone Member

If only they made it in Star Wars setting, sigh, they would get my $100 easily. Wing Commander? I ll wait and see how ping friendly it is. Very few things are as frustrating as high network latency shooting.

8. MoorKhan

MoorKhan Member

As I understand it, the persistent universe is just a star map and an economy, everything else will be made up of temporary pocket instances.

I think the online persistent universe is basically a heavily instanced MMO, just missing a couple of the common MMORPG tropes (like character progression outside of your equipment, although even that may change as there was talk of requiring a license to use the bigger ships).

9. groundfisher

groundfisher Member

Thanks. Interesting. mmorpg players hate instanced content. alpha will tell how things play out, I guess. I have my doubts but I did 'pledge'.

Posted from Overclockers.com.au App for Android

10. Asako

Asako Member

That's part of what the alpha will be for, but we're highly likely to get a local "battle server" whether actually in Australia, or just an Oceanic one (Singapore seems to be brought up often).

The galaxy and economy, basically all the non-combat stuff, is just a global persistent server, no "shards" or separate servers or whatever. But due to player loads and all that, instances will be limited to ~100 people (again, alpha is to test actual limits) however in deep space for trans-system travel, it's only when you intersect someone else (whether player or NPC) that you enter a combat instance with them. A lot of people seem to be thinking "fixed" space, eg stations and planetary orbit, won't be instanced, but I don't see how as that will be where the huge numbers congregate. We'll see.

Actually being on a station or down on a planet is non-combat, so can theoretically handle a lot more people, though. Also not tens/hundreds of thousands of polys for every ship to render, so less laggy anyway.

But it's too early to see how it actually ends up being instanced. Alpha isn't until the end of the year, though I look forward to the hangar module in August.

11. Moochin_Bastard

Moochin_Bastard Member

Pleged $45 for the Advanced Starter Pack, so keen for this and it's far to good of a deal to pass on.

12. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Bought the gf the advanced starter package also, cause you know, leather. :lol:

13. Lucus Maximus

Lucus Maximus Member

Star Citizen cracks $10M mark!

Start citizen has passed the $10M mark this past week!

I'm really looking forward to this game, wish I found out about it earlier! :) I'm personally getting a Contellation & have also picked up an Aurora LX for myself and my Brother.

Coming up later next week on Saturday morning (Friday US) Roberts Space Industries & the Cloud Imperium Games team will be launching the broucher of the 300i with it's variants that will be available & next Saturday they will be doing a 24hr live stream to celebrate the launch of their new web site design, many other fun antics and possible sales.

Be sure to check it out!

-Lucus :D

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  14. MoorKhan

MoorKhan Member

I like the way the new website has been slowing breaking through the current one, smashing it's way through the background and dislodging elements on the existing site ... really cool idea for launching a redesign :thumbup:

Also, the game is still looking good.

15. upnat0m

upnat0m Member

just received my star citizens backers card - they are really nice a good memento for what will be a great gaming experience

16. Lucus Maximus

Lucus Maximus Member

300i Series Reveal

This morning the team from Cloud Imperium Games has revealed the ORIGIN Jumpworks 300 Series line of spacecraft!

They have done an amazing in game engine commercial for the ship plus a 22 page broacher going over the whole range!

There is also a sale on across the range with different packages available which will also lead in to the launch of the new site next Saturday with the Live Stream starting at 2am AEST.

-Lucus :)

17. Sledge

Sledge Member

I don't understand how this game isn't going to be 'Pay to Win'
    I just want a game I can go into, play, and win on my merits, rather than have to fork out $500+ just to have a chance..

Bring back the Wing Commander of old, where you just buy the damn game and play it!

18. Lucus Maximus

Lucus Maximus Member

Won't be pay to win

It's based on skill, everything that you can currently get by pledging toward it can be earned in game with in game credits. There's no second currency.

The game will use rock scissor paper aspect so you might have a big ship but a smaller faster ship could beat you, comes down to the skilled pilot.

The majority of people who have pledged have gone for the basic or next level up as an average pledge (around $60 & under $100) and something like only 4% people have pledged towards a $250 level ship or higher to give you an idea of what going for.

-Lucus

19. VeeK

VeeK Member

300i Spacecraft Trailer

20. Lucus Maximus

Lucus Maximus Member

Star Citizen New Site Luanch & 24hr live stream

Today Star Citizen have launched their new website along with a new Ship - The Avenger

At 2am AEST this morning the 24hr Live Stream also kicked off with heaps of info, interviews and madness planned throughout the day! :)

Check it out!

-Lucus :)