1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (SWGOH) iOS/Android

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Pbx_Jnr, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

I couldn't see a thread for this so I thought I'd make one...

Anyone playing this? I've been at it for almost 2 years now and still enjoy it!

It's a squad based battle game, typically 5v5 and there are fleet battles too, which are 3v3 initially but you get to call in reinforcements and it ends up being 5v5 (used to be 5v5 from the start). There are raids, arena matches, territory wars (arena matches between guilds) as well as special events to unlock characters etc. It's also freemium, so the whales do get access to the more powerful characters a little earlier than f2p'ers, but really the f2p'ers don't miss out at all as the characters are usually then made available to them just at a later date. The content has been pretty KOTOR heavy for a little while now, but the whole Old Republic era is pretty awesome so I don't mind at all!

There are quite a few games of this style out there but I keep coming back to this one. I'm not sure if it's just cause I love Star Wars so much or because some of the gameplay and theorycrafting reminds me a bit of WoW :) I played Marvel Strike Force for a while too, which was pretty much a carbon copy of SWGOH, but that game didn't feel as polished compared to SWGOH, even with their superior graphics, so again I keep going back to SWGOH.

So yeah... anyone else playing?

2. Calindor

Calindor Member

Yep.

Been playing for a while. Like you, other games of this type don't have the same depth or variety of game modes. I think SWGOH has in the main gotten the freemium balance about right. Other games have such limited ways to gain character shards compared to SWGOH.

I'm still playing, and still enjoying it. Lead a casual guild, and we're all F2P players, and now have a pretty solid core of people in the guild at a decent level where we're now winning more than losing TWs.

A few of us have unlocked Jedi Knight Revan, and am currently farming away on Carth/Canderous/Juhani for Darth Revan. One of us has a 7* OG Chewie, and another has C-3PO. We're getting there - about as quickly as the game will let us.

Clones are fun (especially boosted in TW), and I wish the devs would rework them. Bounty Hunters are awesome fun too. And I'd like to get to Imperial Troopers at some point.

3. power

power Member

So this is what EA are using the license for.

4. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Playing it for some time myself in a pretty casual guild too but this game slightly freemium at most. I'd say it rewards whales hand over fist and strives to ensure they feel special at the detriment of all others. The Revan power creep is absurd to be honest and the balance model is non-existant and only rewards those that can keep up with the treadmill. The costs are absolutely absurd and move into the level of macrotransaction based on their costs. The costs are justified in that people are seemingly willing to throw hundreds of dollars to max a new release character, fools and their money and all that.

I enjoy it but there needs to be a huge PvE injection of content.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  5. Calindor

Calindor Member

Agree with you on the power creep. Jedi Knight Revan really skewed the numbers. Something like ~85% of all top tier Arena teams are JKR teams. They had it kind of right with Darth Traya I thought. A character available as a reward at the end of the heroic tier of the Sith Raid should be pretty strong.

Lore-wise, I don't have a problem with it. Star Wars is full of super-powerful characters throughout it's "history", so nothing wrong with that feel being replicated in a game. Gameplay-wise, it is obviously an issue. I don't expect to compete with the whales, and so enjoy the game as it is. F2P players expecting to compete are just fooling themselves.

There is still plenty of scope for more content I think. Fleets need tweaking/expansion, for one. And a Fleet raid would be pretty cool.

6. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Basically I'm somewhat anti-meta. I don't have CLS still as I've avoided it and anything beyond that. I run a surgical Imperial Troopers team, NS and a Rogue One team but I just plain refuse to get on the meta train. The Sep Droids were an instant acquisition because they're perceived as crap and therefore something I'm interested in and currently sinking times/mats into as much as I can.

I have a G12 CUP if that says anything about my approach to this game.

7. Calindor

Calindor Member

Brilliant. That's what it says. How was he in those TW when he was boosted?

3 of my 5 Clones are G12. Working on Fives and Echo.

Alongside the Imperial Troopers (Veers, Stark, Deathtrooper, Snowtrooper and Magmatrooper right now, Shoretrooper coming), am considering an all-Han team.

8. OP
    OP
    Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Nice Calindor and PsychoSmiley !

Where are you guys at raid progression-wise?

I'm in an aussie semi-serious guild at the moment and we recently cleared our first HSTR and have cleared it twice more since then. We have an excellent TW record currently and around 33* for LSTB and DSTB if I remember correctly.

I've almost farmed the guys for JK Revan, haven't touched Darth Revan and should be ready for 7* Chewie next time he comes around. I've been using 6* Chewie in my CLS arena team for a while and it's just wicked fun!

I do definitely agree about the power creep though. Revan, both light and dark have been ridiculous. A guy in my shard had Darth Revan within an hour and half of the event starting... he already has him at level 85, G8 with triple zetas. The only "good" thing is that he couldn't G12 him from the get go because of the new gear needed. That said though, he is already sitting at #8. I did read somewhere that the intention of Darth Revan here is to counter JK Revan obviously, but CLS led teams could counter Darth Revan, so there is a possibility to have a Rock-Paper-Scissors kinda meta. That would be good if that eventuates!

9. Calindor

Calindor Member

Yeah, hopefully they've learned from JKR dominating the meta for so long.

We're at Tier 6 of the Sith Raid, and I think around 20-25 stars for Territory Battles. As said, we're a guild of F2P and pretty casual, so there's a bit of churn in the lower end as people don't move past L40 or so. Slowly building up our core of players, and building up our roster of characters. For TB for example, we're still slack on Officer Leia, Snow Han, and Probe Droid.

JKR is good fun, and really reliant on super GMY. I hover around #100-150 with my Sith team. Just love how that team plays, but obviously have issues with JKR teams, Bastila teams, and CLS teams with 3PO and Chewie.

10. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

We haven't started HSTR yet. 6* is getting pretty quick, but for myself I'm just not equipped for it apart from NS. I need to get Spirit up so I can use them in P4 of STR.

But yeah, we're a casual nz guild (90mil GP) but we do pretty well in TW and it's rare for us to lose since we have a good balance and strategy.

Already a G12 Dr.Evan running around on my shard in the top 50.

Me being meta averse doesn't help with arena, but it means I'm okay in GA with non-Revan players. Sep Droid grind is a PITA atm but I'm hoping it will work out in the end and it's required for something.

11. OP
    OP
    Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Which NS have you got so far PsychoSmiley ? For P4 I usually run Ventress (L), Talzin, Daka, Talia and Zombie. If my NS were needed for P3 instead, I would run the Deathstorm team, Talzin (L), Ventress, Daka, Initiate and Zombie. I've only really seen Spirit more used for GA/TW than in raid.

12. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Talzin, Daka and Asajj are all G12 with zeta. So yeah deathstorm for P3 with same team as you with woefully downgeared initiate. Was hoping to use Spirit in P4 under Asajj for extra TM removal in place of Talia.

NS are my arena team. They are easier to climb with than Troopers as I can jump from Bastilla/Rey teams to one another and htey are plentiful. Problem is drop like a bag of bricks overnight. I can do sub 100 but it's just too much hard work. so I'm happy to bounce around between 1000-250.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  13. OP
    OP
    Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

I'd recommend keeping Talia in instead, as the idea is to keep everyone topped off healthwise and take advantage of Asajj's zeta leader ability where you gain 50% TM when dropping below 100% health. I used to use Acolyte for DPS in P4 but was getting significantly higher scores once I switched to Talia instead. Also, Talia can clear stacks of Bonds of Weakness from Traya and also dispel the defense down debuff so that your guys can basic attack if needed!

14. OP
    OP
    Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Had my first go using Finn in HSTR post Zeta nerf... I don't have C3PO so the changes to his other abilities were what interested me. With very average mods and at G11 without C3PO I was able to do the following in P1:

Screenshot_20190330-202306.jpg

This just means he has a heap more potential!!

15. sjhupp

sjhupp Member

Anyone still playing this? I'm in a casual Aus guild (~45M with 30-35 active), but we struggle for numbers to get into TW, and still T5/T6 in sith raid.
    If anyone knows of any other smaller guilds would love to pass on the guild leader details, as a merge may get us into some more content.
    Bit of a bummer missing TW all the time :(

16. OP
    OP
    Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Definitely still playing sjhupp ! Ours is 114m GP at the moment and we're looking forward to trying out the new Geonosian TB. It's most likely gonna smash us and we're not expecting a lot since they are recommending 140-150m guilds have a go at it, but you never know unless you give it a go!

We're pretty successful with our TWs and have all heroic raids on farm. We don't have 30-35 free slots though lol, but shoot me a message and we can chat mate

17. Calindor

Calindor Member

We're not that far along as Pbx's guild. We're a casual guild too, about 70m GP, level 71+ and pretty active roster. (Just checked, guy who has been away longest is 6 days. Next has been away a day and a half.)

Getting into TW regularly now, and winning or losing usually depends on whether the game matches us up with guilds +20m GP on us or not. Have people working on JKR and RJT, a few C-3POs and one Dr. Evan.

Working on having enough Hans in the guild to sim the Heroic Pit raid, and starting to look at what we need for HSTR.

18. sjhupp

sjhupp Member

You guys are lucky then. Hopefully we can find a few more numbers to get us in to TW. Got in once and cleared their map, but since then always a few short to get in. Trying to find other guilds with 20-30 members and merge up so we can hit more content. Slow going though.
    Perhaps a good reason to have a break from the game for a little while.

19. OP
    OP
    Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

So... we got our first star in Geo TB so far! haha

This thing is smashing us pretty hard though. The platoons are hard to fill as there are Darth Trayas in the mix there, and after that they take up most of your good characters, making the combat missions a fair bit harder. The special separatist mission is ridiculous... I didn't even get through the first wave with my G9/10 Geos + G11 Dooku :lol:

20. sjhupp

sjhupp Member

Heard it's pretty brutal. Think 80M is just enough to have a look :)
    I'm working on separatists for Padme, not unlocked her yet.