1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: Squadrons

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by gtarmanrob, Jun 13, 2020.

1. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Thats just standard video game practice for every game. Its very rare that someone is immune to it which is why video gaming is in such a bad state.

But I have to admit, VR and Joystick support make me very interested in this game, but I won't be buying until a day after its on Steam, the only real place to see reviews these days.

2. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I'm not. I won't pre-order. I probably won't buy it at full price unless it turns out to be spectacular, which I doubt. I have been wanting a new Xwing v Tie Fighter type game for a long time though.

3. OP
    OP
    gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Yeah a lot of it looks fantastic to me. I agree on the shield effects and missile trails, can obviously see why they would include them but did look bit silly for Star wars

Can definitely tell the flight model is typical fly by wire style, but if the whole game is that pace would be more beneficial as a whole anyway

Im pretty excited still, dont see any real issue pre ordering for $50 when theres a good chance gonna play it on day 1 anyway. i dont give a fuck about this "dont pre-order" bs. if i want something im gonna get it, whenever i choose, if i choose

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  4. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Hmm "Gameplay" seems suspect or unfinished for a release in 3 months, All the shown cockpit shots fly like ships are on rails and there are no targeting reticles for aiming?
    The $50 AUD price seems low for an SW IP game, not a good sign content wise.

5. OP
    OP
    gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Yeah thats what i've voiced my worry over, and still do worry. The low price tag. Especially when it has 'Star Wars' in the title and 'EA' on the box. AND they claim no micro transactions. That doesnt rule out periodic over priced DLC...which is what im kinda expecting

And that on the rails thing is what i meant by 'fly by wire' yeah definitely noticed that. I read somewhere once that with flight sim games that is usually what it means. Or something like that. Essentially means that space combat is treated the same as if you were flying a plane in atmosphere. Can stop on a dime/feel drag etc. Which is obviously a non-factor in space

6. RnR

RnR Member

Because Star Citizen is not out yet...

20c pay to win....

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Agg likes this.
  7. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Game play!! Looks good!!

walker_2003 likes this.
  8. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

Looks like the HUD in the trailer I just watched, even had the tie fighter in block writing on the console in case you forgot what ship you're in.

Is it me or the HUD is blocking more of the view? I can't see shit.

9. OP
    OP
    gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Yeah im wondering if they will have a canopy-less cockpit camera like the older games did. Just so can see more. Detailed cockpit is nice but isn't for everyone, especially if the gameplay wants to maintain high pace

10. OP
    OP
    gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Haha cheers mate but already been shared and is in the OP

Also found this. Really interesting read, even covers some questions raised here like why no crosshairs in the gameplay. Apparently is an actual design feature

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/amp/star...-ea-finally-understands-what-pc-players-want/

Dunno about the whole "this is the next Star Wars sim like X-Wing and TIE Fighter"... that remains to be seen. Still sounding promising for something with a genuine feel, fingers crossed

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  11. boneburner

boneburner Member

I cant help but look at those cockpits and think they take up WAY too much visible screen space. Like peering down the bonnet of a very long car with the seat set too low :p

12. OP
    OP
    gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

imo if they are dumb enough to have that as the ONLY option for "immersion", a new view will get patched in pretty quick. I cant see many people loving it that way for the entire game, surely. Not if they wanna appeal to the entire audience.

Like ok on the A-Wing wasnt too bad based off that short footage, definitely that low car seat feeling as you said hahaha. But the TIEs are really crowded...

Even old Rogue Squadron had a cockpit cam, and that allowed to turn the canopy off if i remember correctly. Just had guages/radar and necessary HUD. The old X-Wing/TIE games definitely had it as an option. I used to add the full canopy/cockpit in if i wanted to increase the challenge a little for myself and/or give a bit more immersion

13. The Beast

The Beast Member

• Full VR support (PC and PS)
    • HOTAS support
    • Cross Play
    • First Person only
    • Single Player options
    • Modeled on WWII aerial combat for 'feel'.
    This is ticking so many boxes my Star Wars fan brain can barely handle it.

There is no way normal gameplay is going to be on rails. I expect what you guys are seeing here is very 'smooth' flying that might seem scripted, but is actually probably only done that way for the trailer so viewers can follow along (and not get sick).

With joystick/HOTAS support I fully expect this game to have direct control in 6DOF. In fact, I captured a gif of a section in a Tie Interceptor that I think pretty much confirms it.

[​IMG]

The cockpit designs seem pretty true to the in universe ships, with maybe a few liberties to add radar and scanner screens. The "Tie Fighter" text you were referring to wasn't to remind you what ship you're in (this is actually an A-Wing), rather it shows you what you have locked or in view. You can see the locked target white boxed on the radar, off to the left (probably out of view at the 7 or 8 o'clock position).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm really hoping they don't have an invisible cockpit mode (at least for multiplayer). Part of the charm has always been the difference in visibility between the different ships, and definitely plays into their strengths and advantages. Tie fighters should be more nimble than X-Wings, but the latter has much better visibility. VR users might actually have a genuine advantage here!

Have a look at at some of the difference in visibility... a Tie Fighter literally can't see out the side and will have to rely on sensors.

Tie Fighter

[​IMG]

X-Wing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tie Reaper

[​IMG]

A-Wing

[​IMG]

This is going to be amazing in VR, I cannot wait!

There will definitely be crosshairs. The interview you're talking about said there wouldn't be a "leading reticle" which means it won't give you predictive aiming based on the target's current vector, you have to eyeball it and figure it out for yourself. That doesn't mean you won't have a static crosshair, I'm sure I read that they only turned off crosshairs for the trailer.

Agg, DangerMaus and bart5986 like this.
  14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Trailer makes it look amazing :thumbup:

15. havabeer

havabeer Member

Its something E.A has learnt to perfect

16. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Hopefully it's not a mockup like Anthem.

17. OP
    OP
    gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

The Beast

I really do hope your dream for the next star wars space sim is this, believe me I share it. We just have to wait and see. I definitely agree with what you said regarding the cockpit/camera view, on a personal level. As a whole though Im jsut not sure it would work..not if they want a game that engages a broad audience for longevity.

Im kinda seeing this as the Ace Combat of Star Wars I guess. Not a bad thing at all. Still not sure if its gonna be that XvT successor I dream of

18. The Beast

The Beast Member

Pretty encouraging words here:

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/0...-have-microtranactions-and-isnt-a-living-game

"Our mindset has been very old school," Frazier says. "We're trying to say with this game that we have a $40 price point, we want to feel generous to players, and we want it to feel like a complete experience. Like 'You gave us your $40. Here's a game that you will love. Thank you.' That's it. This isn't something we are building around a live-service strategy. It's built around a game that is complete and great in its own right. That's not to say we will never add anything, I guess we could, but it's not presented as a live service."

I’m also shocked a $40 USD game is only $50 AUD on Steam. Seems like a no brainer at this point!

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Possibly the most important part of the sales regime :leet:

20. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

This looks like it's going to be easy to play, hard to master. Big skill ceiling which is nice. Some crazy moves you can pull.

gtarmanrob likes this.