STAR WARS - The Old Republic (Please read first post!)

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Harper:ToV, Oct 23, 2008.

1. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

Any news on this, ive lost what was going on with it. Will be buying a new pc at some point and this would be nice to play :)

2. r8response

r8response Member

Mid to late 2011 at the earliest

3. FuzzY

FuzzY Member

Their target release is still Spring 2011, which would mean March-May 2011. If they stick to that schedule, I'd guess that beta would start at the end of this year.

4. .Spada.

.Spada. Member

Are they taking so long because of the story itself? I mean, since it's BioWare we're talking about, I wouldn't be surprised.

5. FiShy

FiShy Member

Most mmo's take years to make..

6. Ballza

Ballza Member

Some of the new gameplay trailers at E3 were a-ok.

Hoping this MMO gets me back into them, burnt out on WoW and can't find a replacement, it's either this or maybe TERA, that's different too.

7. VeeK

VeeK Member

I'll probably be giving this a shot. Haven't played an MMO since I quit WoW in 2006!

As a gamer, star wars & bioware fan, it's just too hard to resist :rolleyes:

8. Lucifers Mentor

Lucifers Mentor Member

9. flinchy

flinchy Member

10. Killing Time

Killing Time Member

There's a new Co-op instance type video up, looks good but seems a bit bland. The character models look awsome though, and the idea's are good

11. SiCo

SiCo Member

I don't want to be lazy but got a link? *googles*

12. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/e3-multiplayer-demo

"The Trooper is going to be the main tank. He's going to keep focus on the main enemy."
    "Jedi Knight is going to be doing a lot of melee damage on secondary enemies while the trooper is on the main enemy."
    "Consular... her job is to keep the trooper alive. If she makes a mistake, everyone's done for.."

You have got to be shitting me... The Trooper is going to be stronger than the Jedi!!?!?!?! And if the Trooper falls, so does the Jedi?!!?!

WHATTHEFUCKISTHISSHIT!?!?!?

Edit: Okay, it turns out to be low level multiplayer gameplay, so safe to assume both Jedis don't have developed powers.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  13. .Spada.

.Spada. Member

I don't think it's going to be like that. It would be pretty shitty if the Jedi could just take on the whole f'n army.

14. r8response

r8response Member

I watched the video and was completely and utterly underwhelmed.

I was hoping that it would move away from the old school Tank/DPS/Healer groups and try something new.

Its just another EQ/EQ2/WoW button mash clone :upset:

15. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I'm not saying for a Jedi to be able to solo everything, more rather just concerned about the power and importance degradation that the role is going to suffer. The video portrays the Jedi as an everyday-man.

16. .Spada.

.Spada. Member

Pwah. We'll just have to wait and see how this turns out. Because I have no clue what is going on with that MMO. Guess they're trying to balance everything out, although I would THINK that the Jedi would be able to handle themselves at least a bit.

17. Yeti_Skinner

Yeti_Skinner Member

I think they are trying to make it that every class can fill every role and that they are reasonably balanced. I mean you could think of it like in WoW terms to there are paladins (say Jedi Knight) and death knights (say Sith Inquisitor) but they aren't all like Tirion and Arthas in power.

I know it would be awesome to have Jedi that were that powerful but it really wouldn't make for a good game. You would basically have no choice but to make that class or you would suck.

18. flinchy

flinchy Member

so basically... all the jedi knights in this game are the reject dropouts?

awesome I REALLY wanna be a reject jedi, woohoooooo

19. Moklaw

Moklaw Member

Really? Wow...some of you guys have zero imagination and/or knowledge of the setting for TOR.

If there are tens of thousands of Jedi and Sith running around they're hardly all going to be as powerful as Luke or Vader. No planet would remain intact.
    The Sith pretty much kept themselves in check (number 2 always knocking off number 1 most powerful) and the Jedi just weren't all that developed. Yoda/Obi/Mace level of training/advancement/order don't develop for a few thousand more years.

That and it'd be no fun to play if everyone had to be Jedi or Sith

20. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Tank, Heals, Dps... sounds like another cookie cutter holy trinity MMO to me.