STAR WARS - The Old Republic (Please read first post!)

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Harper:ToV, Oct 23, 2008.

1. SamBoio

SamBoio Member

I found the smuggler to be the most fun to play.
    Also tried the trooper, BH and Sith Warrior.
    Found the BH to be sort of interesting, but the character himself was boring and the storyline was just pretty much kill everything and get money and weapons.
    The smuggler story was awesome. I found the character to be interesting and amusing. I love how you have the flirting options. Didn't get this feel with the other classes I played.
    Didn't get any of them past level 5 as my time playing was limited and I wanted to see as much of the classes as I could.

Seems like a decent game. I really really really hate the whole highlighting of the border around every NPC and enemy etc. Not sure if you can turn that off or not. To me, it still felt unpolished and not quite ready for release. I doubt it will be a WoW killer, but the storyline side of it was excellent and if enough people want the game for that aspect (kind of defeats the purpose of an MMO though, to play alone) then it may have a chance to stick around for a while.

2. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Level 11 Imperial Operative
    Level 17 Sith Juggernaut
    Level 11 Sith Sorcorer
    Level 9 Republic Trooper

Fun times :)

3. Carbyfed

Carbyfed Member

any pvp guilds getting ready?

don't really mind which side either...

me and a mate wanna join up if we can.. =)

4. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

I think im going to stay away from pvp in this one... the netcode seems much less forgiving for us, wrt positioning, than WoW... Its only BG's anyway, so zeroskill = zzzzzzz

5. Carbyfed

Carbyfed Member

sorry should re-phrase... i don't pvp much at all but i generally will prefer a pvp server... adds variety for me lol

6. Oosh

Oosh Member

That was surprisingly powerful, to the point in one-on-one fights it was a often a better option to charge in rather than hang back in cover.
    I would tend to agree the Smuggler story was probably the best out of the three I played, but as BH you could flirt, it was with Nemro the Hutt's accountant/assistant.

7. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

I joined my first PVP match yesterday. 2 minutes in, after 3 of us cap the left most AA battery, I'm stun-locked and dead :(. Turned me off PVP completely.

I went through my first flashpoint yesterday as well, The Esseles. Most fun I've had in a dungeon in a long time, the VA adds a lot to your motivation to do something. I want to do fedex quests/collect bear asses/kill mobs with my boy Qyzen.

However, I'm still torn on whether I should pre-order or not.

Did anyone notice the "laggy" background animations on NPCs (100m+away)? Like they're missing a few frames of animation or something. Is this common in MMOs? I never noticed it in WoW/random MMOs.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Has anyone played both male and female troopers?

9. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

I was in a group with a female trooper yesterday :tongue:. The VA (Jennifer Hale from ME?) was pretty good.

10. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

I've played the female trooper to lvl 19 and the voice acting is excellent. I was actually planning on playing a male trooper but i'm really torn now. I might have to try out a male trooper to see which one has better voice acting.

Does anyone know when the beta ends Australian time?

11. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

I've just noticed... the spelling in this thread's title has been corrected!

12. cjmonkey

cjmonkey Member

surely it's finished by now?

13. Tyrial

Tyrial Member

I would be interested in knowing this as well.

14. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

I remember reading somewhere it was finishing this afternoon some time.

15. Calindor

Calindor Member

I played a Smuggler to level 17. Got my ship. It's the same ship as was in Knights of the Old Republic.

Loved the option for the Smuggler to practically hit on every female NPC - I played a male Zabrak.

Warehouse lackeys, religious fanatics, senators. Race didn't seem to matter. Was a laugh.

If you think of the Cover system to be similar to how Warrior stances worked in WoW, it makes more sense. There are abilities that can only be used from Cover, and others that could be used from either. The roll-through-to-cover animation was pretty cool.

Was posted earlier that the beta finishes at November 28, 11:59PM CST.

That makes it November 29, 3:59PM AEST. (Qld)

16. pantner

pantner Member

I finished up last night, played a councillor and got to lvl 18 and onto Taris (??)

I quite liked ship combat, even though it was so linear.

I loved the first ship battle where you have to protect the transport and a star destroyer appears from hyperspace infront of you!

What does the "flirt" option do for you when in convos? is that a skill like using force pursuade?

I really like the way the crafting/gathering worked. Being able to send my 2 conpanions on missions while im blowing up imperial interceptors was great

17. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

Especially when you'd roll 30 feet away into cover in a single bound :)

18. MoorKhan

MoorKhan Member

I levelled to ~18 on the first day of beta access and I thought the ship combat was quite good fun as well - I stopped a little bit after this because I didn't want to spoil any more.

I did the 3 ship missions around coruscant with no upgrades, then went and bought the tier 1 upgrades for most of the ship slots (some weren't available yet). I found once I upgraded its guns, shields, shield regen, missiles and armour completing the missions became exceedingly easy.

I got enough ship tokens to buy a green lockbox and got some level 50 green heavy pants out of it (not that useful, but still pretty good for level 18). It didn't look like it would take that much effort to get the epic quality lockbox either.

I agree that the crew missions are a neat idea, sending them off on missions then running a shipcombat sequence or doing some trading while their away worked really well.

19. Draethz

Draethz Member

Why did they have to make your Valour Rank tied with your level? Why?!

20. r8response

r8response Member

The space combat bored the crap out of me. It's an MMO ffs. I want some freedom in my movement, not some shitty on rails shooter.