STAR WARS - The Old Republic (Please read first post!)

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Harper:ToV, Oct 23, 2008.

1. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Its only really meant to be a mini game. Not a main storyline point. If you take it for what it is its quite fun.

I figured out the hard way that you actually have to steer out of the way of things. Managed to blow up my ship on the 1st mission i ever flew in it by running into a chunck of ice. :lol: :leet:

2. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

The crew missions sound exactly like training assassins in Ass Creed Brotherhood... I would send all my assassin's out on missions with 100% completion odds and then I'd do something else like cook dinner or watch TV, then switch back within about 3 hours I had all my assassin's at max level :)

3. VenomousDesigns

VenomousDesigns Member

I know I've come to the party late (compared to my previous WoW/D3 pre-orders) but after playing during the Beta weekend, and with the due date for D3 pushed back thinking of purchasing SWTOR. I no CE is out of the question, but the current options that I see available to us Australian's is:

1. Pre-order via Amazon (around $80 including shipping) and hope to god, with the XMas period, we receive the physical game before the 'grace period' ends.

2. Seen a few people suggest g2play - can anyone confirm they are getting 'early access' keys? I know they say they are selling it with early access, but reality is always different.

3. Anyone successfully ordered through Origin with a US IP and Aus CC?

Anything I missed/ideas?

VD

4. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

I can confirm if you can get a US IP Origin will work with an Aus CC.... however the swtor.com isn't currently working when you try to redeem codes anyway, so I can't even register for my early access which is a pain in the ass.... and their support still hasn't replied to me email.

5. VenomousDesigns

VenomousDesigns Member

Keep me posted mate - Amazon is looking the 'safest' option atm...

6. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

I think no matter where you buy it swtor.com won't accept your code cause it's a current issue with their website.

7. Draethz

Draethz Member

Well I have a test tomorrow to study for so the beta is finally over for me. Time for the good and bad as I saw it.

Good
    -Combat is smooth.
    -Quests have context (even though I skipped almost every cutscene).
    -PvP is excellent if you like the BG system.
    -Classes seem pretty varied, which is good for the long run.

Bad
    -While combat is smooth, it is all based on the animation for when things happen. This can be annoying sometimes.
    -Void Star is a horrible peice of shit warzone.
    -Valor Rank is capped at your level.
    -Healing seems weak, though that may be just low levels. However the PvP medal for healing was landing a 1.5k heal while the damage medal was a 2.5k hit.
    -While quests have context, they are the same as every other MMO.
    -Changing planets is a chore, it is really annoying.
    -Finding the talent respec guy was an effort.
    -The omnipotent, omniscient dead pixel.

Undecided
    -Space combat. I only did one mission which I failed. If you don't have to do it I probably won't.
    -PvP item box lottery. While I did get some items useful to me mainly I got things for other people. Undecided on this as the boxes can contain epics but just don't bet on them being for you.
    -Crafting. I'm not much of a crafter so I didn't really test this out at all.
    -Flashpoints. The two I did were so easy it wasn't funny. Heroic 2 quests were harder then them. Hopefully they get some balls in the later levels.
    -The buffing system in warzones. As I gained levels I did less and less damage and had less and less HP in warzones as I was buffed less then lower level people. This will be fine as long as there is a level 50 only bracket at release.

Overall I would say the game is very enjoyable if you liked Vanilla / BC WoW. It is impossible to not compare it to it as there are infinite similarities. I will be playing on release for sure.

As a note, all of the above is about only content up to about level 16. While I was level 24 I was actually...3 planets behind in questing due to PvPing. As we all know a MMO is only as good as its endgame which I did not get to test.

Finally, a waggling of my e-peen.
    http://imgur.com/a/buRyY

8. Everlong

Everlong Member

Yeh I really enjoyed it, now just waiting on release. Played a Jedi to 19, and a few classes to 4/5 to get a feel. Nice and varied classes, I can see myself rolling some alts.

Draethz I noticed in BG's they had a booster stat to level the playing field, maybe this was messing with your numbers? Warhammer did this for lvling BGs worked ok.

I thought the game was really polished and had no significant problems. Was getting 90-110 fps on max with average shadows. Main problems were not being able to loot (which you could fix by sitting down/standing up), objectives would sometimes disappear from the main map, a logout/in would be needed to fix that.

Played a lvl18 flashpoint on Tanis, that definitely will need a proper group to clear it. We tried to zerg it with 3 dps and a healer and got cleaned up a few times and didn't finish.

Agree that swapping planets with your ship was a chore, but hopefully won't have to do it a lot during a play session.

9. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

One thing I never tried, but would help with the world travel: Can you recall/hearth to your ship?

10. Draethz

Draethz Member

No. You can quick travel to outside the space ports. From there its run to elevator (black screen, which I assume will be a cutscene later), click on ships door (cutscene), run through ship to click on galaxy map, select where you want to go (cutscene) and then the reverse of this.

It is really bad.

It is a little different to Warhammer as warhammer had brackets. As it stands now, TOR only has one bracket so that level 10 people fight level 50 people. There were a few games where I had to go against high 30's people and besides them having a few more skills / talent points they still had less HP and did less damage then I did because the boost was too much for low level people. Like I said though as long as they put in a level 50 bracket with no boosting of any kind it will be fine.

11. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Damn you swtor site being down, i demand nothing less than 100% uptime. /wrists.

:lol:

12. The_Wookie

The_Wookie Member

Amazon ftw. You order, they email you the early access key immediately, and then, god willing, you go register it straight away. Theory is that the earlier its registered the earlier you get in - up to 5 days.

Its understood that early access is a downloaded version of the game, which should still be available to users in Australia with the code.

13. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

I'm this > < close to pre-ordering. Should I should I should I :tired:

Ahhh #fwp

Edit; Payment authorization failed :(. Guess my CC won't work on Origin. Amazon is too expensive (incl. shipping), so I have to hold off :(.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  14. Khanage

Khanage Member

Redeemed my pre-order code at swtor.com this morning with no issues and SWTOR now appears in my origin client. So looks like ea may have sorted the code redeeming issues they were having.

15. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

ugh, I tried again and I'm still getting the error. This must be to do with my cancelled pre-order from July, the product code is still listed in my Origin account from July.

Going to try contact EA support... a dreadful and nightmarish task, I doubt they'll be helpful.

edit: I'm just hoping while EA support are poking around in my account they don't reclaim the 10 games I stole from their glitch last week :(

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  16. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Ok here is the deal.

I want the SWTOR Digital Deluxe package.
    I got a US proxy and can get to the purchase product section of the Origin website.

The problem is i cant use my credit card.
    It seems they do a similar thing to Steam where they check the credit cards address against the details i put in (a fake US address)

Anyone able to help me out here with a tip to get past this using my credit card?

I really want the digital deluxe one.
    if not i might have to settle with the standard one from Amazon :(

17. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

Put your real address, just a different state and zipcode. That worked fine for me.

I had EA support remove my old pre-order code from my account but that didn't fix my "Message not found" error on swtor.com.... Now to wait for Bioware support to get back to me, 48 hours and 2 tickets later, nothing!

I'm probably going to create new tickets every 24 hours until they at least acknowledge my problem.

18. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Badass!
    Will give it a go tonight :D

19. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

pre-ordered and registered.. any idea when we can expect to be able to download the game client?

20. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

It's been confirmed that you can upgrade the Beta client to retail release

I would also say soon, as the early access is available starting December 15.