Starcraft 2 (Wiki in OP)

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by gruntLOL, Jul 26, 2010.

1. OP
    OP
    gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

Please. I find that I always fail with my tanks, and I (sort of intentionally) sacked a lot of units to tanks / his BC's because I could afford to throw them away and just wanted to break his position.

Tried to be as mobile as I could as well but it seems the only real problems I am having at the moment are TvT (tank fail generally) and TvZ when they open roaches (I never have enough marauders).

2. scon

scon Member

Are you focusing fire or just attack moving?

3. stringthis

stringthis Member

Ok,

I think overall you play pretty solid for someone without much rts experience(I think i remember you saying this at some point). I'm sure you will be diamond in no time =D

Other than at the start of the game i think it is a bit questionable to get so many marines, they really don't do anything against a lot of tanks. If it was mostly a viking fight and you were getting them to spend extra minerals i guess they are more ok. Marauders are quite good against tanks though.

You also had a huge window of opportunity after you broke down the rocks at his backdoor, instead of just walking in the back you tried to take on the front where there were tanks and a bunker and then later on tried cute things like dropping with medivacs when you could have just walked in and won the game quite easily.

Last thing is i felt like you stopped making scvs a bit too early. You only made about 35 all game, even after you made your expansions you didn't really make any more. I guess you will get more comfortable with this as you play more though.

4. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Is it just me or the higher in rank you go the shittier and cheesier the games become? Im honestly sick of zerg players and anyone who says that zerg needs a buff is playing the race wrong.

Early in the game playing as terran theres pretty much nothing you can do against multalisk spam. Zerg can just pump them out way to early in the game. Marines dont work as there to slow to move around and chase, turrets take to long to get up and by then your on the back foot, vikings dont stand a chance and even if you tech straight to air it will be to late. Even if your marines manage to take out one or two muta's they fly them off map then attack a different part of your base (usually your SCV's).

The only strat that seems to work early on is pumping out marines and marauders and rushing them. Usually you can beat them with an early well times rush. Other than that im yet to come accross a decent strategy that can counter early muta spam :thumbdn:

5. Dano.

Dano. Member

Turrets take too long to get up? O_O

Engineer > Turret vs Lair > Spire > Muta?

I hardly think muta harass is cheese.

6. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

I meant it takes to long to get a few up to have any impact. Not only that because its early in the game where are you getting all this coin from? You build mass turrets your leaving yourself wide open for a ground attack.

And yes, muta spam is cheese.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  7. Mikos

Mikos Member

Just did the 1v2 insane AI achievement. Epic cannon rush ftw. I think the key was forcing them to be Protoss so that even with their mineral hacks it was a set amount of time before they could get units out. I also discovered after a couple tries you don't need to rush them, just cannon contain them to their initial base. Slowly but surely you will win :D

It's a lame way to get the achievement but I'm pretty sure there is no other way. 5/6 pool won't work due to how quick they can get units out with so many resources, bunker rush will take too long too. I was considering putting them as zerg and doing a spine crawler build in their base, but pretty sure that will take too long too as they'll be able to get their pool up very quickly.

EDIT: Other important things I think were making room to expand to the gold, and then once that was running for a little bit expand again to the other gold for super minerals.

8. Iro

Iro Member

I don't think it is possible to have "early" "Muta" and "spam" in the same sentence.

If you dont ever scout their base during Lair tech or the really long build time of the spire you probably deserve to get taken out by Mutalisks. Extractor before spawning pool on one base Zerg is a pretty likely sign he is going to get Mutalisks as after Zergling speed that's a lot of floating gas.

Turrets are actually really good in SC2 compared to SC1 and one can hold off an early say 3-4 muta harrass on a mineral line given good placement.

9. taffer

taffer Member

HOORAY FOR ME. I finally made gold :D :D

10. Randy_Chuggs

Randy_Chuggs (Banned or Deleted)

I'm gonna stop playing Protoss for a while, move down a bit. I'm tired of Platinum, every game feels the exact same.

11. stringthis

stringthis Member

I managed to beat the insane 2v1 and very hard 4v1 without cannon rushing. Just did the opposite, mass cannon in my base until i could get carriers. I found the 4v1 much much harder as you don't get the epic map of twilight council.

Also whats with everyone calling all these things cheese that aren't cheese? just because someone does something that isn't attacking you head on doesn't make it cheese. Mutas are in no way cheese.

12. redw0lf

redw0lf Member

Mutas do very little damage to buildings. If they commit hard to mutas (+10) then you can usually basetrade much faster with whatever force you have.
    (Although same can't be said for void rays, they tear buildings apart)

13. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Pretty much every ground unit that can hit air will smash mutas. They're pretty poo. I only like them for their harrassing/map control potential or if they're getting an army heavy in units that can't hit air.

14. Comma

Comma Member

You scout the spire. Then apply damage to their face when they send mutas out...

15. Kaji

Kaji Member

Diary of a Zergling

Day 1

I just got spawned! There was another guy in my egg, though. Not too sure what to think about that. The creep looks pretty cool, I guess. My job is mostly running around the base. Nothing too awesome going on.

Day 2

A whole mess of Zerglings just got spawned recently. Met up with a whole platoon of them. There were so many I couldn't even remember all their names. Most of them are pretty cool, but some are suspicious as to what our purpose is going to be.

Day 3

The queen sent Zergling #21 to a 'watchtower'. Not entirely sure what his job is. According to other people, he just has to stand there all day. Sounds like he got the easy job!

Day 3.5

Zergling #21's corpse was found about 3 minutes after being deployed. He had 5 Gauss Rifle bullets in his chest.

The queen sent Zerglings #22-24 to go to the watchtower.

Day 4

There was much lament for Zergling #21. Some of my friends are saying that we're all in a suicide mission. I think they're wrong. We're soldiers, not expendable beasts.

Day 6

Day 5 was too hectic...there were six more funerals today. The queen declared she wanted some 'scouting information' and that they served their purpose. More skeptics are arising amongst us. Some zerglings are speaking of a revolt.

Day 7

We all got our wings today! Everyone's suspicions of a tyranny are being quelled by the minute. All the zerglings are much more pleased to be moving so much faster.

Day 8

Our entire army has recently received orders to rush into the enemies' base. Our primary objective is to attack SCVs and run around in circles behind other zerglings attacking SCVs.

Day 11

There was a wall.

There was a god damn wall.

We couldn't break through. No matter how many chewed at the supply depot, we couldn't get through the damned thing. We were forced to retreat, losing 7 more soldiers to a small marine force piled behind the depots. The queen had no comment on this matter. The standard funeral is now being postponed by the swarm for 'important measures'.

Day 15

Mutalisks have begun to be trained at the hatchery. Our queen says they will solve the problem that the wall is causing. I can only hope at this point. I've seen too much.

Day 16

We've gotten recent orders to back up the mutalisk force in our impending attack. Our main goal is still hazy to me, as the mutalisks should be doing most of the work...

Day 21

I've lost all faith in the swarm.

Have you ever seen the bits of your comrades fly past you by a single shot of a Crucio Shock Cannon? Have you ever been so close to the heat of an Hellion that it takes you a minute to realize that your best friend is burning alive? I was hearing every tendon snapping and sinew ripping of my fellow Zerglings. The distorted looks on their faces as they realize they've been hit directly in the skull by a sniper round.

I barely escaped. I should be dead; just like the rest of my platoon. It was only me and 6 others that got away. Over 38 died.

We weren't an army. We were a distraction. The mutalisks were in on it, too. They took out probably 10, maybe 20 SCVs. But how many soldiers was it worth? How much do we have to sacrifice to win this war?!

Day 23

We can see the Terran forces coming over the horizon. They are armed with 2 of those infernal tanks and 4 gigantic mechanical monstrosities I've never seen before. I can taste my death.

Day 34

The Terran are toying with us. The tanks lie just outside of our homeland supported by rotating missile turrets in every which way. We are being contained. Our supplies are running low, we will be out of minerals soon.

Day 47

We have lost all of our resources. An army of Hydralisks and Mutalisks stand before me and my 6 Zergling companions. Our final attack is near.

Day 48

The queen has ordered me to 'test the front'. Alone.

Diary of a Siege Tank

Day 48

Spilled some coffee on myself during an attack. My life sucks.

16. mtw

mtw Member

I was averaging 4m4s games as protoss, cannon rushing. But when I did that achievement I did it as zerg.

Do it as ZvZ. 8 pool (Which brings u down to 7 drones). Spawn 3 lings and send them plus all ur drones over once ur at 300 minerals (Should be about the same time as the lings finish). Build 3 crawlers, and use ur left over drones and lings to take out their spawning pool, then queen. Use the crawlers to attack the hatchery. It should gg at ~4:40 at the latest.

17. Mikos

Mikos Member

I did it against insane AI with a cannon rush. It GG'd really quickly though, was awesome I didn't even kill nexus :D

18. flinchy

flinchy Member

how?

even very hard completely surrounds my probe as soon as it sees it.

19. misc.

misc. Member

you need to build a bit away from their base.

so send one of your starting probes, make sure you are well away from their base, as a rough guide you want to have it about as far away as 2-3 times the range of the pylon.

That way when ur first cannon comes out it still wont be in range, but you can build a pylon right next to it that will have their base in range and start spamming cannons. gg. They usually surrender once they have lost a lot of worker units.

Its the easiest vs terran.

20. Dano.

Dano. Member

Don't build too close to them. You need to be beyond a certain distance (maybe sight) and they won't attack. Pylon > Forge > Cannon, then gradually cannon closer and closer. :)

@Kaji - Kewl story bro. Last line made me chuckle.