Starcraft 2 (Wiki in OP)

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by gruntLOL, Jul 26, 2010.

1. OP
    OP
    gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

I'm wanting to move to Random. I'm getting sick of just playing terran that and I'm getting sick of people telling me I'm only good because I am terran, so might take you up on that offer. Can't wait till NA access so I can trash my stats on a different server.

2. Randy_Chuggs

Randy_Chuggs (Banned or Deleted)

Haha, I've started destroying my stats on this server. On NA I might play Toss until I can play Random on SEA.

3. Comma

Comma Member

I guess I play Terran due to my change in Zerg Structure from Starcraft. Plus also Terran highly adhere to the "Traditional" style of play that has always existed in War3/Starcraft...

4. mtw

mtw Member

I've gone the opposite way Grunt, I've gone from random for everything - to Zerg in 1's and 2's, random for 3's and 4's.

5. nathanblogs

nathanblogs Member

Yeah basically I was harassing them all game after I got mutas, and got 4 or 5 expansions then was teching and got ultras + ling instant 200 spawns, I always double hatch + queen, you have to :p.

but gas is such a problem for zerg, they need to lower the gas on some units or something, its crazy I can often end a game with 8k minerals and zero gas.

I'm probably just doing it wrong, I've only played like 30 games :p.

And F**K i hate terran, everuyone goes them, everyone just blocks themselves in, its so lame ( I can't ling rush!, even 6 pool :( )

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  6. Comma

Comma Member

If you have 8k Minerals, can;t you just pump out more Hatch's and have them permaling for support

7. Joehax

Joehax Member

Can you play on NA servers yet?

8. nathanblogs

nathanblogs Member

I do, but spamming lings destorys your ability to quickly spam a higher tier unit due to not having lava.

9. Dano.

Dano. Member

Finally finished all the SP achievements! :D

Now time to move onto MP, if anyone's up for some 1v1 practice - add me. I don't mind what race, and I can play whatever race you want to practice against. Although I think I'll main zerg for the ladder, BANELINGS FTW!!!!

Probably be on tonight, 8ish.

10. Comma

Comma Member

If you send an extra 3 drones somewhere to build an extra 3 hatcheries, etc, purely to mineral dump lings, rather than for your core units...

Like i always crank out some spare marines from a pair of Barracks I have handy due to tech swap.

11. Loey

Loey Member

if i buy a digital copy, can i use my friends disc to install the game and the digital serial to register the game? i dont have enough bandwith to download it

12. LINUX

LINUX Member

Yes. The DVD has no CD key/activation/etc. It just installes the full game data. The copy protection is that you need to login when the game starts. Purchasing the digital version from battle.net connects a valid key with your b.net login, allowing you to play the game.

13. Loey

Loey Member

sweet thanks

14. Iro

Iro Member

It's more so that you can't keep up with the larvae production. Zerg unit production is bursty. If you are a two base Protoss running on say 6 Warpgates you could keep your minerals and gas low just by maintaining constant unit production. As a zerg though on two base you are going to have probably 2-3 Hatcheries and periods of time where you have no larvae so your minerals and stockpile.

It's also the reason I have found you hit your supply cap so irregularly as Zerg because your production isn't consistent.

I'd say it will be pretty common to get a secon hatch at your natural these days if you don't fast expand.

15. Drunkmunky

Drunkmunky Member

Can anyone tell me the exact amount of time it takes for a single drone to pay itself off? I'm trying to work it out so I know when to pump drones and when to stop.

16. nathanblogs

nathanblogs Member

you always make drones, I normally end up with around 60 for a game.

17. LINUX

LINUX Member

It depends how you think about it. If they take x seconds to pay themselves off then you should keep building them until x seconds before the game ends.

Other than that there's not point in building more if there's already 3 for every gas+mineral field being harvested. However if you have too many you can saturate an expansion very rapidly.

And to answer you directly, here's a ballpark:

1 drone: 50 minerals
    1 drone on a single mineral field will collect (very roughly) 5 minerals every 10 seconds. This 10 second number is based on my memory of how long it takes to travel from base -> field, harvest then travel back and deposit.
    The payback time will then be 50 divided by <minerals harvested per second> in seconds.

Actually, lets get a custom game started and measure it.

Edit: 1min 2s for 1 drone to collect 50 minerals. This is collecting from the closest mineral patch, that time will increase when a) It's harvesting from a patch further away (assuming they're all not equidistant) and b) When there's more than 2 workers on one patch. 3 saturate, 2 is optimal in that there's zero "down time" when a worker is waiting for a free patch.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  18. iinsom

iinsom Member

Well if you wanna be technical, if a drone gets 5 minerals in a trip, it takes them 10 trips to pay themselves off :)

19. taffer

taffer Member

Screw that I'm never building scv's again

20. Drunkmunky

Drunkmunky Member

You don't always make drones or you wouldn't have any fighting force :rolleyes:

There is a trade off, which is why I'm asking the question. Making drones is always good yes but you need enough standing forces and/or larvae+econ to pump out defence when you're attacked.