1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Starcraft 2 (Wiki in OP)

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by gruntLOL, Jul 26, 2010.

1. WhatMACHI

WhatMACHI Member

Scout early and if u see their base bare with no gateways/rax when they should have one, then chances are they are doing a proxy. Have a build that has a relatively early rax, and as soon as you spot the proxy, just put down another rax (depending on your race).

It would probably help if u tell us what race you play...

2. Drunkmunky

Drunkmunky Member

My games have gone retarded, I used to be mega comfortable in my ZvP but I seem to be failing these days. If I don't win with my initial roach push I get kicked to the curb by their 4gate push 2mins later :(

My ZvZ is pretty woeful as well, I just don't know what I should be doing! I try various different builds but none of them seem very suitable for all the possible builds they can throw at me.

Also super obnoxious play I just copped, probe comes into my base and drops a pylon while my pool hasn't even started so I assume cheese and pull a few workers to take it out. Then he steals both my gas and runs away, rushes void rays and rapes me as I can't get any intel of what he's doing or get any gas quickly anyway...

3. Joehax

Joehax Member

Had 2 wins and 3 losses tonight.

Both wins were quite lucky (vs favored opponents too!), both times the other team had a 'non-scouted' army outside our base about to attack, and we had the same outside theirs. We just happened to attack first, forcing them to send their army back to defend.

Unfortunately, this is the only strategy that we can seem to execute and win with. If the enemy counters, we tend to lose :(

Replay if anyone wants to see, maybe offer some advise too. Obviously scouting is a big one!

http://www.mediafire.com/?1pl0nccrxrh9j04

PP vs PP everyone went 4gate lol.

4. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

He just dropped 250 (I think, not a P player) minerals to distract you.

If you try to kill these things with workers, you'll probably lose more than that in lost mining revenue.

On the other hand, if you'd immediately slapped down a pool, you'd have been left with the choice of:
    1) Try to win the game with lings - he's 250 minerals behind
    2) Pop a queen or two (air defense; larva; and can kill the assimilators quite easily) and play like normal.

Also note, your lack of gas also does not prevent you getting spore crawlers.
    It also doesn't prevent you scouting with a drone. He's probably not walled off yet, if he could drop 250 minerals on buildings in your base.

5. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

Anyone seen the new tatic?

In 2on2, one guy quits at the start, the other guy is Zerg, which means instant stream of zerglings.

Held off the initial rush, by block ramp as protoss, but partner got taken out.

I dont mind the cheesy tatics you see, like proxy gates, and proxy rax, reapers etc. This is one seems to take things too far.

6. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Not new, been happening for a while now and atm theres nothing you can do about it. Hope it gets patched soon!

7. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

Someone quitting at start isn't a good strat. There's no reason they can't manage their own workers etc, while sending minerals to the other race, thereby getting the same benefit, without the loss of one player's potential micro work.

Only thing it saves them, anyway, is the cost of building one spawning pool...

I'm pretty sure I've seen some arranged teams rush DTs by sending all their gas to one of the players. That's a bit nastier.

8. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

You cant send resource to your partner at the start for 5 minutes, (there is a good reason for that).

Also they get the ongoing revenue from their partners base, and with the zergs ability to fast spawn, it does cause alot of problems.

9. Iro

Iro Member

Try this build.

9 Overlord
    13 Pool
    15 Extractor
    15 Overlord
    Queen and 1 set of Zerglings when Spawning Pool pops (Kill scout!)
    20 Overlord
    Roach Warren when Queen is at 60-70%
    Inject as soon as Queen pops
    Roach Warren and new Larvae should pop at same time
    Rally 5 Roaches into their base
    Ling speed with next 100 Gas
    Drop NE Hatch when your Roaches push out

I've had lots of success with this. It's really only weak against a Terran who is psychic and dumps Marauders. If you see an aggressive two gate, 4-5RaxReaper you can use your 5 Roaches to defend instead of be aggresive. It transitions nicely into Hydra's or Mutas and gives you a decent economy to work with. Personally, it doesn't feel as "ALL IN" as a Baneling Bust.

For me it solves to awkward scouting phase pre-Lair tech. Opponents will wall themselves in and your OL's are so slow it's hard to catch site of their entire main for tech. With the 5 Roaches you can do a decent amount of economic damage, scouting and force them into anti-Roach tech (which is pro-Zergling tech). If they start busting out Stalkers/Marauders and the wall is down you can rally Lings into their base and the Ling speed will kick in cross map.

10. Comma

Comma Member

Ergh. Protoss I just played had a huge recovery. Killed ALL Pylons and all workers...

How often does the Custom League update?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  11. nathanblogs

nathanblogs Member

zz went from 6/7 wins to 7/10, one game my teammate made about 10 units after 15 mins > <

12. Comma

Comma Member

Currently I'm in the fashion of applying 10 Rauders and 4 Ghosts to enemies XD.

13. Drunkmunky

Drunkmunky Member

Thats the build I was using, you can't pull it off when he takes your gas before you even get a pool down... And he had walled off before my drone got to his base to scout which was about 13 or 14 and there was no stargate or anything obviously, it just looked like a normal 4 gate opening.

14. the-enigma

the-enigma Member

What do you guys think about walling off at the bottom or tops of ramps? Personally I've always walled off at the top, I figure it's harder for zerglings/zealots to get a full surround, but I've been up against a few protoss players at least who wall up at the bottom of their ramps.

15. loupseul

loupseul Member

when I say 1v1 I mean 1 drone vs 1 scv. in a real game, if you can get them to take off 2 scvs (1 scv isn't going to cut it) off mining to take on 1 drone running in circles and harassing the racks builder, that's a win in my books as they'll have a 3rd scv scouting (resource disadvantage!).

16. kingyubbo

kingyubbo Member

I guess for Terran, walling off at the top means the ramp provides a natural choke which marines and marauders can exploit early game against zerg and protoss. I guess with protoss, due to warp gate tech, it doesn't really matter as they can send units outside of the wall later?

17. BIG.TICKET

BIG.TICKET Member

I play Protoss.

I hate scouting early because I have to forgo those extra 30 or so minerals that worker is mining. But I think I might be forced to.

18. BIG.TICKET

BIG.TICKET Member

Walling off at the top is the most beneficial because vision of the high ground is obscured if you wall of correctly.

19. SorC

SorC Member

The one exception to this is PvT partial wall off, early game. As protoss placing buildings at the bottom of your ramp lets you use stalkers to kite marines, marauders and hellions. This is because the stalker can retreat up your ramp out of vision and still shoot if the terran units try engage while you buildings block them from actually following up the ramp. It needs some pretty precise building placement.

And by partial wall off I mean that there is still a small gap in your wall that you can run through but if the enemy tries you should be able to pick them off 1 by 1.

20. break

break Member

Bit the bullet and started my ranking matches last night (in 1v1), knowing full well I suck bad at RTS games.

Was pretty happy with a 3-1 result so far, with one more match to play. I only lost that one game to stupidity (ignored the probe scouting my base early on... and didn't pay attention to the extremities of my starting platform where they through down a gateway and started to warp in stalkers :o)

Question though, I've been playing a lot of Protoss and I'm still having all sorts of problems getting setup early on. The high cost of zealots make it tough, so I've been pushing for gas very early and trying to get established with stalkers quickly. Is that the best way to get some effective defense for Protoss early on?

Any tips for a newbie SC2 player?