1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Starcraft 2 (Wiki in OP)

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by gruntLOL, Jul 26, 2010.

1. flinchy

flinchy Member

@ highlighted comment.

you're doing it wrong, they are the MOST micro heavy race

protoss least
    terran in between.

i've been steamrolled by both terran, zerg, and to a lesser extent, other protoss, you just have to re-learn what role and strengths the units have.

you used roaches much yet? if not, do it

an early game roach/ling (or even pure roach) army will smash any protoss (no tier1 gateway units are good against them), unless they tech for immortals, which means they'd have been vulnerable to lings or something anyway..

2. VippiN

VippiN Member

So after being photon cannon rushed i've adopted it and it's hilariously easy to use. So if I use it on you, sorry in advance. But it's so damn funny.

3. Lep

Lep Member

Agreed. Depending on the zerg player and the first few moments of the game. The initial scout with good micro will lead to either FE or pool + roaches. correct micro here will provide a good macro chance or offense with roaches.

However depending on the builds and rushes for each race all are quite micro intensive. E.g. Protoss V Zerg with Orb Vs Idra on blistering sands HDH invitational. Orb rushed with 2 gate and transitioned in to stalkers + blink. In the end Orb won that game due to good micro with stalkers. I recently watched this game so it comes to mind really quickly.

4. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Uh cant even win a game in silver league sigh. No matter what I do im just getting screwed. I think some people just get lucky. They dont scout or anything yet know exactly what strat I am using and build up the best units to counter it.

I dont think SCII is my kind of game.

5. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

I agree with what you say, but let me expand on what I meant by Micro lightedness in comparison to others for although I understand your point of view, it's just my present playstyle that makes them less micro "dependent" than the others.

Protoss units have high HP/Shield and so you value each unit, Terran units can be repaired or healed so it's pertinent to keep their numbers, whereas Zerg heal via queen is too energy intensive to be viable on low HP units and so the slow regen is really not viable in an attack, in retreat then yeah.

I'm more looking at it from the point of view of someone who is NOT a top tier player and would benefit more from less micro on units and more on remembering to spread creep, inject larva etc. If you can do both than power to you.

I guess I'm not making a very strong argument overall, but hopefully you get my angle. Maybe I should change it to "micro dependency" instead to avoid misunderstanding.

In any case, yeah I agree, Roaches are a good choice, be nicer that they didn't get double nerfed with supply increase AND armour decrease. Maybe give em a range increase to compensate?

6. OP
    OP
    gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

Terran Players:

What are your opinions with walling off with supply depots? Generally I don't like to do it, because if I get busted early game (like I just can't keep the thing repaired.....baneling bust for example) I'm in a lot of trouble.

On most maps that have a skinny ramp I generally try and wall off with a barracks and a factory (if that is my opening) or a racks and a bunker. On scrap station for example I have no choice really and it came back to bite me last game. Thankfully I proxy raxed to a bunker to contain and tech to banshees and by the time he busted me he had no drones and I cornered his lings with my SCV's but I lost 2 supply depots in the process, if the game had of been tight it would have been ugly.

I've seen engineering bay but it seems like a lot of coin early game. How beneficial is not using supply in walls? (PS: I don't wall vs terran).

ED: The other reason I like supply is that you can drop it to aggress rather than lift in a fact / racks / eng bay / racks wall.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  7. Lep

Lep Member

While i agree with bringing roach supply back to one. I believe how they have the roach is fine. Its a restricted unit in terms of range but was designed with high HP regen and armor in mind. I say keep it that way.

I still see a problem with spine crawlers and the fact that they take forever to morph. I believe that Zerg are usually on the back foot as to the first few moments of the game. Protoss and Terran are able to wall off and continue making both workers and a small army, while compared to Zerg they must decide between the balance of army or workers. A shorter spawn time on the spine crawler would move me more towards the workers and result in a better macro push back after the first attack, that is if i survive the first push.

I also think that the argument of Zerg's adaptability will come into conversation. While it maybe true that zerg can adapt quickly, when an enemy is pushing from their base for a timed attack Zerg must put up some sort of defense other than a queen or early lings. Defensive play follows very quickly with spine crawlers and lings in production. Lings are weak and Spine Crawlers take to long.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  8. Randy_Chuggs

Randy_Chuggs (Banned or Deleted)

I don't play Terran, but I've seen some people wall in with Engineering Bay since it has more HP or something.

9. BIG.TICKET

BIG.TICKET Member

I don't know why. Delays their barracks and other tech.

10. BIG.TICKET

BIG.TICKET Member

Zerg are a reactionary race. They react to what their opponent is doing so they are naturally on the backfoot. It's just they can go from backfoot to forefoot so fast with their swarm characteristics. Build up those hatcheries and Queen those puppies is what I say!

11. VippiN

VippiN Member

Post a replay of one of your games here. You may be just bad. Sorry but being honest. Post up one of your replays and we can all help give some advice. Saying "people are hacking" doesn't cut it.

12. iinsom

iinsom Member

sogh

so over proxy, fucking die

13. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Where abouts did I say anyone was hacking :confused: I said they were lucky without scouting and guessing the right counter units.

Generally against another terran (depending on what hes doing early game) my build order usually goes something along the lines of:

• 10th SCV build Supply
    • Build 1st and 2nd barracks
    • Build Gas and supply
    • Tech lab on both barracks
    • Build 3rd barracks & reactor whilst pumping out marauders
    • Build second gas
    • Mass produce marines and merauders with waypoint set to first wave of units

Keep in mind with the above ill be building SCV's and supply depots as needed so Im not forgetting that ;)

By this time its still very early game and I can generally win with the initial rush of units. If I feel ill get beat with the rush ill pull back units and start building up factory, starport and engineering bay.

How do you post up a replay?

14. VippiN

VippiN Member

15. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

16. VippiN

VippiN Member

Here's one of me tonight, was a good game, feel free to comment / give tips. I am definately not pro but it's a fun match to watch. :)

Download Here: http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=137181

My thoughts on the battle..

Got completely owned start of the game by his quick Zealot push. Barely held them off. If I had made a comeback once had 6 or so Stalkers would have taken it there. But thought he would have had a larger base build to restock his units quicker.

Can't believe what bad luck / my bad micro that got my main battle force destroyed. Didn't think he would have destroyed the middle rocks so ran right into his army Stalker first. Would have died either way if my Zealots went first but not that fast. Extended Thermal Lance hurts.

Used the Dark Templars as a last ditch effort - Lucky. He really should have built an observer as soon as he saw his Probe's getting killed off. He could have had that game easy if he sent a dozen Stalkers to each point of the map to check for my last buildings.

Overall.. Fun game!

17. the-enigma

the-enigma Member

Playing against Terran and assuming (without scouting) an MMM rush isn't something that takes brilliant tactics. If I'm up against Terran and I'm not going to scout, I am going to assume that they are coming at me with marines, marauders and medivacs. Just like against zerg, the first wave will generally be zerglings, with maybe roaches and banelings, and Protoss will generally send zealots and stalkers in an early rush.

18. iinsom

iinsom Member

maybe at lower ranks tvt is mmm, but at higher leagues its all about air control, expect them to have vikings/tanks

19. BIG.TICKET

BIG.TICKET Member

Yeah tactics are predictable right now at this stage of the game. Just need one of the pros to release a replay with revolutionary tactics and the whole game changes.

As a protoss player, I wouldn't mind seeing more high templar play and mothership play. I totally forgot that I had access to the mothership, archons and high templar because I'm so used to going zealots, stalkers, immortals.

20. Vassili

Vassili Member

I swapped from collosus to high templar the other day, after my zerg opponent started smashing out corrupters. Stuck with my zealot/stalker/sentry ground army, and combined forcefields with psi storm.. worked well. Still ended up losing though :lol: