Starcraft Remastered

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by raincloudx, Mar 26, 2017.

1. rthy

rthy Member

no more 800x600 :thumbup:

2. Penfold

Penfold Member

Not sure about this one. I loved SC: Brood War back in the day but in some ways Starcraft 2 was largely aimed at improving and addressing the shortcomings of Starcraft anyway. I'll probably buy it regardless but starcraft 1 & 2 (aside from Korea) has really dropped off the scene.

3. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

You'd be wrong.

New patch (1.18) and the original game and expansion will be free (not the remastered version).

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Why do people baulk at this? Commercial companies don't exist for charity. Developers can't live of Facebook likes and cuddles. People need to get paid.

Take a look at what's on offer - they're GIVING THE SD VERSION AWAY FOR FREE, and charging only for the HD update. You want to play the 1998 original? You can do it now, gratis. Online, offline, whatever you want. Totally free.

Good on them for maintaining a 19 year old game and keeping it playable today. I wish other developers would take note. As an ardent retro gamer, paying over-inflated prices to eBay vultures is bullshit, and I'd rather give a couple of bucks to my favourite developers and publishers to pay legal licenses of great old games working on modern hardware, even if that means paying for things a second time (still a steal, when you consider the low dollars per hour that's given me some of the best entertainment ever, and I'm happy to pay for the dev time to get old code working on new hardware, which isn't always easy).

5. melatonin

melatonin Member

Cash grab by releasing a game for free and a skin pack as optional? Blizzard print money.

One of the reasons they took so long with SC2 after sc:bw been so popular is that many people considered it perfect so they left it for a long time.

I like blizzard for not milking things, I hate the re-mastered game from PS3 to PS4 there are so many.

Why do you consider it over-rated? Probably the most balanced multi-player out there arguably ever

6. SyN

SyN Member

so whats the difference? not like anyone played it for the graphics from day one...
    only benefit i see if it allows zooming out to see more of the map or allow selection of more than 12 units (only because i am noob and can't control groups like a korean)

7. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

See Elvis' comments above. Better compatibility with modern hardware.
    Biggest visible difference would be support for 16:9 aspect ratios. Higher res is a bonus.
    They won't change any of the mechanics though. Someone would literally fly a plane (or a whole shitload of drones) loaded with explosives into the Blizzard offices if they even mentioned it.
    You'll probably end up being able to see a bit more of the map at full zoom-out, simply due to the A/R change.
    But the scaling will remain the same, hopefully with lots of extra model detail added when zoomed in.

Getting back to the whole "cash grab" bullshit...
    I sold my original CD copy to a retro enthusiast here on OCAU (and he got it for a damn good price too, I must say :lol:) because even though I enjoyed it when I originally played it, I didn't have the time or energy to invest in dicking around with compatibility mode and searching the net to find fixes for problems. I enjoy RTS but it's not my favourite genre. Somebody else with a running Win95 machine needed that CD copy more than I.
    It'll be pretty sweet to just jump into the Steam store and Pay --> Download --> Play. :)
    As well as the above bonuses of course.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  8. Sledge

Sledge Member

A bit more than that...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

I love SC2 and I've ashamedly become a slight graphics whore, so I'm unlikely to play this too much, but for a reasonable price I'll happily grab a copy for my bother and myself and we'll have a game for old times sake.

So who's got money on a D2 remake following? I think WC would be the lowest on their list.

10. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

No esport money behind any of that. The SC:BW scene is still kicking and there is enough money in Korea alone to make it worth while. If nothing else the HD update certainly makes it more gom/twitch/broadcast friendly in the HD/UHD age.

As for WC no one gives af about WC since DOTA came out.

11. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

Excellent point :thumbup:

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  13. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

Oh boy we can zoom out? About bloody time.

14. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

I'm missing something - if I look for Starcraft Anthology on the Blizzard web site it says it's unavailable for digital download.

Yes, I know whatever I'm missing is obvious to everyone but me :sick:

Anyone have the direct link please?
    TIA

15. dacow

dacow Member

Won't be out for a couple of months, it's meant to come out Summer in the US so will be a winter release for us guys.

16. OP
    OP
    raincloudx

raincloudx Member

The original versions of SC and SC:BW will be made available for free, it was meant to be up a few days ago but it got delayed.

17. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

But I want it NOW!! :upset:
    :lol:

18. Ripley

Ripley Member

19. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Show me the money

20. T-Bones

T-Bones Member

I've already downloaded it and playing again :)