1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Started making holiday bookings yet?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Smoothie, Dec 4, 2020.

1. wwwww

wwwww Member

If you need a holiday from your holiday then you're not holidaying right.

mooboyj and chainbolt like this.
  2. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Depends. Are you talking about holidaying with kids??? Because a holiday with kids, isn't a holiday, and you can't always just leave them at home.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You can completely understand how people are reluctant to travel right now, even within Australia. The thought of being stuck somewhere, at your own extra expense, for an indefinite length of time, due to what might happen with covid.....makes people very scared. And rightly so.

4. OP
    OP
    Smoothie

Smoothie Member

agreed, It's amazing how quickly it all turns - few cases here and there and now I am worried I wont get to go to Tasmania in Feb. Lucky I opted for refundable tickets/accommodation

5. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

booked 2 x Luxury escapes today (Maldives and Thailand) - just need international travel to start again within the next couple of years.

Also still have a Vietnam trip (was supposed to be June to August last year) waiting in the background, as soon as I can go to Vietnam, we are off.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think it's an absolute must right now, and probably for the next year at least.

7. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Remembering that a bunch of companies and CEOs originally called 2023 the year that things get back to normal travel wise i'd be focusing on other things at the moment

8. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

I get that, with Qantas announcement today - I'm not really fussed on cost - once we can fly and not have to quarantine for 2 weeks at the other end, we are out of here. I would be surprised if one of our trips isn't completed by October this year.

With work, we are already looking to restart travel as long as the employee is willing to do quarantine in both countries - productivity is being affected at the manufacturing end, so we need to visit most of ASIA asap

Smoothie likes this.
  9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I know some people didn't believe it but this pandemic was always going to be a years long things and not just 6 months or a year. It will drag out and things like travel will be hit hard.

10. Zee

Zee Member

Bought a couple of tickets to Japan (refundable) within the next year, and tickets to Boracay for March (which *should* be a pretty safe bet, as domestic travel here in the Philippines is kinda going).

Z...

MR CHILLED likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Not wrong, I really feel for the aviation and travel industry - It must be so difficult just waiting to find out when they can get back to it.

glenpinn and MR CHILLED like this.
  12. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

If i had my COVID jab already, i would be jumping back onto a plane for a 6 month trip back to the Philippines, even if it meant a 14 day quarantine over there, and another 14 days back in Australia on our return.

I don't know what the current situation is over there in regards to foreigners entering the country who have already had the vaccine, and i also don't know what the policy is here in Australia if we returned from the Philippines having been vaccinated already, maybe the government will not allow us to return at all, or wait in a cue like everyone else has to.

I have tried to do some short localized trips away to places that we have not been to for many years, or not been to before, but i still feel rather deflated and uninspired holidaying locally, i just find myself wanting to get back home asap, one such case happened just last week, intended spending 6 days down the east coast of Tassie, we drove home after 3 days.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Smoothie likes this.
  13. mooboyj

mooboyj Member

Did a 10 day Hobart-Melboune-GC-Toowomba-Melbourne holiday over Easter. Scanning QR codes and wearing masks was quite eye-opening. Having no community covid since May 2020 has lead to a normalish life in Hobart compared to the rest of Australia.

We are looking at skiing in NZ with friends coming down from Toowomba a week before hand later this year.

2022 was supposed to be Europe, but I don't see that happening unfortunately. We also want to get back to Malaysia and conversely have family over, but once again I don't see this happening until the second half of 2022 at the earliest. Malaysia is a shit show for Covid unfortunately :/

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Lift passes should be cheaper over there right now due to them wanting Aussies to visit.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  15. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

Hopefully a nice change for me then - doing a week in Tassie at the end of May - would be nice not to have to scan in everywhere

16. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Probably not going to see much in a week, we had our friends from Sydney drive down here to Tasmania in their 2018 Mustang convertible, they arrived on April 11 and got the boat back to Melb on the 18th, basically they just came here to give the car a run, rather than try and see many sights.

They wasted 2 nights in Launceston (a complete shit hole) at the start after getting off the boat in Devonport, then 2 nights in Hobart with us, 1 night Lake St Clair, 2 nights in Burnie, then back to Melb on the boat, didn't even drive across the top from Launceston to St Helens and down the east coast, such a waste of time.

Good luck with your trip here, the weather has turned to crap in the past week or so, looks like more crap to come, and we now have daylight savings turned off and it gets dark now by 6pm, should have left it in place until the end of April.

Are you doing a fly/drive trip, or driving here in your own car.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  17. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

Coming down in our car from Sydney - Catch the Ferry Wednesday night, then heading straight down to Glendevie - wife has booked an amazing looking house down there. We then catch the ferry back to Melbourne the following Monday and then spend 2 nights in Melbourne at the Grand Hyatt.

Not 100% sure what we are doing in Tas yet, was a very spur of the moment booking - but will do day trips out to the usual places I guess - this was also a trip to see what TAS is like before we do a bike trip around TAS

18. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

That is a great idea to base yourself in or near Hobart and do day trips, Glendevie will be at least a 3.5 hour drive direct from Devonport without much of a break, as it is way south from Hobart, not sure that it would be a convenient place for day trips to places north or east from Hobart, such as Port Arthur, but the scenery down that way is beautiful.

Seems like you have 4 nights at Glendevie, so you should do a day trip to Hastings caves and the Tahune Airwalk if you can, these are south from Glendevie, and can be done within a day, or take the Pepperming Bay boat cruise.
    Do Port Arthur as a long day trip, and do the sights of Hobart, including Mona on another day.

Not sure if your Monday boat to Melb is day or night, but if it was a daytime sailing i would have suggested that the day before your boat departure that you do a long drive up the east coast from Hobart to St Helens, over to Launceston via Scottsdale, and up to Devonport, stay there for the night and get the boat in the morning, this road trip would be approx 500km but wel worth it in my opinion, rather than just driving up the middle of Tassie straight to Devonport.

When our friends came here on the 11th, we met them at the boat terminal in Devonport at 10pm (the boat was delayed due to 15m waves) and we drove from there straight to Launceston where they booked for 2 nights, so we stayed there for the 1 single night, but rather than do the Tamar river tour with our friends the following day and stay another night in Launceston, we decided to drive back to Hobart down the east coast from Launceston (via scottsdale and St Helens) staying at Scamander for a night on the way, it was a total of 400km, we then met up with our friends at our place the following day.

Too much to see in Tassie for such a short stay, 2 weeks minimum is what one would need to put aside to see most of the best places in Tasmania.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  19. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

Really tempted to do a trip to Hobart, I'm just really scared of what happens if things go south and I can't get on a plane back over.

My brother in law decided to have his wedding in Mexico. This December. I'm not booking flights for that until the absolute last minute for that one, there's no discounts at the moment anyway (it'd be about $2500 per person).

20. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Unfortunately the state gov is requiring people to scan qr codes at most business's after the 1st May.

Good idea to aviod the Hobart airport, picked someone up on Thursday and it was a shit fight.

the_fuzz likes this.