Started making holiday bookings yet?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Smoothie, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I wanted to do Uluru....but there is zero accommodation available :(

2. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Hobart Airport is a shit hole, they have spent over $25 million on upgrading it to international class 3 times in the past 10 years, and then the airlines bail out with their direct flights, even Air New Zealand bailed out because nobody used their service, and it was cheaper to go with Jetstar via Melb.

I went to the airport 2 weeks ago and got a shock at how they did this latest upgrade, especially the ripoff carparks, and i even had a run in with one of the stupid boof headed security guys who tried to bully me out of the drop off zone.

Tasmania will never be a place that will ever attract international travelers flying direct to our state, they all end up flying to the mainland ports, and then come here on domestic flights.

We was even going to book the boat and take our car to Sydney and up to QLD for a few weeks, we got a shock at the cost of the boat, works out cheaper to fly to Sydney, hire a car there and drive to QLD for a week, then drop the car off at the Brisbane airport and fly to Melb for a few days with our Son, then fly home from there.

Accommodation was very scarce in Tasmania until about 2 weeks ago, starting to see more places with vacancies coming up, but the West Coast is still very full on, especially Stahan and Cradle Mountain.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  3. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

That is what happens when you sell of a public asset and then hock it off to Macquarie Capital. Christ I prefered it when they didnt have baggage carousels, just pulled the trolley in and it was a free for all.

4. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Agree with you, Qantas always had their carousel inside the terminal, but the old Jetstar and Virgin baggage collection was outside at the end of the terminal in what was basically just an oversized carport for a bus, and the tractor would drive in with his 4 trailers full of luggage, and you found your own, even today you still have to walk in the cold and rain to get on a plane, which is so dumb, with all the money they have wasted, why have they still not built 3 or 4 passenger docks so you are inside the tunnel when getting on the plane.

Next Saturday is Election day, maybe if i vote Rebecca White into power maybe she can fix it for us (again)

5. Yehat

Yehat Member

I went to Hobart in mid March via plane (due to the Spirit being booked out at the time). Both the flight and the city were absolutely chockers! Trying to get hire cars (esp with child seat) required some searching as some of the big rental companies at the time were after ~$300 per day (not luxury vehicles), and many of the highly rated Air BnB / hotels were booked or nearing capacity.

The way it was described to me by locals was that Tassie has had low covid cases compared to the mainland and combined with the fact that people can't travel internationally has made it (an even bigger) target for local tourism, hence the rush. I'm not sure if it's levelled out a bit since then. But my advice if you're planning to go there is to make sure you plan out your trip in as much advance as possible in case it's still that level of busy.

glenpinn likes this.
  6. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

It seems the planes are further away from the terminal than 20 years ago. Personally they should develop a new terminal on the other side of the runway and start from scratch. Failure to plan is planning to fail.

I think hire cars are still an issue. I wouldnt say Hobart is chockers full compared to pre covid times. I knew once Melbourne was opened up, lots of people would come down.

After the NW covid cluster F, Tassie has had only had covid in quarantine. We had cops on the midland highway last April, checking why people needed to travel.

7. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Yeah, not sure about the planes being further away now, but i agree that a new terminal would have been better on the other side, but they could have left the hire car depot's and car parking where they are and build a travelator or light train (electric) from there under the runway to get to the terminal.

It is strange, Tassie has had a boomer tourist season, hotels fully booked, rental cars impossible to get, and are double/triple the usual cost, but if you go around the city (Hobart) during the day or night you won't see any more people than usual, i go out every other Friday night to the city drinking, and the regular bars are quiet, however restaurants are full, it is very hard to get a place in almost all of the good places around town.

Things are slowing down about now though, but between April 10 and 19th, our friends were here from Sydney and we found it hard to get good accommodation in Launceston and down the east coast.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  8. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

I've found the hire car gouge is Australia wide at the moment - I went up to Cairns a couple of weeks ago and went to grab a car - ended up being $180 a day for a little hatch - I would normally spending about $50 a day up there

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Still not a good time to fly. In fact I don't know when it will be a good time. It's all a risk right now and will be for some time yet. Colleague of mine took his fam and friends/kids over to NZ and they got hit by the last Vic lockdown. They had to find somewhere in NZ and basically everything was booked already....best they could do was a penthouse suite and split 4 ways was ok, but still. Very risky.

10. OP
    OP
    Smoothie

Smoothie Member

I agree, I have a NZ Trip booked in November - doubt that will go ahead. I cant believe the lack of progress since making this thread and now.

11. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

I'm supposed to go to a conference in Germany at the end of October, Still not sure about it, don't want to go there and get stuck

12. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Well here we was, had decided to do a 6 week trip from Hobart to Cairns and back in the Foz, we made tentative bookings for the boat trip to Melb on Feb 4th and return on March 24th, Wife booked in 8 weeks of her unused annual leave, but now with all this crap going on, and with that dipshit QLD Premier being an absolute nut case by locking HER borders the way she has this time, we have canned the trip because we cannot be put in a situation where by we could end up stranded somewhere.

They want Aussies to take a trip to somewhere in Australia, but how on earth can we when things are out of control the way they are, we would be far better off just going back to the Philippines and do it for 3 months, if we are vaccinated i would do it in a heart beat (i get my first jab tomorrow) but the issue with that is the cost of airline tickets to fly there and back, plus 2 lots of quarantine means losing 24 days from the holiday.

The Philippines is in a real mess right now, but at least they do let people in as long as they have negative test result on arrival, and do 10 days in quarantine.

Looks like i need to buy my big bus and do a motor home conversion while waiting for life to get back to normal, and just stick some posters of some QLD beaches (or Islands in the Philippines) on the windows while working on the bus and pretend we are on a holiday :D:thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  13. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

In the land of beer and sausages? There's worse places to get stuck.

the_fuzz likes this.
  14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

QLD doesn't want tourists.

We are all happy with our lack of cases and lockdown.

A few random tourist dollars does not compensate for everyone going into lockdown.

grrrr likes this.
  15. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Had hoped to go the the US for a study exchange (Jan 2022 to April 2022) but the uni pulled it on advice from Home Affairs. I suspect I would have gotten an exit pass on the 3+ months rule but even if I did the US healthcare system has collapsed in the last few weeks so I probably would have cancelled it myself. Now I've got a flight credit for UA that I have to use some time next year which should be doable.

16. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

This is nothing against you or the people of QLD, but your premier is a selfish, smartass, arrogant bitch, and not only does she not want tourists, she doesn't even want to bring a small handful of her own people back from the other side of the NSW border so they can get back home, she has family members stranded on the other side of an orange barricade on the NSW border, people who can reach out and hug other family members, but she refuses to let them back in, all this just to protect her own precious little piece of paradise, when there is an easy way to fix this shit, but no, she has no fucking compassion inside her her demented brain.

Yeah so are we here in Tasmania, but the REALITY of life is about to hit home for everyone, and the reality is that this locking states down and closing borders cannot go on for much longer, and the sooner everyone accepts the fact that we are all going to have to live with COVID the better off we will be, even the expert medical professionals have been telling us this for months, so as soon as all states hit the same vaccination rates, all of Australia will re-open their borders and lift any lockdowns, and the sooner it happens the better.

17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Which all results in QLD having no COVID cases....

People knew the risks but decided to go to NSW anyway, they had insane amounts of time to come home and were even warned that the border was closing.

At this point, letting people "come home" can kill people.

QLD can do this as long as we want to.

Opening up like NSW has worked really well hasn't it? :rolleyes:

coolroy, the_fuzz and Scarpetta like this.
  18. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

You are missing the point of what i was trying to say, your dumbass premier can protect you lot for as long as she likes, just as our premier (Gutwein) can keep our border locked, but It doesn't alter the fact mate that Australia (as a whole) will be opening back up much sooner than you might think, so you guys up there need to get over all this shit and just accept that COVID will be a part of our lives into the future.

It won't be long before the vaccination rates in NSW and Victoria hits a certain level (80% first dose) and Scomo will enact some kind of law that will force all states to re-open the borders, and i can't wait for that to happen.

I had my first AZ shot yesterday, my 2nd dose is due on Dec 1st, but in other states the 2nd AZ vax is being given after just 6 weeks, so i will be trying to get mine changed, 12 weeks for me is far too long.

They can re-open all borders as soon as i get my 2nd dose.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  19. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Ahhh so this is purely about you?

coolroy, the_fuzz and bart5986 like this.
  20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Nobody is going to force other states to open up and get infected like NSW, so why do it just because you say?

Oh so now its clear what your opinion is all along, People are dying in NSW and you want people to die in other states too.

Based on your extreme emotion it seems you might be suffering from an illness relating to being stuck in Tasmania, just remember that human life is more important then traveling.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    coolroy and Scarpetta like this.