Started making holiday bookings yet?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Smoothie, Dec 4, 2020.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm off to Kangaroo Island next week, bit of a work/personal vacation. SA has been very covid free throughout this whole time so don't expect any issues. Only problem was getting accomodation....everywhere is just booked out...but managed to find a nice place all the same.

2. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i was looking at flights to asia (Japan, HK, Singapore) out of curiosity last night, and i noticed that nearly all of them had a requirement for travel insurance up to $X amount (some up to $100k) - as well as all the covid stuff

3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Any tips for Kangaroo Island?

Have two full days planned there around Christmas.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yep, book early if you want mainstream accommodation. If you don't mind airbnb then there are some of those around but you will have to pay decently for it I'm sure due to low availability of accommodation. Well unless you have a bunch of people who can split the cost.

I was on a work trip so time for person stuff was limited, so only got a small amount of time to visit touristy spots. We were based in Kingscote and our business was east on the island (Lesueur's Conservation Park) so that's where I spent most of my time. I did do a day trip (a loop around the island) but was a flying visit. Little Sahara is cool, did Admirals Arch, Vivone Bay is nice, bit of Flinders Chase National Park, Cape Borda Lighthouse, Pardana, and a few other places predominantly south and mid on the island. Not enough time to explore north coastal. I've been quite a few times now, it's always nice over there, good to get away from mainstream Adelaide.

To eat? If in Kingscote I can recommend the Ozone if you want a slightly more upmarket dining experience. Food is fine, steak is nice ;) For a more laid back local feel I can recommend The Queenscliffe Family (pub dining), don't ask for Anne the cook, you won't get a discount :p :D And I found The Kangaroo Island Seaside Inn to be quite a tasty Indian restaurant.

For breakfast I can absolutely recommend Cactus, get the House Granola,....soooooo nice! We also had the Big Breakfast on the last day which was pretty good too.

bart5986 likes this.
  5. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

Accommodation was hard to find but I've purchased one of the last rooms on the island for the time period I was going.

6. Skramit

Skramit Member

I booked Fiji for next year. Pumped!

Theres some epic package deals going atm for Fiji to get people back.

7. doug81

doug81 Member

Been on holidays in Siem Reap for the last couple of years, but glad to see the borders are starting to open up in this region so I can start travelling around a bit. Getting rid of hotel quarantine is going to help a lot, as no-one going on holidays wants to spend a week or two in an overpriced hotel.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50961249/which-asian-countries-are-re-opening/

8. OP
    OP
    Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Just booked Hawaii (May 2022) - It's back on baby!

doug81 and MR CHILLED like this.
  9. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

Been doing some research on bookings and insurance, a lot of concerns popped up. Key one is what happens if you test positive right before leaving, pretty much required to hang out for another 2 weeks. Depending on country/airline, need to get a doctor to certify that your infection has passed. Some airlines flat out won't let you board without a negative test and it can take weeks/months to test negative after getting sick, so important to pick the right one.

The trip I wanted to do was Mexico/US/Canada. The number of PCR tests I would need to do would run up into the thousands of dollars worth for two of us because one is required before entering each country (except Mexico, but since one is required before flying anywhere and there's no direct flights so one would be needed for the stopover, it's needed anyway).

Going to give it another 6 months and see if things settle down, plus probably drop the Mexico bit. It was only for a nuts family member who decided an overseas wedding was a good idea during a pandemic (it's next month).

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Very unlikely given the current status in Australia and as long as you've had your booster if its been more then 6 months.

11. bcann

bcann Member

DM me, mum has an airbnb there if you want.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  12. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

I messed up what I was trying to say, what I meant was leaving the country you travel to rather than leaving Australia. Getting back home is what worries me, I don't really want an extra 2 weeks anywhere.

I'm vaxxed with AZ, there's still a decent risk of infection even though it'd probably be asymptomatic. Travelling around some countries where case rates are still pretty high means there's a pretty good chance of exposure.

13. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Aren't most states doing no quarantine periods if you are double vaccinated later this year?

If I had AZ I would definitly be getting a Pfizer/Moderna booster before leaving the country, and I still wouldn't go anywhere where cases are very high, there's so many places to go where they aren't.

14. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

That's for returning people who test negative, if you test positive it's a totally different ballgame. Firstly, no airline will let you board their plane if you've tested positive so you're stuck wherever you are and subject to their policies. Qantas it's 14 days minimum with 3 days symptom free and it needs to be signed off by a doctor that you're symptom free. Some airlines like Etihad won't let you board unless you present a negative test (even though it can take weeks or months for that to happen) regardless of what a doctor says. So you get to book a hotel and stay inside watching netflix for a while, even if asymptomatic. You might be forced to isolate, depending on local quarantine rules, Canada requires you to have an isolation plan that you stick to. Countries are taking this seriously too, Hong Kong banned Air Canada recently because they had a positive passenger on one of their flights.

Even in Australia they're not relaxing rules if you test positive, it's only for people returning who test negative.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nice. Cheers mate, might be in touch with you on that one next work trip. I think we may be back there early next year. Chances are there would be a few of us going so would need a place with 3 bedrooms though.

Where is the airbnb based?

16. bcann

bcann Member

she has 3, one in town in kingscote right next to the post office, and 2 in .... shit i can never remember, american river i think.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

3!? So that's who's hoarding out all the property on KI :p

Kingscote would probably be best, that's where we stayed last time and has all the amenities etc.

bcann likes this.
  18. sic_vl2000

sic_vl2000 Member

Starting small, got a holiday booked for Cairns in Jan, though it'll be the first time on a plane for our 4yr old daughter.