Static electricity fried PSU?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Darko, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Darko

Darko Member

Hello everyone,
    I have a Caselabs Bullet BH7 case which I painted a couple of weeks ago and tonight I took the top of the case off to finish off by waxing it.
    I used a microfibre towel to buff it and then proceeded to screw the top section back onto the case, I connected all the cables and lastly I plugged the PSU cable back in and turned the power switch at the rear of the PSU on.
    However, when I pressed the power button at the front of the case nothing happened, no lights, no beeps, and then also noticed that my Modem, printer and Monitor also were not powered on.
    I then checked a power socket in the kitchen and that also was not powering on so I checked the main circuit board to the house and noticed the circuit breaker had been tripped off.
    After flicking the circuit breaker back on, the modem, printer and monitor were all powered back on, except my PC which is still dead as a dodo, no lights, no fans, nothing at all turns on.
    So am I correct in thinking that static electricity from buffing the case has fried the PSU? it's a Corsair RM750X and only a couple of months old.
    The good news is that my newly painted case looks bloody fantastic, the finish is like glass.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. FOTW

FOTW Member

I doubt it was static electricity that fried your PSU either a surge or just could have been a faulty PSU hence why your circuit breaker flipped. If its only a couple of months old you wont have a problem getting it replaced.

3. havabeer

havabeer Member

that sounds like a load of crap.

you're not going to short out a PSU by buffing the case. a fairly serious short has happened somewhere, enough to trip the breaker, but it wasn't from you rubbing a cloth on the case

koopz likes this.
  4. mareke

mareke Member

The PSU has built in protections for things like surges, over voltage, under voltage etc. One of these could have been tripped resulting in the PSU switching itself off to protect itself. Disconnect it from the wall socket and the motherboard & leave it for a while and then reconnect it to the motherboard and the wall socket and it may spring back to life.

5. OP
    OP
    Darko

Darko Member

Thanks for your input, I tested the PSU using the paper clip trick and it didn't power on at all
    I'll be sending it back to the retailer for a replacement, do you know roughly how long the process takes as this is the first time that I've had to claim warranty on an item.

6. kEv_

kEv_ Member

i RMA'd a H100i with Allneeds and it took roughly a month iirc, was a long time ago, but when i RMA'd a PSU direct to corsair it took about 2 weeks

7. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Have a sniff of the PSU you'll know if it's fried.

If not unplug all it connections and then try and reconnect them and power on again - one of it's protections may have tripped and disconnecting everything and then reconnecting can reset them:
    http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/rmx-series-rm750x-750-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-psu
    Unit has a 10 year warranty either way.

8. OP
    OP
    Darko

Darko Member

I sent it off for warranty today and bought another PSU and my system is up and running again.

9. koopz

koopz Member

this reminds me why I left OCAU sponsor Computer Alliance as an employee.

mate - you killed your component.

young blokes with my background bust ass helping customers because we truthfully cared about your parts.... threads like this remind me why I left to work for someone else.

you broke your gear and it's expensive. Own it.

it's not as it someone if accusing you of being Malcolm Turnbull and breaking the NBN project.

admit the fault and learn something from it mate

10. OP
    OP
    Darko

Darko Member

I have no idea what you're on about mate.
    The PSU was faulty, simple as that and it was replaced by the retailer.

11. koopz

koopz Member

a knee jerk reaction perhaps...?

I love OCAU and what it stands for, though I am jaded on the case modding users and those who do not respect the technology. Perhaps you can change my mind?

12. OP
    OP
    Darko

Darko Member

Still have no idea what you're on about

13. Hive

Hive Member

1. Malcolm turnbull is an idiot who deserves to be run over by a thousand trains
    2. This whole thread reads like an insurance claim
    3. I doubt rubbing a cloth on a case can damage a PSU

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'd very much doubt that either.

15. mike-s

mike-s Member

I can't either. At worst the static charge would hang around inside the chassis and aside from the earth connected components inside the psu, wouldn't get in there at all. Those parts related to the earthing circuit are really only designed as a path to the ground wire on the plug for rogue electricity from shorts and component failures. Under normal operation I couldn't see anything like O.P. was worried about happening at all.

It's kind of like blaming a blown head gasket in a car on using non OEM windshield wipers.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

But some will still believe this is possible.

17. OP
    OP
    Darko

Darko Member

Going on about is a moot point, whatever the cause was the PSU stopped working, was tested and found to be faulty even though it was only a few months old.

18. koopz

koopz Member

19. OP
    OP
    Darko

Darko Member

Nope what?

20. koopz

koopz Member