1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Statts' Not-So-Ugly Drum Smoker

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Statts, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'd go with flaming red personally.

2. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

Haha. It's going to be satin black. Should look good with the timber side tables and copper piping.

3. BigDave

BigDave Member

Ask them for the drum and lid from Coke Cola Thebarton. they were used for orange juice concentre and came with a plastic bag which we removed after draining :D leaving a clean steel drum :thumbup:

Nice work as usual Statts :cool:

You're the one making the noise :lol:

4. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

They're still painted with the red/burgundy stuff inside though from what I have seen.

5. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

Slight change in course

Well, despite drum recycling methods being apparently very thorough, I've been having a few doubts in the back of my mind lately about the history of my drum. After making a few enquiries and finding out I can get sandblasting done for $beer, I'm going to pick up a food grade drum today and have it sandblasted inside and out. This will also mean it won't need any burning out which is good, as I have a smallish yard, so after half a day or so of re-drilling all the holes, I will be able to paint immediately and move straight on to seasoning.

Charcoal basket progress has begun and should be done in a few days, I will post pics of the start-to-finish of the basket when it's done.

6. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

If anyone is after a drum in Sydney:

Drum Reconditioners(NSW)Pty Ltd

I called up about 6 months ago, sandblasted in and out, with lid less than $50. it was $43-45 + GST.

Next time I am over that way I am going to purchase one, I have this kit to mount to it: HeaterMeter

mM

7. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

They are the ones i thought they sold.

Keen to see some meat cooked and what it looks like btw :thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

Not too much progress, been a little busy with other things.

Started the charcoal basket tonight. Needs a little straightening up as it's a bit flattened off at the join, but shouldn't take much. Picking up the ash tray and bolts for legs on the weekend to finish it off. Unsure if I leave it as is with stainless tie wire holding it together or if I take it in to work and weld it together.

[​IMG]
    Charcoal grate from a 47cm (18.5") Weber Kettle.

[​IMG]
    Some 50 x 25 (2" x 1") mesh I picked up at a local salvage yard (man it's tough work finding plain steel (not galvanized) mesh!

[​IMG]
    All tied together with 1.6mm stainless steel tie wire.

Basket is 330mm (13") diameter by 305mm (12") tall. Should hold plenty of charcoal for long low and slow cooks.

9. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

Got the drum back from the sand blasters, very happy with the job they've done. No burning required, just have to give it a good wash out now, some prepsol and paint it up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Oh wow, this is a full on job indeed. But coming along nicely.

11. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

Yeah it might have gotten a little out of hand :lol:

Painted the drum last night with satin black engine enamel. Not overly happy with the results, it's a little patchy. Think it needs another coat to even things up.

12. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

Another coat . . . of FIRE ENGINE SCARLET!!!!!!!!! DOO EET! DOO EET!
    And while you're at it paint a skull and crossbones on the side.

13. phantom220

phantom220 Member

I like this guy. He speaks the truth.

14. AzonIc

AzonIc Member

Subscribed.. Also in ADL and looking at building an UDS.. Any sources are appreciated

15. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

Paramount Browns - $17 food grade drums with lid and clamp, castors
    Universal Metal Cleaners - ~$30 for sand blasting (sure beats burning and wire wheeling!)
    United Fasteners - $assorted stainless steel fittings
    Supercheap Auto - Duplicolor engine enamel
    Gumtree - second hand webers

16. AzonIc

AzonIc Member

Thanks!

I picked up a weber a few days before finding your thread; $25 off of gumtree and it's cleaned up to almost as new inside (outside paint has some pitting on the bottom). Even though it was manufactured in 1989 and I don't think the trays had been cleaned since I used Oz Kleen Oven Power to clean them and they came up awesomely.

https://scontent-nrt.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=5c4b7c1ff8e30e4cba81f65d88ecfac7&oe=55B40184

Trying to decide if I should keep it as is and find another donor weber or use this one. For the meantime I can use it temporarily whilst I make up my mind; I just won't do anything permanent to the lid.

17. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

That thing looks mint! I'd be hesitant too. Your other option if you want to use that lid and not modify it, is to bolt or weld in some flat aluminium stock to the inside of the drum, so it sits maybe 15mm above the lip, and the Weber lid will drop straight on it. The only reason I didn't do this is because I wanted to use the hinge.

18. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

Well, I rubbed the fluffy crap from the clear coat back and applied another light coat, then wet coat of satin black tonight. It came up a treat, so I won't be bothering with clear coat.

Once the enamel dried to a workable level, I started some of the assembly. Will continue tomorrow when I get the last remaining bits for the air intakes, but for now, here's a couple of shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Just some yellow paint and a stencil, and you could have your own Methlyamine drum.

20. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

very close to making a smaller version out of a keg.....just trawling for information & ideas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.