Statts' Not-So-Ugly Drum Smoker

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Statts, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

I am curious about the valves/air intake. Any reason they run up the side of the drum? Could you just have a valve hanging out the bottom?

2. mmBax

mmBax Member

Could do, what would you rather, operate the valve with your hand from a standing position, or kneel down/use your feet? It'd be a little further away from the heat source as well.

Mine's on the ground, may move it eventually but it isn't a problem at the moment. It's actually reasonably handy having it on the ground as it provides something to hold onto if I want to pick it up and move it.

3. MB403

MB403 Member

So you obviously get a decent airflow from yours then? One valve or two?

4. mmBax

mmBax Member

I should let Statts answer, but for mine I'm only running one 3/4" valve and 2x 3/4" caps.

On it's seasoning run it was sitting at 150-160 degrees C with the valve open and both caps shut. I had some problems with my coal burning unevenly, although I haven't raised it off the floor of the drum yet either.

One of the reasons why I wanted to leave it down low, is because of where it's going to be situated, there's a lot of things around that height that would block any wind gusts that's may sneak the temp up if it was a windy day (which is probably negligible anyway)

5. csremedy

csremedy Member

Does it use a lot more fuel than a regular webber due to the extra volume? I've done 15 hour roasts in my webber using probably less than half a 4kg bag of heat beads.

6. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Was there a specific UDS build you went off or just combined a bunch of things?

Looks fantastic, kudos :thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

G'day all, sorry for lack of responses, things took off a bit with the front page link!

I'm not going to lie, it was bloody good!

I wouldn't personally, considering how abundant food grade drums and cheap sand blasting is, but it's up to you. A lot of people say that drums that had hydrocarbons in them are no problem, a few good burns gets rid of everything.

The valves work really well, small changes in valve can tweak the temperature really finely. When I felt like being pedantic, I was able to adjust the temp down by 3°F with about a 1/20 turn of the second valve (first valve opened all the way). No plans for a dial temp guage. I currently use a Maverick ET-733 for wireless monitoring of pit and meat temps, and have ordered parts for something a bit more fancy again. More on that soon.

They run up the side simply for ease of use. Having a valve sticking out the side of the drum would work just as well, and that's what a lot of people do.

Yeah extra volume would come into it. I think I could get it down to 1x 4kg by being smarter about how I start the beads, still a bit of experimentation to go here.

150-160°C (302-320°F) with only 1x 3/4" inlet open sounds a bit off. Did it hold this temp for long or die down?

Thanks! I just combined a few ideas I saw over various threads on the more common smoking forums, and had a few new ones of my own and just kinda winged it from there. Couldn't be happier with the way it turned out.

8. mmBax

mmBax Member

Off in what way? High or Low?

That temp is based off the lid that I got from a dump, so I don't entirely trust it, I have a standalone bimetallic thermo that I'll drop in on the rack tonight and see if it changes at all. Thermapen never stabilised long enough to get a meaningful reading either (Maverick will be ordered next pay)

It stayed stable for a good 14 hours before slowly dropping. After 48 hours it was still reading 100°C with the valve wide open. I didn't touch anything I just wanted to get some smoke on the sides and let it burn.

Tonights the true test though doing some ribs. So I'll be knocking the valve down to see if I can reduce it closer to 105-110°C

PM me if you want so we're not messing up your thread

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  9. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

Seems REALLY high for that amount of air.

10. mmBax

mmBax Member

My top lid has vent holes in it that I cannot adjust, I'm a little suspicious that this is cranking the heat up also. I'll block what I can with alfoil prior to tonights cook.

Sneaky edit: Tonights cook was stable around 105-110 C with the valve half open and the caps closed. Smoke must have been hanging around though and I ended up with a fair amount of creosote, I've got to go back to the drawing board, I was initially thinking about removing all the vents around my lid, but I think I'll leave them now to help clear the smoke, hopefully it's as simple as that.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  11. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

I'm having trouble locating drums to buy in Canberra. What sort of businesses can you approach to see if they have them for sale?

12. MB403

MB403 Member

I got mine from a lubricants mob, just gave it to me. It had non flamable/hazardous greese in it for commercial food machinery. Onus is on me to have it cleaned and sandblasted. Maybe try food manufacturing, ie health food types. I know flaxseed oil comes in 55 gal drums

13. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Metal recyclers may have some as well ie Sims Etc.

14. nice1

nice1 Member

Lid Hinge

Hey Statts
    Not sure if you've mentioned it yet, but where did you get that hinge for the lid?
    Looks like the bomb.
    Thanks for the fire in the ass mate to get onto this, have had a drum for ages and am finally gonna do it.

15. MB403

MB403 Member

i asked that same question, bit of goggle and:

http://www.bbqsmokermods.com/product-p/wk-h.htm

im sure there are other site that sell them but im looking for something different, some reviews ive read mention the hinge is a little loose and has a bit of play in it. im sure Statts can offer his thoughts on it. :thumbup:

16. nice1

nice1 Member

Thanks MB403 :thumbup: just had a look at it, will be ordering stat

17. MB403

MB403 Member

Mate im sure u could dind it cheaper somewhere. (usd$50 + conversion is abit) Maybe statts found it sold localy. The do however have a very nice 22inch round grill grate for the uds. It does say on checkout its usd$8.99 for international postage which is brilliant.

18. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

Hey guys,

I got mine direct from Unknown BBQ here. Yeah it certainly wasn't cheap, but I was going for good looks with the smoker, so I bit the bullet.

The hinge does have some play from left to right when closed, but with the nomex gasket, it's really a non-issue. You just look at where it closes when you drop the lid down. It's really handy as it's harder to rig up a lid hanger for a Weber lid than it is for the flat drum lid.

Yeah those expanded mesh gill grates look great (!), but the price is a bit crazy by the time you get it here. Brand new hinged (comes in handy) genuine Weber grates are only $54.95 from your local dealer.

19. MB403

MB403 Member

Yeah they do look good hey, re weber grill grates.. even cheaper if you got yourself a 2nd hand cheapy kettle

20. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

Yeah, the grate in my second hand Weber was rooted unfortunately. But the Weber was free!

Sneak peek. First part of a new little project to compliment the nsUDS just arrived....

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.