1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Steam account disabled, buying from US

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by tman88, Nov 5, 2010.

1. tman88

tman88 Member

UPDATE: Got the account reactivated. I just asked them why they disabled it after I had received a gifted game, and if its possible to enable it again. They said they'd make an exception and reactivate it this time only and to not accept gifts from fraudulent sources.

So I managed to buy a cheap game (Trine) off the US steam using AN, a gifting account and my CBA debit mastercard. This was just to test if the card would work, and seeing that it did, I decided to buy the new COD as well. After waiting 12 hours for the order to be reviewed, it sadly got declined but that wasn't the only thing. Trine also got refunded and I didn't even know they had disabled my gifting AND main account until I tried to sign in.

I'm guessing it's caused by a credit card chargeback, since they had approved of the first order, then refunded it after they found out the card on the rejected second order was used before. If it was caused by a fraudulent card, wouldn't they have declined it the first time I ordered? The main account would have been disabled because they saw I had accepted the gift from a "fraudulent" account.

I doubt the accounts will ever be re-enabled, but I'm not too pissed at losing them. Had about 25 games, but the only thing I really played was TF2. I'm just surprised it hasn't happened to anyone here yet or at least I haven't heard about it before. I wanted to post this up to let others know about the risks of cheap steam gaming :p. I'll just have to not game until those Christmas sales :lol:

These quotes are from steam.
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=368

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  2. broddo

broddo Member

I'm not sure if this is what has happened, but companies have the ability to check the billing address of a credit card. If they did this, and the address didn't match what you put into Steam on your gifting account, it could be considered fraudulent activity.

This is why I recommend setting up a US Paypal account in addition to a US gifting Steam account - there's no way for them to verify your address from a Paypal payment, and you can easily transfer money from an AU Paypal account to US as needed.

3. Wakzy

Wakzy Member

wow that sucks, will think twice before i do this tonite, or as broddo said, set up a paypal

4. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

I like that idea!

Don't you need a US bank account to verify the paypal account?

5. Frankeh

Frankeh (Banned or Deleted)

Contact Steam about getting this resolved sooner rather than later.
    You didn't commit any fraud and they have mistakenly disabled your accounts.

6. recoN

recoN Member

So you could have $500 worth of games on your Steam account and they can just disable it?

And people still support this?

7. Philll

Philll Member

lol

How is a chargeback fraud if it was a mistake?

Weird how your main account was disabled.

8. gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

Why do people whinge about this every time a thread like this pops up.

ToS l2readit

9. dink

dink Member

Not even the point. This is exactly why you don't buy games/music/movies without physical media. You have no protection from the company the provides it. They can turn around and kill your account or log you out of your content at any time and point at the 25 page TOS and say you should have read it.

Add that to the fact that there is different pricing for different regions and the stupid protection they give it. How is the distribution cost or production cost any higher in Australia than it is in other parts of the world. It is pure price gouging.

Is it any wonder that I have not paid a penny for any movies/music/games in the past 5 years? They are taking the piss and I ain't buying it.

10. Philll

Philll Member

How will physical media help if your game is Steamworks? He bought Black Ops. Black Ops = tied to Steam. You still have the box, but the game would now be redundant.

11. Benchamp

Benchamp Member

Did you use incorrect name/address details entering your cc when you payed for blackops on the gifting account?? if so the bank has probably done an auto-chargeback on your behalf when the authorisation for blackops came through based on this (your credit card either wont have been charged at all or the charge reversed). If this is what happened then as far as the bank (and therefore steam) are concerned its fraud, even if you willingly entered the incorrect details and are the true holder of the card...

edit: pretty much what broddo said, lol

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  12. dink

dink Member

You get the nocd or crack for it or you don't buy it because of the steamworks. Publishers and developers will get the picture eventually.

13. recoN

recoN Member

It's easy to shrug it off as to "lol read the ToS" but wouldn't you agree that mistakes are going to happened at one point or another? this being one of them.

I don't know why I bother, with this level of maturity shown in here.

14. JohnnyWazza

JohnnyWazza Iron Photographer

completely agree recoN. This is the exact reason I dislike steam (+ lack of resale) and why I only have a handful of games on my account (being Orange Box, L4D and Shattered Horizon). Everythin else I'll find retail (been gettin latest releases from ebay for <$30) or just skip entirely.

15. OP
    OP
    tman88

tman88 Member

The address I used was fake, since it had to be a US address, yet it worked the first time but didn't the second.

I was looking into making a US paypal, but not sure if I trust using virtual bank accounts for account verification. I think Paypal would limit the account after a certain amount of money has been transferred if it's not verified.

16. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

if someone's using a stolen CC to buy games, i'd want steam to disable their account. OP is a nasty side affect of this level of protection coupled with stupid regional pricing. sorry to hear it OP.

17. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

entropay ftw.

18. dsquad

dsquad Member

I tried setting up a US steam account with AN proxy for gifting black ops. The first credit card I tried failed, the 2nd went through to verification of some sort. An hour or so later the account disappeared. What is then extremely weird is the 2 e-mails I had in my gmail account advising of failed payments also disappeared :Paranoid:

I give up, not worth all that stuffing around and dodginess to save a few bucks...

19. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

People were having trouble with CD keys for MW2 from G2Play as well. Acti seem really anal about enforcing their regional pricing. BL OP.

20. koopz

koopz Member

yeah my Steam account was magically disabled from buying (couldn't log in and purchase on the Steam site from my home IP) sometime after I bought L4D from the US Steam site through a VPN (the last game I bought was BF:BC2).

I got my brother in law to log in to my account from his home connection and all was good from there on in.

I sent a support request into Steam and they 'unblocked' the account, though I'm wondering if they looked in to how I worked around the block beforehand.

I was supposed to go to a mate's LAN here in Brissie that weekend.. I should have gone and saved myself the muckaround :p

*hmm* actually I think he gifted me the game and I just gave him $50 for BC2 :/