1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Steam account hacked - all ok now

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Rod911, Mar 6, 2018.

1. bizarroking

bizarroking Member

i've had my account hacked but steam noticed they were trying to log in from a random place in europe and stopped them getting in

2. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

.. Probably with a stolen credit card....

3. BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

what did you do exactly? remember folks, the days of physical games with sheets or paper showing the key and you being asked to use a pen to write your steam support code number on it (and ruin it in the process) are over. don't bother with examples of maybe 1 game still doing this. 99% of buyers no longer have physical steam keys - and this has been going on for years now. so do they accept screen grabs of electronic invoices now? what if you have steam keys from GMG/humble? what then? no more ruining sheets/back of manuals with markings that's for sure. how's it work now?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  4. WooKiE_MaN

WooKiE_MaN Member

This happened to me few weeks ago. Got a few Steam accounts (for my kids) and they all got hacked in a single day. Had to put steam guard on mine, and recover them all via paypal confirmation (to confirm i purchased games)

really weird how anyone enjoys doing it, and how they can bypass the phone numbers / email address confirmation also

but all good now, all fixed :D

5. OP
    OP
    Rod911

Rod911 Member

I sent them a screenshot of a Humble Bundle email I got 4 years ago along with the actual CD Keys within the email. I just included all of the CD Keys (it was a 2K Bundle) as I wasn't sure which ones I've activated through Steam.

6. BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

don't know how big/old your account is, but it doesn't sound good enough. if someone has an old (7+ years) account with many games, they should demand several "tiered" such emails/proof. that is, send a few from different years. a single email, even with multile keys is still just one transaction.

7. OP
    OP
    Rod911

Rod911 Member

I think my account is around 13 years old with 160 games in it.
    Their methods of verification were as follows from their Customer Support:
    Funnily enough, I think someone is trying to hack into my Steam account again as I got an email from Steam saying I had forgotten my password and they sent me a "Forgotten your password" email a couple of days ago.

8. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

First thing i do on all accounts is get Lastpass to generate a unique password and enable 2 factor.
    I almost had one of my accounts hacked previously so im super cautious now.