Steam backup

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Madchimp, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Madchimp

Madchimp Member

Ok, just a quick question.

Is there a known way to run some type of backup server for steam?

Every time we have a LAN, we have to go through the process of a lot of people updating their steam games.

I want to know if there is a way to host the latest version of games on a local server, rather than having 16+ people all downloading the updates?

2. power

power Member

You cannot run a local content server cache - however 1 person could simply share all the files for everyone else to just copy off.

Are you serious though, 16 people are all hitting up Steam at a LAN?

3. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Have them do it at home?

4. bumography

bumography Member

make a batch file to map the network location and then copy the associated folder as well as the steamapp ID file.
    Needs the steamappid file so it doesnt try redownload it etc.

5. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

People don't update their games before going to a LAN?

6. power

power Member

I know occasionally at our LAN's sometimes you won't have something installed, but someone will have it (Origin and Steam) so we'll just copy the files from whomever has them on their box. Fuck getting everyone to d/l them.

7. OP
    OP
    Madchimp

Madchimp Member

Cheers guys.
    I was fairly sure there was no way of running a steam update server locally. Just thought to ask to be sure :thumbup:

And yes, some 'tards don't update some games until a LAN as they only play those games at a LAN I guess :lol:

8. power

power Member

I literally NEVER play BF3 or 4 except when lanning, last 2 lans I've been at had no issues grabbing the files and just whacking them into Origin.

copy over network > downloading 40+GB of BF4.

9. OP
    OP
    Madchimp

Madchimp Member

Yep :thumbup:

10. quickshot84

quickshot84 Member

With high data caps and pretty decent 3g speeds these days, you should have no problem tethering a phone to connect steam online, load the game and then put it in offline mode too

11. millsy

millsy Member

Steamapps folder on a fast usb drive / network share? Done. Just don't use steam backup, it sucks

12. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I'm surprised that Steam still has the back up function. I don't think it's even useful from a legacy point of view either?

If I were to "backup" my Steam games, I'd just image the 2TB drive onto another.

13. millsy

millsy Member

It was good for archiving if you had slow net, but the amount of time it took to restore a game it was ridiculous. In the age of 100mbit net it's just useless.

14. greenhawk

greenhawk Member

It is an issue and some times it is a game killer.

Patches being released the night before, people that just assume things are right. People that have no idea how to do updates offline / file copying.

And if there is a internet connection, people that do not know how to disable auto updates so only the game of interest is being updated (aaarrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!)

LAN gaming is really a dying thing as the needed knowledge is too steep for most people. This was my grip 5 years ago anyway. At least now people can use their phones to get updates instead of just one person who owns the place (home adsl) or has a wireless dongle.

But then the people that do not bring enough cables.......... grrrrr

15. greenhawk

greenhawk Member

the function does work OK but it has too many limitations to be worth using, especially for moving a game between people's PCs.

It needs a lot of processing power/ time to do the backup.
    it needs a net connection for restoring (and sometimes backing up too).
    it wants you to select the game to back up. Which is fine, until you get 20+ games (and who has less than that now)?
    it will only extract if you own the rights to ALL games in the backup file (deal killer there).

getting around some of the above can be done by logging into steam yourself on the PC that is being restored to (even if someone elses), but then with steam guard, you need to approve yourself on each machine. Not going to happen at a LAN. Enough trouble just doing it for a friend.

Steam backup needs a major overall. the DRM related crap to stop incorrect users accessing the files is pointless now days.
    Note: on thinking about it, they can still DRM the settings and saved games for a user, but the generic game data files should be a click and done backup ala zip/rar. None of the current crap. I could live with two types of backups. not sure if it could be sold to the nub users though.

16. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

This is why I still purchase and prioritise games on GOG than Steam. :Paranoid:

Just copy the installer and off we go (even if it isn't up to date).

Steam backup files are terrible, since you spend enormous amounts of time unpacking, installing, then downloading more files to get it updated. The quickest way when in a bind is just to grab the data folder in steamapps from someone who is up to date, but for the love of god virus scan the fucker before it infects everyone on the LAN (LOL).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  17. OP
    OP
    Madchimp

Madchimp Member

But here in Australia, we are (mostly) still stuck with 24mbit (if we're lucky) :lol:

18. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

7MB here and it simply can't cope with a family of 5.

- 5 x PCs for Windows updates (Win 10 so automated)
    - Steam/GoG/EA games and patches
    - Phones & tablets needing updates
    - Netflix
    - Web browsing
    - Backups and client files from Dropbox.

Plus if the kids are home from school we have to work then they have to go without anything leisure related or we can't work.

I have to run around the house manually managing upload/downloads.

FWP I know but I can't even throw money at it to fix it!

19. greenhawk

greenhawk Member

The windows updates can be done with a suitable proxy server (though it helps if you are running the same OS version).

the games, not much there short of a ISP that does not count data so you do not get shaped.

netflix, same as games.

Web browser, even a good one, only does 5-10% savings. Better to run a ad blocker I would think.

dropbox, no chance on fixing that :)

you might have to look into a second connection and linking them.

20. gibbz

gibbz Member