Steam In-Home Streaming - Beta Invites Going Out to Dev's..

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jan 15, 2014.

1. iinsom

iinsom Member

Will this work with any games added to the steam library (external games) or only ones bought through steam?

2. kreegor

kreegor Member

As far as I know it now works with non steam games as well. I haven't tried that yet though.

I've had issues with games where I haven't launched them on the main pc yet and games that cause UAC to launch but all I have to do is go back to the main machine and get the game running and then its ok.

3. iinsom

iinsom Member

So it only streams steam and whatever happens inside?

4. kreegor

kreegor Member

It will stream 3rd party launcher screens etc but these can be a bit touchy if they trip UAC etc.

5. kulprit

kulprit Member

They need to make the host pc somehow run the process in the background. Wanted to use steam streaming last night while my +1 used my PC for some work stuff (her laptop died last week), however couldn't as it took over the screen.

Make boths PCs occupied, rather than just uses the background resources of one, and the screen of the other.

6. cheddo7

cheddo7 Member

Have been really enjoying experimenting with this at home.
    Quite a strange sensation playing a very graphically intense new game sitting on bed on my Macbook Air, and it doesn't even fire up the fans or get warm, this is very promising for lower spec'd laptops or HTPC's. Also have noticed some of the following:

PC only titles now work on OSX natively if sharing from host PC
    PC controllers do not work on OSX PC titles :(
    OSX boot camped into Windows 7 Xbox360 controller works flawlessly :)
    Some games do trip UAC on host PC, sometimes workaround being concurrent teamviewer session to click OK etc
    Need a good Wifi connection - 5ghz works well for most titles, 2.4 needs very close distance
    EOP connection works flawlessly, HTPC plays shares from office PC and can't tell the difference when sitting on the couch
    Some titles do not work at all no matter how the work around, hope they keep working on this

Keen to try a lower spec'd atom system to test - would be great if we could see this cross platform to iOS and Android.
    Need to test removal of UAC on host PC (office pc in sig below).
    Due to my office PC being quite a power hungry system, I have since started experimenting with running from my HTPC with the LCD switched off to reduce power consumption that works very well, until my wife or son want to watch TV :(
    So, have installed steam onto my server AMD FX-4100 and put an older ATi 5770 in it, sits in behind a wall and is silent thanks to its position, and with most older titles is working amazingly well as a game streamer for most resolutions.
    Basically anything made by Valve works instantly straight off the bat and others are touch and go.
    As mentioned earlier, you can add non steam titles to work through home streaming, but some games that rely on Origin or other launchers do stop working.

May have to look at a low cost tablet hybrid like the Asus T100 as a small gaming machine!

7. kingmoron

kingmoron Member

if you put a video capture app (say for a hdmi in) will it still be able to stream the overlay?