Steam Play Proton compatibility layer thread.

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by flu!d, Aug 23, 2018.

1. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I'm personally loving this latest move by Valve. Adding the Proton compatibility layer, in itself a modified fork of WINE complete with DXVK, is IMO a great move. While we have to keep in mind that Valve aren't exactly 'friends of Linux' and obviously this is a clever business move in an attempt to break the Windows monopoly in order for Valve to put more of their eggs in alternate baskets, it's great to have a big player in PC gaming provide such a big incentive for Linux gaming as a whole.

So far I've tried a stack of older games ranging from Stalker through to EA Red Alert 2 classics through to the titles supported by Valve themselves and most games have been as simple as opening the native Linux Steam port (no Windows Steam necessary), installing the desired title and hitting play - Basically when playing my games I have no idea that I'm not running native Windows until I exit the game by clicking 'Exit to Windows'. Performance so far has been fantastic with no fps drops under 60fps.

I've uninstalled Wine and Lutris for the time being.

Here's a quick video of me launching and playing Doom 2016, excuse my ugly mug and work shirt, for some reason I just cannot get the camera to focus on the display's - But you get the idea.

self_slaughter and elvis like this.
  2. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Working:
    Max Payne 2
    GTA San Andreas
    Deus Ex - Human Revolution (tiny bit laggy in places but perfectly playable)

Not Working:

Duke Nukem Forever - Installs all dependences successfully but doesn't start, silently fails (no real loss there)
    LA Noire - .NET Framework won't install (error about needing to install using turn windows features on/off), so the launcher can't start
    System Shock: Enhanced edition - Starts, however graphics are FUBAR. Unplayable.
    Max Payne 3 - Won't start (ERR_GFX_D3D_NOD1X_4)
    GTA IV - Won't start (fatal error)

This was on Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 on a Sandy Bridge Xeon with an R9 380x using the drivers from Padoka stable PPA.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    flu!d

My biggest problem is that I don't have enough Windows titles under Steam to test, this is going to cost me a fortune!

Apparently Valve are all over the bug reports though, they've just improved performance of Proton by removing debug symbols in binaries.

4. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

I've basically tried my entire Windows steam library now, since there's been a Steam for Linux I've pretty much only bought games which support Linux on principle. I'm hopeful Proton will allow me to get rid of my Windows gaming machine at long last!

5. kogi

kogi Member

Plants vs zombies, no sound :(
    EDIT: also crashes before gameplay

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    flu!d

General_Cartman likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    flu!d

A quick and dirty video of me playing CoD MW2 under Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS. Runs bloody great, the integration is so seamless and performance was fine. My skills are rubbish as I haven't played this game in years.

elvis likes this.