Steam Users See Big Problems With Charging For Mods

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by whatdoesthisdo, Apr 24, 2015.

1. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Interesting and as TB discuss's their are Pro's and Con's to this. My biggest gripe is obviously the theft of other peoples Mod's but more importantly taking 75% of the takings. That is a huge percentage no matter how you look at it.

Anyway thoughts?

Article
    http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/04/steam-users-see-big-problems-with-charging-for-mods/

Note: Valve has confirmed to me that publishers/developers get to decide the amount of revenue they take from mods if they choose to let players sell them. Valve, meanwhile, takes “the same share of sales as any other microtransaction sale.”)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2015
  2. Domokun

Domokun Member

Taking into consideration Valve's recent business model (micro-transactions, regional pricing, etc.), why are they still being championed as the saviours of PC gaming?

3. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Steam are no longer a gaming developer. Rather, a gaming distribution company who isn't releasing any games and is trying to develop hardware system that isn't necessary.

Nexus websites have always been the source for my Skyrim mods.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  4. FiShy

FiShy Member

I will never buy a mod.

5. Domokun

Domokun Member

You've never paid for DLC?

6. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

You don't own team fortress or counterstrike?

7. r8response

r8response Member

Saw this same sort of shit happen to the racing sim (rFactor) community. The "go to" website decided one day to monetise mods....

Within 6 months, the modding community had all but died. It's slowly recovering now. But the damage was done.

8. OP
    OP
    whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

[​IMG]

Care to elaborate? You don't think modders deserve the money? Becuase of steam cut, what?

Why is coming back, people realise that this is the future or they removed the payment aspect?

9. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

I think this is a step in a good direction, not sure if it's the right step though. It all depends on how Valve and the steam workshop community handle it from now on. A huge amount of mods use assets released under creative commons and can't be legally sold, there's also the issue of mod theft. Given valve are offering this platform it is ultimately up to them to do the policing.

Steam workshop isn't the place to go for mods (Nexus is), but it gives people a platform to monetise them and if it ultimately entices more skilled content creators to put out mods I think it's an overall plus. Of course you're going to get the mods where people charge $30 for horse armour but hey, they're going to hit the bottom of the bin soon enough.

Whats more worrying is whether or not Bethesda restrict mods to steam workshop in future games.

10. r8response

r8response Member

The website that decided to make money from it, eventually died as nobody was using it. The major mod groups, washed their hands of the website and struck out on their own. It fractured what was a strong community.

People have moved onto a different games (Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2).

I'm waiting for the inevitable stories of Mods being made by a small team, one of the members then locks everyone else out and takes all the proceeds.

11. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

As content creator myself I usually make mods for free. Not because i don't value my work or time, but because there are some legal issues i rather not worry about.
    There are plenty of other ways to distribute game mods and Steam workshop is a pain in the ass anyway. I've been releasing content on Steam workshop for VoidExpanse and i hate their uploader thing. Every change i make corrupts save games through Steam workshop where as manual updates don't.

To me this 75% cut seems like a greedy move on Valve's part.

Plus there are problems with Copyright ownership, trademarks and IPs claims over assets and code. Steam will have to police a problem that doesn't exist without official monetisation. A lot of mods are legally questionable out there, especially with copyright infringement, recognisable trademarks, and recycling code. In VoidExpanse there are several mods that add ships from Star Wars, Star Trek and Homeworld franchises. All of those mods are a breach of copyright and infringes on the rights of the copyright holders. Now some countries have generous fair use clauses, which exempt them from legal consequences under strict conditions, but most don't apply when you monetise or sell the mod, as it becomes a commercial use which voids fair use claims.

12. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Good mods no doubt deserve some reward , my gripe is the percentage taken by either Bethesda/Valve.

13. r8response

r8response Member

Valve are now removing links for people to donate to mod creators instead of going through Steam.

They're also banning people from the steam forums for sharing a negative opinion about the introduction of paid mods.

14. FiShy

FiShy Member

Nope, got tf2 for freeeeee.

DLC means it comes with a warranty from the publisher it will work with the game and any future patches/changes to the game.

Mods are "as-is" and could become useless if the developer release a DLC that changes somthing

I am happy to support modders but this buying somthing that has no warranty and its already bad enough getting buggy shit from developers.

Mods are the wild west of gaming and thats half the fun, adding a cost changes the way the whole system is...

Game X comes out with a broken feature so a mod fixes it (like a npc/quest fix), now that modder adds a cost. Does this mean that no other modders can make mods that fix it for free?

15. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

75% ! That's crazy...what incentive would a mod maker have in putting the file/s up on Steam ? It would have to be insanely popular to turn a profit

16. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

75% is Valves cut of 30% + whatever the Producer of the Game wants. So Bethesda is taking a solid portion too and the mod-maker, well he is getting screwed.

I suppose at least he is making something out of it.

17. OP
    OP
    whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

and that is a very valid point as steam states that you get a 24hr refund but nothing after that. Buyer beware!

Again another interesting point? Or do they police this. There is no copyright behind a mod, so what is to stop people putting up mods that aren't theirs or as you say, stops other people making a mod that fixes said problem.

He definitely is getting screwed, I think 30% is still a huge margin for doing very little but yes at least he is getting something.

TBH the more we talk about this I think a donation button would be far more acceptable.

18. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

If they're taking 75%, mod makers will deliberately set their prices higher so they can make decent $ off the mods....which will in turn cause people not to buy them as they are too expensive.

19. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

If anything hopefully this raised donations and awareness for current model devs. there are a few issues really should throw a few dollars at

20. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Also crappy individuals who steal mods, modify it slightly and redistribute it to turn a quick buck. Is steam going to police piracy?

A poorly conceived plan from top to bottom. Should be fun watching which way the modding community swings. I for one won't be uploading any more mods to Steam workshop for now.