STEAM/VALVE: The beginning of the end..

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by BobJustBob, Aug 8, 2018.

1. BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

laugh all you want, it's started. the next cod, cod4 is not going to be sold on steam. (unless that changes from now, though i think unlikely) now comes news bethesda's fallout mmo, vault 76 or whatever, is not going be on steam and is going to use it's own client.

this, two major players, and no matter your hate, activision/bethesda are huge and own major franchises, seemingly pulling out or partially (and rumors say no new bethesda titles will come to steam either, though i am not sure about that yet) from steam is big.

i am one of those who never accepted steam or even liked it, but was forced to use it. for me this is great news. don't bring up several clients, since we already have that. ubisoft which is also huge and has even more franchises, uses uplay on top of steam for any game rekeased in the last few years.

since greenlight and especially direct, steam is flooded with pure trash, hundreds a day. it's now a mess and some (like me) think from this alone valve can't recover. as a metaphor, they have been accused of child molestation, not proved, but it sticks.

don't bother showing me that they make 3 billion or whatever a year and that it's a private company. not the point. if even a few more big players pull out, what will be the draw? just wait until ubisof pulls out. that truly will be the end. yeah, it will take time, but it will happen.

i know most responses will be defensive and deflective and dismissive, and i know why. you're scared and don't want to think about losing all your games. "it can never happen", "they're private" "blah blah"..

thus, it begins...

the_fuzz likes this.
  2. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

3. oculi

oculi Member

I hope it does go down the gurgler, maybe then they will be forced to actually make some games again, like halflife: episode whatever

banshee and Tinian like this.
  4. Nerb

Nerb Member

This should be terrible news to you. Why did you not like steam? For that same reason, why would you like other platforms? You didnt like steam but now you will have a dozen steam type apps on your computer!
    I cant say I was a fan when steam was introduced either, but now they want me to have a similar platform for every publisher? Every game bought will be effectively 2 programs instead of one? I think this is screwed.
    All I can pray for is that the platforms never have to be seen, like steam, where I run my game from the desktop icon, steam logs in and I play the game. If I have to open the platform, sift through the adverts to get to my game launcher, I'll be going back to piracy like avoiding drm on scratched cd's in the 90's.

RnR, WRX_STi and banshee like this.
  5. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I don't want it to go down gurgler I have thousands invested. It won't go down totally but I have a feeling they will need to change their business model to fix things up.. Perhaps discounting the cut from AAA games that sell over 100k copies or whatever.

6. havabeer

havabeer Member

I just want half life 3

7. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Begins? Origin launched in 2011, so it's not like its a new thing for big publishers to move to their own store client. Many of PC's biggest games aren't even on steam so I don't see this having much impact.

What's more interesting is Fortnite bypassing the play store on android. It might be the beginning of pressure on stores to lower their "standard" 30% cut.

8. AzzX

AzzX Member

A difficult one to rationalise.

Valve have a decent monopoly of the PC gaming space and I dare say they helped bring PC gaming back from the nether. Everyone now wants a piece of the pie so Its understandable Bethesda wants in on the action and keep the Steam fee for themselves - whether or not this ends up being worth it in terms of sales is probably something they will look at after release.

To be honest I am not a fan of walled garden environments like the App store, Google Play or Steam - at least with Steam and Play there is a 3rd party market for games - not perfect but better than other solutions.

A platform that is decentralised, community driven and owned by no one is what I really want - A gaming platform is almost the perfect service to put on a public blockchain and let its users run it - when this happens, the days of Steam et all are numbered.

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  9. Sinisstar

Sinisstar Member

Steam won't be going anywhere while they have thousands of pure shovelware games to keep it going. A lot of the big players already have their own platforms like Origin, Uplay and Battle net....personally out of convenience I would prefer to have all my games on Steam.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  10. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

I don't get the hate to be honest and I bet most people who hate steam engage with another corporation which is equally unethical and can't see their hypocrisy.

It's capitalism in action and until someone steps up with a solid platform to compete with it, Steam will still be around.

11. Sledge

Sledge Member

I just wish i could turn off download scheduling...
    and CoD missing from steam? big whoop.. don't play it any more

12. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

At least it isn't windows 10 store I guess.. That's the worst.

13. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

my hate isn't for steam per se. it is steam now, since they are the defacto pc gaming platform - unfortunately. wanna game major pc games, the AAA stuff? you use steam or pirate. not sure how cracks do these days though.
    i have a lot of games on steam, more than many here. yes, ironic. so i would lose more than most anyone here. i will not be using other services either. i already don't. i don't have any ea game since they left steam - surprise! i will not use battle-net or anything else. if uplay leaves steam, i'm done with uplay. so in my case i will not follow those companies. so why am i happy? because i need to be freed from so many games.

i would prefer to be able to play 30 or so (1 per month) AAA games a year with some smaller/indie/aa thrown in around. i'd save a lot of money and be more focused. it's fun to go to an all you can eat, but overall, going to a regular restaurant is better. okay, so i'm gonna share now. i have over 10k games on steam. surprised? i technically don't want to lose them, obviously, but fuck it. i suppose what i want is to not buy so much on steam. i'm an addict and i can't help myself so i want outside to do it for me. yeah, i'm selfish, go figure. if more and more major companies leave steam, for me, that is perfect. interestingly i can stop cold at such times. i don't even care about outside games. i already don't for over 8 years since my steam addiction began. and i buy most major game at full price, so it's hurting. but i do it. okay, i don't smoke or drink or do drugs like most of you (yeah, yeah, chill it) so i dump what little i have into my hobby. but i know i have a problem and i need help.

mind you, let's be frank. ultimately my problem is drm, even if weak like steam. i have an amazing library of games on steam and i know one day it will not be there. that is my problem really. i don't have the same issue with gog, for obvious reasons, but gog is basically a joke. yeah ok, they now have like 2-3 semi aaa games coming. darksiders 3 and 2-3 others. their volume of releases is a joke. if major games came to gog too, i'd switch. that is, i'd start buying the aaa 60usd games on gog and maybe later on steam just to have them there too..

as for the "ea left in 2011" comment? hah. that's exactly it. one major company leaving steam is something valve can ignore. 2, yeah, 3, aha, but after a couple more, na ah. it's still technically not absolute, but if bethesda no longer releases any game going forward on steam, not just that fallout mmo, that alone is big news and will hurt steam. if activsion will do the same and this isn't only for just blops4, that will also hurt and if they both do it aound the same time -which as of this time seems to be happening- it's a heavy hit to steam as a store. not to gabe's pocket or whatever. to reiterate, ea is long gone. now it seems bethesda and activision may be leaving too. if that is the case, it really has started.

14. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

:lol: Signature worthy I think.

RnR likes this.
  15. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

I buy 25% GoG, 50% Steam, and the rest on whatever. I tend to use uPlay/Origin only when I get discounted key. Most of my "new" games are on Steam due to Humble Bundle or Kickstarter keys. But, I'm finding I'm buying less because of lower prices and my patience for discounts due to my horrendous pile of shame.

GoG is a winner for me, as I can easily share my games with my family :) I also feel most AAA's need time to get realistic reviews and/or patches to make them worth getting then I hold out for discounts.

EA Premium is interesting for Anthem and BF, but I have all the back catalog so might not be worth it.

Shortcuts on my desktop:

PoE II - KS > GoG
    Kingdom Come - Discounted on GoG
    FarCry 5 > Cheap legal key > Uplay
    Moonlighter > GoG
    Nier > Discounted on Steam
    Endless Space 2 > Humble > Steam
    FFXV > Discounted on Steam
    Starfighter > KS > EA on Steam

16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I think you're over estimating the emotional investment people have in brand loyalty.

We've all seen companies come and go. And I don't think there's a (rational) human alive that emotionally invests in a single gaming distributor, developer or publisher to the levels you're considering.

More than that, competition is good for everyone. It motivates companies, and it gives consumers choice.

I don't think Valve will die. Like everyone, they'll need to change. No gaming company is the same today as it was 10 years ago, and Valve are no special exception. They too have to evolve with and fit in to the market, just like everyone else.

walker_2003 and Rubberband like this.
  17. Sinisstar

Sinisstar Member

I'd just like to see Valve go back to making games...HL3 and a new Day of Defeat please Gabe...

18. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

I don't understand the hate for Steam either, pretty handy platform for a lot of good titles and helpful for indie developers too. Sure there is a lot of trash on there, but they are easy to ignore.
    I agree that without Steam, PC gaming platform would have died a long time ago - as Valve were the only ones flying the flag it seemed back then.

Now, more and more distribution platforms is getting slightly annoying, but I still prefer a platforms to hundreds of individual installers/downloaders - developers are getting greedy and want to pay less distribution costs I guess. Still I don't see Steam falling over anytime soon, and I hope not too as well.

19. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

That is one brilliant thing about steam, everything is there ready for download should you want it rather than having to save off all those installers and updates. Of course when it's not it's then an issue that keeping the installer saves (and yes there are ways to backup steam I know). In my experience, it's always just worked.

Having multiple plaforms would be a pain, especially since all the different clients would want to stay loaded by default (no doubt), but I'm sure market forces would likely sort them out.

20. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

With the stupid amount of money steam is making just from the market, STEAM is not going anywhere.