SteamVR - Consumer VR is almost here

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Murmandamus, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Sledge

Sledge Member

2. Howiefied

Howiefied Member

Just FYI, I got hit with $83 customs duty, FedEx requested payment before release.

3. HeXa

HeXa Member

my understanding is VR headsets are duty exempt

there could however be sales tax (GST) payable and a $50 import processing charge

4. Imperitos

Imperitos Member

Same here :D Happens to also be my day off work.

I'll be honest, with the report of possible shipping delays I realistically wasn't expecting it until May. At least I now have a rough idea how much I may be in for in terms of extra charges. Now gotta get off my ass and install some games to try this thing out with. :tongue:

5. osmodiar

osmodiar Member

Intriguing. Does it specify Australian dollars?

Was definitely hoping we'd escape the extra fees but it makes sense that HTC have been using the delay to fix that issue with this shipment.

It's still less than expected though, not too bad. The NZ people that got charged were paying like NZ$245 extra..

6. Howiefied

Howiefied Member

Shows up as australian dollar on my bank statement.

7. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Both my Vive and Oculus CV1 made it through customs without extra tax (both first shipments)

It looks like HTC paid the tax for me. Oculus shipping ended up being free. Pretty nice prices at the end of the day, even with a slight AU tax.

8. Sledge

Sledge Member

So which do you prefer? I'm thinking the Vive is better?

9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The Vive is 1000x better.

The downside of VR at the moment is lack of games with a lot of depth or gameplay story hours which you might often find in seated games.

The Oculus doesn't have any better seated games then the Vive so I don't know why you would settle for the platform that is much worse.

Things could change with the touch, but until then you are making a big gamble on Oculus.

10. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

I wouldn't say Vive, not yet

There's a lot more to do with the Oculus at the moment. Plus there's a lot of support for existing games (especially with VorpX). You can find nice little free games and tech demos in various places. With the Vive, 99.9% of them are tied to the Steam store at an inflated price.

I bought 2 of the most popular games and finished each within less than 2 hours, yet one was $30 and the other $20. They're glorified tech demos, I'd hardly call them games. They are fun, but that shouldn't detract from the fact that if any other game did this without a 'VR' label slapped on it, people wouldn't stand for it.

I must have bought another 8 or so, but they're even less like games, it's mostly playing with physics. Yes, room scale is cool, but it gets old once you run out of games to play. I played the free archery game in TheLab more than I played anything I paid for.

That might change when Arizona Sunshine comes out, that looks like someone's put some effort into the gameplay.

I also like Oculus for Subnautica and Project Cars. I'm going to try to get it working in ARMA3 tonight for flying jets.

What I'd suggest more than anything is not taking the word from any one person who has just one of these things. Or to a lesser extent, someone who owns both. After having tried them both I can confirm that a lot of people are full of shit and there's a lot of fanboy fueled misinformation out there. You really have to try them for yourself and weigh up which is better for what you want.

I bought both of them to pick only one and sell the other, and the one I'm selling will be the Vive.

11. Velicoma

Velicoma Member

How so? Is this just due to the touch controllers?

12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Oculus has more seated games temporarily because of exclusives, how is this not obvious to you that this is a temporary situation? There will be no more exclusives.

I've spent 7 hours in audioshield and there is quite a long list of Vive games, yes some are a little expensive but thats VR for you right now. Elite Dangerous is an option, I had a lot of fun with it on my Vive.

Subnautica, Project Cars and Arma 3 will be coming to the Vive and we also have a new program on Steam to give general support for all games in VR although I'm not sure how well it works.

Its quite simple, the Oculus is not better, as headsets they are basically the same, that is fact.

The difference for the Vive is that its backed by Valve/Steam and has touch controllers as standard so developers know everyone has one.

Oculus launched with just over 30 games and I think the Vive lauched with over 100 or something. This proves that developers like the vive, why would you go against that?

More and more games are coming out for the Vive every day its very obvious that the decision has already been made, the Vive has won.

There is no scenario where buying an oculus because they don't do anything better but don't have the backing of Valve, they simply can't win.

Also making a decision on the Oculus specifically because Oclulus paid for exclusives and it having some extra support for games because they were public first is silly because its such a short sighted decision. Since all the developers have chosen the Vive the Oculus will get less and less support every day. We might see equal support once they have motion controllers but then consider all the people who don't have them?

That and as I mentioned game developers have chosen the Vive and its touch controllers so gambling on the Oculus makes no sense as even with the touch controllers its no better then the Vive.

Seated gameplay is boring for the most part and unless you have steering wheel or joystick gives a very poor VR effect. The oculus is all about playing with an xbox controller which shows you how much of a joke the company is.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  13. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Nobody said it was better. I specifically stated that people should form their own opinions as to what better suits them.

Who made this decision?

Does quantity dictate quality for you? Most of the games are utter junk.

This is what I was referring to earlier on. This attitude of 'winning' and defending one device like you have some sort of personal attachment to it is only going to make you come off as a biased fanatic. That's fine, but not everyone is going to share your point of view. Do you think I'm selling the Vive for fun? I extensively tried both, and I'd prefer the Oculus.

Quoting big numbers and imaginary scenarios where one device 'wins' doesn't constitute any sort of argument in the real world, take your headset off.

14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Anyone making the decision should know that there is no actual reason to choose the oculus, thats my point.

The quality of VR games isn't really relevant is it? Both headsets have basic/short/limited games. Most of Reddit hate the Oculus exclusives and love many of the Vive room scale games. All the AAA games that have some partial support for the oculus are going to have proper support for both headsets soon. Being impatient and choosing the oculus because of that makes no sense.

I totally agree that making your own decision is a good thing but I find that very hard to recommend right now unless you simply don't buy either and wait.

The Oculus Touch is meant to be similar to the Vive but the camera based movement and other factors make many people think it will be worse, but it could be better we don't know.

So realistically you are comparing the Oculus with a few boring seated games that can't access 80% of the games without buying Oculus Touch which may not be very good or be compatible with the Vive games which most developers have moved to.

Vive will get 100% of seated games and have room scale games as well as having developer support.

So honestly if you don't want the Vive I would either wait or buy a PSVR because there is no logic in buying an Oculus right now.

And before you say the PSVR isn't coming out for ages I would check Oculus delivery dates because many people aren't receiving their preorders until July-August and beyond.

The Oculus has already been deceitful with delivery dates, FOV and more, why you would put trust Facebook to eventually become the VR Gaming platform in the future is very strange.

And why not choose the open standard? Vive uses the open standard along with the devs... its so simple.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  15. osmodiar

osmodiar Member

Curious about this, is your tracking showing Singapore currently? (same flight?) Did you get the customs charge by email or phone or?

I haven't seen anything about that yet.. Did miss a call from a private number yesterday though?

16. HeXa

HeXa Member

why keep a rift CV1 if it makes you sick? :confused:

17. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Does Vive have asynchronous timewarp?

I don't see how Vive can maintain judder free experiences in PCars or DCS, FSX/P3D without ATW.

I don't care one iota for roomscale or touch controllers.

I don't see how Vive is clearly better.

And anyone who actually HAS a VR headset would know that there are actually very few games available right now to play. Most are merely tech demos and are 5 mins of fun.

18. osmodiar

osmodiar Member

Sounds like your choice is easy, buy an Oculus :D

Personally I'm absolutely peaking about the roomscale aspect, and i've got the room for it so the Vive was the obvious choice at this stage.

Mine is in Sydney! :shock:

19. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Just so you know, the only "tech demos" I've played have literally been demos. On all my actual games I have significant time logged.

The Vive has reprojection so yes it can handle low fps, but I have it disabled and FSX works fine without it, I only have a 290x as well. DCS works fine for me if I adjust my settings

Having said that I don't have my scenery packs yet so I might need to enable it at that point.

I do have a HTC Vive and have used the Oculus. The Oculus has barely any games, the Vive has a lot of games but as most VR games are short at the moment it can get expensive.

Most games have a lot of replay value so just buy the games you like, if you want an actual single player experience for hours I don't think you will find anything but Elite Dangerous.

In that case you shouldn't buy either headset because you will probably need to wait another 6 months so you can pay your $50 for 10 hours gameplay or you can hope that some random AAA game will have VR support. Everyone else is going to be happy paying $20-30 for really amazing games and have a lot of fun.

Anyone that has used room scale properly would know that the Oculus is basically garbage without its touch controllers.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  20. ADV

ADV Member

I have an extremely large view field for my eyes, as in my peripheral vision is almost 90 degree's left and right of each eye.

For those who have used both oculus and vive, which one has a better field of view, which one totally covers your vision field?